The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
woodchk502

Plowin Snow

Anyone out there plowin snow with theyre jimmy?
If so what are you using and how does it mount?
Ive got an older meyer plow but want the newer style easy mount and self contained power, to save room for underhood goodies. So show me what ya got.
jim
woodchk502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:11 AM   #2
AlaskaMatt

Re: Plowin Snow

I just finished up mounting my plow. An older western with external pump. I fabricated a double 2" receiver that sits just under the front bumper and then made a custom frame that slides into to it to hold the plow mounts and pump. I will try and take a pic for you.

Best part. 4 pins pulled and I can drop the whole thing. I will run receiver shackles in the empty receivers when not set up to plow. Two birds one stone, plow mount and recovery points all in one.

Matt

My Website

Last edited by AlaskaMatt; 12-15-2010 at 03:14 AM.
AlaskaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
woodchk502

Can't wait to see it. Would love to be able to do something similar but with the newer style pump. PleAse do post the pics.
Jim
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
jasons
not enough hours in the day

This was last winter.

This is the best photo of the mount. It was off a 69 Ford pickup and brackets made to make it fit the Blazer.

I just built new mounts to put the plow on a 74 Chevy pickup so the blazer can be rebuilt. Wish I would have thought of Matt's receiver idea and built my mounts that way.
jasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
woodchk502

yeah Im kinda diggin the reciever mount idea as well.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
AlaskaMatt

Sorry for the delay. Here are a couple of shots and a link to a short video showing the mount I made.

In the one photo you can see I have removed the lights. They were too low in the new mounting position. I will be fabricating a couple of new posts for them to mount on. I plan to wire them and the turn signals simply with a flat four connector (no high beams, but simple is good). The plow power is connected with heavy duty quick connects (painfully expensive for what they are) that work very well. The two pieces of angle iron that head back toward the the frame are pinned to c channel welded to the back side of the receivers. The two receivers are welded with two cross members of square tube making the whole unit roughly square in shape. That square was then welded to the frame in four places. I had a hidden hitch behind the bumper already so I used it's cross member for mounting the new receivers in the front, in the rear they tie directly to the frame. This was the hard part and would be custom for each vehicle to figure out how they want to do it. The rest of the fab up was pretty straight forward. It still needs a few finishing touches but is fully functional now, in fact I was out plowing snow drifts tonight as we have been experiencing quite the wind storm.

The only non quick connect issue I have not solved is the control cables, a new pump would eliminate this issue. For now I use some thumb screws in place of the allen head set screws and have to pull the little cover plates to remove the cables. No biggie only takes a couple of minutes.

I should also note that the photos are deceiving. The bottom of the mount where the A frame connects actually sits off the ground about 8 inches, it looks much lower in the photos.

In the video I had not added the angle iron that runs back to the frame but do show where I intend to pin it. I have also since closed up the ends and finished off all the welds. It's a little rough in the video as this was still during the fit up and testing part of the project. Also the whole mount is suspended by a couple of ropes in my garage so that is why it's swinging.

Matt

My Website

Last edited by AlaskaMatt; 12-15-2010 at 11:22 PM.
AlaskaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:19 AM   #7
woodchk502

Thanks for the pics and link. Can't wait to get home and view on my pc. Small cellphone screen sucks. Will be refering back to these when I get around to doing mine.

Wasilla huh?? It's beautiful up there. I was fortunate enough to visit wasilla on a hunting trip on the ionoko river in 1999. Hope to visit again some day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2010, 11:04 PM   #8
mrein3

Not a Blazer but I do plow with my pick-up in the winter. I don't want to get it all salty so I only plow my driveway and when necessary a road on the lake.

I believe the frames in the front are the same between Blazer and pick-up.

I found my plow on craigslist looking for 67-72 parts. The ad said it came off a 71 GMC so I went and purchased it.

A guy I know who plows for money told me it is a "western style" plow. The PO had the hydro pump under the hood because according to him when it is below zero it works better in the warmer environment. Believe it or not there is enough room under there after I move my aftermarket cruise control out of the way. Since I don't take it on the salty roads I don't use cruise in the winter anyways.

The cables to actuate the pump I fabbed up (obviously) by purchasing 4 motorcycle cables and a muffler clamp. It looks cheesy but works surprisingly well.

To mount/dismount it you pull two pins for the undercarriage mount and one to drop the lift ram off the plow frame.

Until this last snowfall that took down the metrodome I haven't started my snowblower since I bought the plow. Best accessory I ever bought for the truck.

In the summer everything comes off in an hour or two. You can't even tell I use it to push snow around.

One more thing you'll need. 500 pounds of sand in the bed goes a long way to leveling off the truck after sticking all the weight on the front. It probably gives you some traction back there but when things get real deep I put a set of chains on the FRONT tires. There isn't much that truck won't go through with chains on.
Attached Images

Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #9
72MARIO

Just came across this thread. Awesome setup Matt. I was looking for a way to drop everything off the front of our 1990 suburban with a old style western mount. Just the idea I was looking for. Thanks !
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote