The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2017, 09:19 AM   #1451
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Man, What a sick result of an engine rebuild. I'm sorry to read that for sure. I have read similar stories on this site about cams taking a dump shortly after the rebuild.
I hope you get it all sorted out.
Very nice work on the mega porch too!
Thanks. I'm happy with it so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Mike, can you see if they will put this amount towards a roller cam and see if you can find a roller block and build one of those? Or just upgrade to a roller for this block the next go around and get away from the flat tappet blues all together?
Too late. They are already sending the replacement. Definitely something I'll look at in the future though.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:04 AM   #1452
Low Elco

Good lord. Man, I'm sorry to hear that. I'd have told them to... well, there's a reason I don't work with people. Good luck on the swap.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #1453
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Been a busy month. Today I finally got going on the engine swap, part duh. Took about 4 hours to pull the engine from the jimmy. I swapped in the new distributor and wiped it down a bit. Hopefully it's good to go. Hasn't been run in a couple years I think. And I got it sitting in the C10. Should have it running before next weekend.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2017, 12:11 AM   #1454
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Today I got the engine mated to the transmission and bolted to the frame. The headers are bolted on. I started getting some of the other bits and pieces back on. A few more hours of work and I should be firing it up again. I really hope it goes well. I need my truck.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2017, 10:12 PM   #1455
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I thought I might get it fired up tonight but there were too many complications. I still had to get the broken pulley off the power steering pump. That required some cutting and a gear puller. Then I found out there wasn't enough room between the fan shroud and the pump to get the pulley installer tool in so I had to remove that also. Then the starter didn't turn over so I got under it again and pulled it out, replaced the connectors for the wiring and pulled the starter from the Jimmy (it was fairly new) when I realized I hadn't connected the ground cable to the block yet. Cripes. Time for another beer. Anyway, the spark plugs are in, the power steering pump is mounted with the pulley, flex plate is bolted to the torque converter, the starter cranks over and there's not a lot left to do before it gets started.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2017, 11:29 PM   #1456
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Finally got it back on the road!

The timing is off and I don't have a good timing light to set it. Pings like crazy under heavy acceleration. Noticeably more power. The new torque converter seems to be working well. Not really a big difference from stock, just a bit more grabby at the higher rpm. The new FI tech EFI is a definite improvement over my old Holley EFI. Basically the same type of system with a bunch of improvements. No more dead spot just off idle. I might have to upgrade the ignition system to take advantage of some of those upgrades.

I need to figure out the wiring for the alternator. I don't think it's charging. The newer style alternator has a different plug from the late 70's style I previously switched to. I rewired it then for the internally regulated alternator. I need to move the wire for the temperature gauge. The cheap valve covers I used before leak. Not on the gasket but between the flange and the cover. The breathers leak too much also. I need to install the torque converter dust cover and do an oil change. Also need a new stud for the air cleaner. The one I had was too small of diameter. And I didn't install the new heater core yet. I was more interested in getting it running.

I did replace one of the cooling fans while I had the fan shroud off. Nothing wrong with the old one, just an upgrade to a better fan. The second fan is still the old cheaper one. Now I have a spare.

While working under the truck I noticed a drip from the pinion seal area on the rear end. So it needs some attention also.

It felt great getting it back down the road again. Two months is too long for me.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2017, 05:17 AM   #1457
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Glad to see the beast on the road again!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:09 AM   #1458
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Glad to see the beast on the road again!
Me too. It was really starting to bug me.

I think I have the wiring for the alternator figured out. There is a shop nearby that specializes in alternator repairs and he was able to help me over the phone. As long as I haven't already done any damage to the electronics of my new alternator, it should be good to go.

There is a conversion wiring harness available to swap from a SI style to CS130 style alternator. AC Delco #8078 for systems without a warning light. But the shop guy said it isn't really needed if I have the pigtail for the new alternator.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:20 PM   #1459
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

That is good to know. I thought that one had the diode in it to make up for not having a idiot light, or like me who has a dash harness for idiot light dash and not gauge dash.

Bill's Gallery
Old 07-22-2017, 11:46 AM   #1460
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

yesterday I think I got the alternator working. The voltage while running was about 13.6 and the battery voltage went up slightly during my test drive. Also got the temp gauge on the dash hooked up. I almost burnt up the wires to the starter where they were against the header. I didn't see it when I was getting everything tied up out of the way, but seems ok.

The timing by ear and vacuum seems pretty close. It was really running pretty nice yesterday afternoon, so I wiped the dust off and told the wife we were going to town. Then during the trip it started smoking like hell. I pulled over and open the hood, nothing wrong there. Look underneath and fluid is draining out of the torque converter dust cover and getting on the hot exhaust. Crap, turn around and drive it home. No issues with the tranny shifting or anything. Just leaking and burning off.

