The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2017, 09:44 AM   #1
igrout

Z Bar Pivot Ball Threaded in Block: Is there a bracket for 4x4 SBC?

Hello All,

I'm collecting parts / research for a SM465 4 speed swap into my 1972 Blazer 350 4x4.

I noticed that my engine block does not have the threaded hole for the Pivot Ball (on the block side of the Z Bar).

I know that I could drill / tap a hole in there, but there are things in the way that would make it difficult to get the hole straight while the engine is in the truck.

Is there a store bought bracket that could mount the pivot ball (on the block side) that would use different holes to mount it? I know I have seen brackets like this in the Summit catalog but I don't know if they would work with the engine location in the 4x4 blazer. Thanks!

-Ian
igrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:16 PM   #2
cleszkie

Re: Z Bar Pivot Ball Threaded in Block: Is there a bracket for 4x4 SBC?

That is a good question. What are the particulars of your SBC? All I know is that my original 350 SBC had provisions for the screw in stud (two-piece real main seal, driver side dipstick, flat tappet cam), and so does the newer 350 SBC I built (one-piece real main seal, passenger side dipstick, roller cam). You may have a newer generation SBC (post 1995?) that does not have provisions for the ball stud. What do the part descriptions for the brackets you found indicate? It is most likely a replacement for the original bracket needed for the 2x4 applications. Worst case scenario you install a hydraulic throw-out bearing, slave cylinder, and pedal driven master cylinder system, and do away with all of the mechanical linkage. Or you just pull the motor and drill and tap for the ball stud.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote