The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2006, 10:44 AM   #1
ScottH

Question on auto hubs

Gonna look at a 79 K10 soon that has front auto hubs. Never owned a 4x4 before and heard some folks saying these are prone to problems if not maintained properly. Can anyone tell me what to look for when I check out this truck?

Any info or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:35 PM   #2
msgross

Re: Question on auto hubs

you can replace the autos with a set of manual hubs. I just happen to have a nice set for sale too! Let me know if interested....

my first vehicle was a 79 Blazer with auto hubs, not bad except the gas mileage, you should pick up a few MPG's with a set of manuals installed.
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:34 PM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Are you sure that they are auto locking hubs? Those would not have been on a '79. The automatics didn't come out until '81 or '82 on trucks equipped with a "new" aluminum transfer case (NP208). Your '79 should have had the big cast iron NP203 transfer case. That was a "full-time" four wheel drive unit. They had drive flanges under a small cad plated cap that was hammered on. The automatic hubs are held on with 5 torx headed bolts.

Either one can be replaced by manual locking hubs. The full-time case (NP203) needs to have a conversion kit installed if the flanges are removed.
If this truck has been modified/up-dated to the newer NP208 case, all that is required are the manual hubs themselves. The automatic locking hubs don't have the greatest reputation, especially in cold weather, so replacing them with manuals is not a bad idea.

All of this is assuming that you have an automatic transmission...if it has a 4 speed, the transfer case is different. A 4 speed truck would have an NP205 and manual hubs to begin with.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:52 PM   #4
ScottH

Longhair, you are absolutely correct, they are full-time hubs. As a newbie to 4x4s I'm learning. Can you tell me what is involved (basically) to swap over to manual? Any info is really appreciated.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:49 PM   #5
Elsie72
Chinook Arch

The thing I don't like about auto hubs is that when you go from Drive to Reverse, the hubs unlock, then re-lock. Some times that's fine, but lots of times, you really need something that's locked when you change directions.

Elsie's truck
2.5" dual exhaust with Hooker Aero Chambers
Holley 670 Street Avenger Edelbrock Performer RPM on GMPP 290HP 350
ECE drop 3.5/5
Elsie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:19 PM   #6
msgross

Here are the pics of what I have. I am going to keep one of the sets but I do know that they are both in good shape. They run $70-$80 new for these types. I am not sure but your auto hubs will need a conversion kit. Mile-markers website says that auto hubs need a conversion kit and full-time 4WD vehicles need a transkfer case kit, not sure on the hubs though.
Attached Images

Last edited by msgross; 12-04-2006 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:31 PM   #7
ScottH

Mike, thanks for the pics. Let me see if someone can help me out with what is needed to convert the full-time to manual.

Scott
Old 12-04-2006, 11:32 PM   #8
msgross

Here is the MM website, these aren't going anywhere soon so no hurry on my end. I still don't know which one's I want...

http://www.milemarker.com/4x2conversion.html

Last edited by msgross; 12-04-2006 at 11:33 PM.