This morning I pulled the dust cover and it for sure is tranny fluid, which is a relief, not the rear main engine seal. Not a difficult fix if you have a lift. Working under the truck on the floor though, trying to drop the tranny enough to pull the torque converter, just plain sucks. So I talked to the local mechanic here in town. He has 3 lifts and can fix it in a few hours, which is worth the money to me right now with so many projects going on.

Here's the rub, I had planned on doing this while it was apart. But when I looked it over there was no sign of leakage at all, so I took the "don't fix what isn't broke" approach. My mistake.

Here's what happens. The pump seal is the last defense for leakage. There is a bushing behind it. There is a small drain back hole between the bushing and seal. When the bushing gets worn there is extra fluid seeping by and eventually it gets bad enough that it overcomes the flow of the drain back hole and puts pressure on the seal.

When I had the truck apart like 7 years ago I replaced the seal but not the bushing. My mistake again. So the bushing has been wearing out and finally overcame the drain and the seal.

The fix is easy enough. Replace the bushing, drill out the drain hole and replace the seal. Easy enough while the tranny is out of the truck, PITA after it's installed.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #1461
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I got REAL good yanking my T350 in and out of my 83. I agree, paying someone is worth it at my age now.

Bill's Gallery
Old 07-23-2017, 04:33 PM   #1462
bh86

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
I started sanding the last wheel yesterday, but didn't get it finished. Hows that for an underwhelming update?

So to make this post at least a bit worthy of a glance I'll post some pics of my next truck project...

It belongs to my MIL and her husband at the moment, but they are adding my name to the title. They use it to pull a camper and haul a rhino occasionally. Now they are selling the camper and have a trailer to haul the rhino, so this truck they won't need. I told them last year that I wanted it, but made my intentions clear this visit, so there is no miscommunication. I want it. For the time being it will remain with them until they don't want it around anymore or until I decide to bring it home. Its a 71 C-30 with a 12' flatbed, 427 bus big block and automatic (probably a TH-400). It was used by a local lumbar yard there in St Anthony, ID for many years and is pretty much rust free. The clear coat is peeling a bit but it is near perfectly straight. I runs and drives perfect. I'm not sure what plans I have for it right now but will repaint it and maybe do a hydraulic tilt bed. It might be my last truck build and even that might wait until after I do some other car projects once my Jimmy is built. No rush for me.
That's a cool truck. I've been reading through your build thread. How random is it that I just sold a truck last year, a 76 k10 sport, that had been owned by probably the same lumber yard in St. Anthony, Stoddard Lumber. It still had the original paperwork in the glove box with their name on it. If it will let me post pics I will. You've done some pretty amazing work on your trucks. Keep it up!
bh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:05 PM   #1463
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Glad you got the pick up going and I'm really digging the flatbed. I want one someday. I'd love to convert it to a rollback or put a modern wrecker on it.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:31 PM   #1464
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Mike, it's nice to hear you got the turquoise truck back running again. That stinks about the trans issue, but at least it isn't anything major or too expensive. Keep at it and try not to get eaten by your state bird, the mosquito.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:53 AM   #1465
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh86 View Post
That's a cool truck. I've been reading through your build thread. How random is it that I just sold a truck last year, a 76 k10 sport, that had been owned by probably the same lumber yard in St. Anthony, Stoddard Lumber. It still had the original paperwork in the glove box with their name on it. If it will let me post pics I will. You've done some pretty amazing work on your trucks. Keep it up!
Small world isn't it? It's really too bad I had to let this one slip away. One of the separation/divorce casualties. I just saw a similar one listed for sale around here in the last few days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Glad you got the pick up going and I'm really digging the flatbed. I want one someday. I'd love to convert it to a rollback or put a modern wrecker on it.
I was looking for a ramp bed for this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Mike, it's nice to hear you got the turquoise truck back running again. That stinks about the trans issue, but at least it isn't anything major or too expensive. Keep at it and try not to get eaten by your state bird, the mosquito.
The mosquitos haven't bothered me until after dark, when I'm sitting on the porch at the end of the day. Hopefully that won't be the case once I have the screened area done. Last night I finished building the main part of the roof and got the felt down. All that's left is to build the overhang on the end and close it off.

I suspect the bushing has been worn for a while and I just didn't recognise the signs. I still have some work to do on it when I can find the time. I need to replace the heater core, replace the tach, fix the e-brake, fix the pinion leak and get the dash pad recovered and windshield leaks fixed. Plus there are some paint blemishes from the use over the past few years that need some attention.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:12 AM   #1466
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

My truck is finally back on the road. I brought it into a local shop because I just don't have the time right now between the job, the house project and the family obligations and I want to drive it again before fall.

