The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2018, 03:11 PM   #1
bautino95

Gonna try trex as new bed wood question

Hi all. I've done some searches about the trex or composite decking bed wood replacements but have one question I didn't really see addressed in all the old post. The original wood is 3/4" thick right? I cant find composite decking with that thickness. Only a little thinner or thicker and I don't want to mill a whole board down to the right thickness. does it make a big difference if its say 5/8 or 9/16 thick compared to the 3/4 thickness where it sits on the ledge at the front of the bed and at the rear at the tail gate. Hope that makes sense. thanks

Last edited by bautino95; 08-05-2018 at 04:11 PM.
bautino95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:12 PM   #2
BRL

Re: Gonna try trex as new bed wood question

Yep, you got the right idea IMHO.

Sheet of 3/4" marine plywood here, probably never see an actual bed wood kit again.

Plastic might be even better...how long you plan on living?

...oh yea, I ment to post a picture to give you an idea...duh.

BRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:11 PM   #3
AussieinNC

Look up Armorguard decking....its 3/4" thick by 6" wide.....

Comes in various colors....

Not sure how you intend to secure it...

The bed frame actually twists and moves around, so you cant really thru mount it...

Havent tried using a router to run the standard mount grooves but imagine the plastic would not like it too much....

It all comes down to how much money you want to spend...and how creative you want to be...

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:20 PM   #4
Mike C

I'm going to do the trex in mine as well. I already have it as I got a hookup from a guy I did some work for. $20 for enough to do my bed. I figure i might have to tweak the side rails down onto the shorter boards but the rest of it will snug right up. The stuff I got is gray so it matches my truck as well already. I'm just trying to make up my mind on painted or brushed stainless strips.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:23 PM   #5
FL71C10

I have thought about doing that as well but wondered how it would look once you cut the grooves for the bed strips. The protection on Trex board seems to come from plastic skin on them, and it seems like if you cut that groove, it would affect the integrity?
Old 08-05-2018, 09:33 PM   #6
bautino95

I've built decks out of Trex and it cuts like butter. so I was gonna cut the recessed grooves for the hold down strips on my table saw. so its basically being held down just like the factory did. My biggest problem is I have a long bed so my selection of the composite boards are limited to getting 12 foot lengths and cutting them down to 97". then the second problem is the width and thickness I can get in the 12 foot length. I cant find anything in 3/4" thickness. Then out of the above problem I need to either get wider fascia board and rip it down to the correct width, that will let me reuse the hold down bolt holes. or I can get narrower board that are only 5-1/2" wide so I would have to drill new hold down bolt holes. the narrow boards are cheaper by $400 for the whole project. decisions, decisions. thanks
Old 08-05-2018, 09:37 PM   #7
FL71C10

yeah, it's expensive. I ended up buying pressure treated boards in longer lengths, and had to get 10" wide boards for the widest ones. 8" boards arent quite wide enough.

I primed the boards with POR15 primer, and then painted them with rustoleum paint. Hard as a rock.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:01 AM   #8
Jim Boy

Smile Re: Gonna try trex as new bed wood question

How about expansion and contraction in the sun? Just a thought re deck movement. Good luck.
Jim Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:59 AM   #9
MattPSU

I used Trex fascia boards. They're a little wider and the color is only on the edged and one face. But we were able to cut & route them just like factory, but we taped them up because the saws would leave marks on them. This is for a custom show truck, so we were extra careful.

We mocked the wood up and it sat for 6 months while the truck was being painted, and some of the wood did twist/warp.
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Cheyenne SWB - Build: Porterbuilt State 1 Front & Rear, Bolt in Notch, McGaughys 2.5 Drop Spindles, Boyd Welding Fuel Tank

UPSTATE SC GM TRUCK CLUB: FACEBOOK WEBSITE
MattPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

You could put notches in the Trex to leave 3/4" over the cross supports. There are better products (all poly) in 3/4" like Azek and other cheaper alternatives that are just as good. I only know of t&g in 3/4"

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:38 PM   #11
bautino95

MATTPSU- Your truck is kind of what I'm going for, I'm also gonna do the fuel tank relocating to the rear too. I like how you set up your fuel fill. This is my first time taking the bed apart so I have a few other questions that I thought of. If I use s board thinner then 3/4" will it mess up how the wheel wells mount? thanks