The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
helot13

Help me Decide on a Project

Looking to get a Blazer but need some information I am not able to glean through searches. While I enjoy the styling of the earlier blazers, I want to have part-time 4WD. I believe 1981 was the first year of part-time 4WD. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Questions:

Is it easier to meld the chassis from an '81+ to the body of a late 70's, or is it easier to modify the late 70's chassis with the necessary 4WD components?

atvpro fabricated a heavier frame for the '72 build, referencing "problems" that blazers have. Are these "problems" corrected in later models?

Are there any older model years with rear disc brakes, or when did the option become available?

Any leads on "experts" in the Denver Colorado area?
helot13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
Chulisohombre

Re: Help me Decide on a Project

Part time 4x4 was standard until mid 70s when the np203 became a full time option. The np205 was commonly found in the late 60s into the mid 80s. Then they were using np208s with aluminum cases to save weight but also started using slip yolk driveshafts that cause their own problems. The earlier 69-72 blazers were actually a better frame design than the later blazers in that the steering box position was stronger and doesn't crack as easy as later frames. The problem is the thickness of it and the tortional flex that hāppens offroad and makes the body pretzel and crack seam welds and 40 year old rusty sheet metal. Rear disk brakes were never a option on full size blazers but there are a few companies that make conversions to do so. Or you can swap in a newer axle from a late model I believe 2001 when they started offering rear disk brakes.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
IwantaK5

If i was to do it over again i would probably get one of those mid 80's military blazers and put 1 ton axles on it and cal it a day. First gens look cool and the np205 is a good case though.
IwantaK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
Chulisohombre

Those mid 80s mil spec blazers were decent to start with. 6.2 diesel and a turbo 350 and np208 transfer case. The only bad pārt was the axles with 308:1 gears and the gov loc locker. Swapping them to one tons and a four ibch lift and trim fenders on mil 37s and you would have a decent good looking truck that could go almost anywhere.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
IwantaK5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chulisohombre View Post
Those mid 80s mil spec blazers were decent to start with. 6.2 diesel and a turbo 350 and np208 transfer case. The only bad pārt was the axles with 308:1 gears and the gov loc locker. Swapping them to one tons and a four ibch lift and trim fenders on mil 37s and you would have a decent good looking truck that could go almost anywhere.
...yeah,That is what i would do. It is cheaper than doing it all to a first gen, and the second gen bodys are so cheap and easy if you wreck it than no big deal.
IwantaK5 is offline   Reply With Quote