What he found after pulling the tranny was that the bushing actually walked out towards the seal and blocked off the flow for the drain back. Luckily the torque converter wasn't damaged. The odd thing was that the new bushing, when put into the pump plate, was too tight on the torque converter. He had a junk tranny for parts and used the pump plate and gears from that one. He said the gears were a little tighter than mine, less wear. The bushing was pinned to keep it from moving in the future. He drilled out the drain hole to flow better and keep pressure off the seal.

He also dropped the pan and replaced the filter. It was due, fluid was getting dark. He turned around the detent cable hook up so it was easier to install it. I didn't know why it was such a PITA when I hooked it up years ago. A couple of the pan bolt holes needed heli-coils in them.

I had him replace the pinion seal on the axle since the driveshaft was out and it was on the lift already. The exhaust had to be dropped out of the way so the new collector gaskets fixed the exhaust leak I had. Also, one of the exhaust hangers was broken so he replaced that.

I picked up some all-thread to get the air filter back on. The new throttle body uses a thicker bolt than the old one. There is a squeak from the engine, one of the pulleys I suppose. It's all new parts so I should be able to get it replaced under warranty but the work to do it is on me.

The drive was good. The power is up and it does nice smoky burn outs, but the shift is really soft with the new torque converter. There are some new noises and rattles from all the work done lately I'll have to figure out, but it's back on the road and running good.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #1467
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Congrats!

Bill's Gallery
Old 08-06-2017, 12:45 PM   #1468
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Congrats!
Thanks, but it was short lived.

Nothing serious, I don't think. Anyway, the serpentine belt was sqeaking. I traced it to the crank pulley, which was wobbling. Pulled the pulley off and the harmonic balancer wasn't tight on the shaft. Had a little play there, which is bad. It pulled off way too easy. I was worried about the crank because when I built this motor there was a chunk missing by the front key way. I just put a key in it and some JB Weld to hold it and installed the balancer. It seemed ok but I used an old used balancer I got cheap and I think that's the culprit.

I have a new balancer from the damaged engine and I don't have an installer tool. O'reilly's wanted $50 to rent a tool I can buy for $40 from amazon. I'll be gone for work a couple days and the tool should be here when I get back. As long as it fits snug, and it's not sliding on like the old one came off, it should be ok. My JB weld is still in place. The rest of the crank snout was ok, so hopefully this solves the issue.

Always something.

Time to go work on my porch.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:12 AM   #1469
Low Elco

Glad it's back on the road where you can futz with it. Porch looks great!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:45 AM   #1470
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

The new balancer is on and seems to be ok. I still have a little belt sqeal once in a while but not too bad. My son swapped valve covers for me while I was gone, but forgot to check that the gaskets were on them. I discovered that on a test drive. No leaks while idling but when you get on it the oil sprays more from the rockers and then runs down the side and back to the head. Without gaskets they leak a smidge and you trail a nice blue smoke like a crop duster.

Anyway, installed the gaskets and took it for another drive. Seems to be running pretty good but I could hear a knock from the driver side valve cover. You could feel it in the cover. Not like a rod knock. So before the next drive I started it up, knock still there, so I loosened the valve cover bolts and move it around a little and the noise went away when I pulled it forward. But when I retighten the bolts it came back, not as bad but still audible.

So more fiddling around is needed. But it drives good, power is definitely up from the 283. I don't like how it shifts now, way too early and soft, so that needs to be adjusted and I need to buy or fab up a new kickdown cable bracket (vortec intake and new EFI changed it). I need to get used to new sounds because the whole drive train has been in and out 2 or 3 times this summer and it's not the same now.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:36 AM   #1471
JG358

Just went through the thread from start to finish...Awesome build and story!
Old 08-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #1472
nuke1

Looking good bud!! break that engine and in and come for a visit!!!
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:40 AM   #1473
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG358 View Post
Just went through the thread from start to finish...Awesome build and story!
Dang! I hope you got something useful out of all that rambling. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke1 View Post
Looking good bud!! break that engine and in and come for a visit!!!
This engine was already broke in, just needs some tweaks.

I'd love to come up to visit, maybe next year. This year has been too busy.

Some pics to brighten up the thread a bit. Too much talking, not enough pics lately...

The new engine, as it is right now. I need a new air filter, sheesh that looks bad...

My first anniversary is coming up next month, here's a look back. Damn my wife is hot!

Old 08-17-2017, 04:45 PM   #1474
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Very nice and congrats on the 1 year anniversary. Here's to wishing you 2 many more happy years to come!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:28 PM   #1475
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Congratulations!

Bill's Gallery