The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #1
77 ChevySport

Smile New Picture of 77 Chevy Sport

Came across a picture of a 77 Chevy Sport that I never saw before. Don't know if this was an official ad from GM or not. Note: Locking Gas Cap and it looks to have "Bucket Seats". Larry P.S. Does anybody know anything about this picture?
Attached Images

77 ChevySport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:30 AM   #2
oldpurple

Re: New Picture of 77 Chevy Sport

Seems weird that it doesn't have center caps.
oldpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:27 PM   #3
80SPORT

Looks to be a magazine article....may not have been PDI'd when they did picture.Also missing the lights that should be on the 9J9 sport/roll bar.Those were also installed as part of PDI.
80SPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:54 PM   #4
77 ChevySport

FWIW: That blue interior has to be super rare. AFAIK: There was only two exterior colors>White & Black. Not sure how many interior colors where offered with the 77 Chevy Sport. Red>Blue and ?? Does anybody know?? Larry
P.S. I do not think Black was an interior color option; but could be wrong.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:19 PM   #5
80SPORT

I have seen black/white/light blue and silver.
Black was the most popular by far.
The picture of the silver one was taken at the dealer when new.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2017, 05:18 PM   #6
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

What kind of switch for the roll bar lights? Jay
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:54 AM   #7
77 ChevySport

Thanks for the added info. I never knew that Silver was an exterior option. Still looking for interior color options. I have every conceivable paperwork/sales brochures for the the 77 except one. The one I have been looking for for years is the "ordering guide" for the dealers for the Chevy Sport. I have the regular "Sales Guide" for all 1977 Trucks. (P/U;Blazers;Suburbans&etc.) shown below.
It shows 1975(just do not have a picture of the 1977 that I have) It is about 3" thick. (NO WHERE IN THIS BOOK IS THE WORD "CHEVY SPORT") mentioned. I suspect because it was a COPO which is very special and had its own paperwork generated. Thanks--Larry
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2017, 06:52 AM   #8
80SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Port Jimmy 6 View Post
What kind of switch for the roll bar lights? Jay
By fuel tank switch...
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2017, 12:44 AM   #9
allchevy58

I wanted a black interior when I ordered mine and they told me no black interior. I ordered it with a red interior. My 83' had a charcoal interior, don't know if that was available in 77'.
1927 Willy's Knight 24,000 original miles, 1958 Impala 283/Powerglide, 1964 C-30 383/4 speed, 1971 Monte Carlo 350/350, 1972 GMC K2500 350/350, 1976 Chev. K10 350/350, 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LBZ Duramax/Allison, 2006 Chev. Silverado K3500 LBZ Duramax/Allison
allchevy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:02 AM   #10
Beer can

The dealer picture that 80 sport posted doesn't appear to have center caps or roll bar lights either
Beer can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:24 PM   #11
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 ChevySport View Post
Came across a picture of a 77 Chevy Sport that I never saw before. Don't know if this was an official ad from GM or not. Note: Locking Gas Cap and it looks to have "Bucket Seats". Larry P.S. Does anybody know anything about this picture?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SPORT View Post
I have seen black/white/light blue and silver.
Black was the most popular by far.
The picture of the silver one was taken at the dealer when new.
My Uncle had a K10 version of the black one in post #1, maybe that's why I always liked the Chevy Sports - or maybe it's just because they're cool. Aside from that black one, which did seem relatively common back in that time frame, I've seen a silver one, but never the great white whale, other than the brochure you shared 80SPORT. Does anyone have an in the wild picture of a white one - I think that's quite a color combo... Well, they all are. Been on the lookout for one, who knows, may find one someday and will have to make some room in the garage.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:30 PM   #12
77 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 ChevySport View Post
Thanks for the added info. I never knew that Silver was an exterior option. Still looking for interior color options. I have every conceivable paperwork/sales brochures for the the 77 except one. The one I have been looking for for years is the "ordering guide" for the dealers for the Chevy Sport. I have the regular "Sales Guide" for all 1977 Trucks. (P/U;Blazers;Suburbans&etc.) shown below.
It shows 1975(just do not have a picture of the 1977 that I have) It is about 3" thick. (NO WHERE IN THIS BOOK IS THE WORD "CHEVY SPORT") mentioned. I suspect because it was a COPO which is very special and had its own paperwork generated. Thanks--Larry
I have a "1977 Chevrolet Truck Values - Product Training" loose leaf notebook. Here is a page about the Chevy Sport.

I remember the chrome locking gas caps, mentioned on this page and on my Fleetside Sport, as being wide enough to completely fill the body recess for the filler tubes. So they seemed to be special to the Sport. I'd love to find two for my truck.

Also, my Sport had the Sport rail. I thought it was a rollbar when I first saw the truck, back in 1978, but it was pretty thin material and only bolted to the floor of the bed and to the rear wheel tubs. The rail had mounts for lights and holes for snaking wires from those mounts. I did not have the extra light switch inside the cab so maybe the dealer added the Sport rail.

Bob
Attached Images

77 Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:34 PM   #13
1774btcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SPORT View Post
By fuel tank switch...
I have one of those Aux light switches. The lettering is way sun faded though!

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #14
77 ChevySport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Sport View Post
I have a "1977 Chevrolet Truck Values - Product Training" loose leaf notebook. Here is a page about the Chevy Sport.

I remember the chrome locking gas caps, mentioned on this page and on my Fleetside Sport, as being wide enough to completely fill the body recess for the filler tubes. So they seemed to be special to the Sport. I'd love to find two for my truck.

Also, my Sport had the Sport rail. I thought it was a rollbar when I first saw the truck, back in 1978, but it was pretty thin material and only bolted to the floor of the bed and to the rear wheel tubs. The rail had mounts for lights and holes for snaking wires from those mounts. I did not have the extra light switch inside the cab so maybe the dealer added the Sport rail.

Bob
Thanks 77 Sport for that ordering guide posted. I'm don't think I have ever seen one lately. The biggest surprise on(For Me) it was that Bucket Seats where only available in Blue. I often thought I should have ordered mine with Bucket Seats but now I'm not so sure since the B/S where not
available in Red. Still believe the best combo on anything(Like Corvettes/Camaro's) is Black exterior with Red interior. But that's just me.JMHO Larry