The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
Phill0406

Order or process for powdercoat bolt in c notch

With the bolt in c notch, how did you guys go about getting your powdercoat done? I don't want to test fit everything, hack up the frame in the rear, then take it out to get sand blasted/powder coated in fear it would tweak the frame being that loose in the rear. Then it would seem that my only option would be to get the frame powder coated with the c notch already installed but then underneath the notch (where it goes over the frame) would still be untouched, and I would be coating over the washers, nuts and bolts. In hindsight I should have went with a weld in notch to avoid this problem, but hoping someone who has done it in the past can chime in and share their experience.

Hoping this all makes sense.
Phill0406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:52 PM   #2
67-72C10

Re: Order or process for powdercoat bolt in c notch

You could take your c notch with you to the powdercoater and get it done the same color as your frame. Most bolt in c notches require drilling and cutting part of the frame out but that could be touched up with paint after you cut and drill the holes.It would be minor painting just touch up around the holes and the cut line if you took your time and protected the areas around your drilling and cutting.
Opt 2:
If you have not started yet you could do a weld in notch and sell your bolt in kit.

Good luck,
Steve
67-72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:35 PM   #3
Camaroguy

We partially welded in our bolt in c-notch and sent the frame for powder. When it came back I put the bolts in. You can see it on page 1 in my build thread link - signature.

Current Built (68 c10 swb): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=787712
Camaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:37 AM   #4
Phill0406

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-72C10 View Post
You could take your c notch with you to the powdercoater and get it done the same color as your frame. Most bolt in c notches require drilling and cutting part of the frame out but that could be touched up with paint after you cut and drill the holes.It would be minor painting just touch up around the holes and the cut line if you took your time and protected the areas around your drilling and cutting.
Opt 2:
If you have not started yet you could do a weld in notch and sell your bolt in kit.

Good luck,
Steve
Thanks Steve. I thought of just getting the notch done without test fitting but I don't know how comfortable I feel doing that. I might call porterbuilt and see what the turnaround time is for a weld in notch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroguy View Post
We partially welded in our bolt in c-notch and sent the frame for powder. When it came back I put the bolts in. You can see it on page 1 in my build thread link - signature.
Good stuff! Now did you treat the metal at all underneath before you put on the c notch? My thought it so diegrind off the junk on the frame, hit it with Por 15 or someother kind of rust preventative just underneath where the metal will cover, then tack a weld as you did. Either that or tack in a brace before and after the notch, remove the notch for powdercoat and then grind off the weld before final assembly.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:22 PM   #5
67-72C10

You could also cut and fit it,drill all your holes while you have it supported in your shop and then weld a small brace in the bottom to be cut out after powdercoating.I drew a quick picture to give you a idea of what i was talking about
Attached Images

67-72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:37 PM   #6
Phill0406

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-72C10 View Post
You could also cut and fit it,drill all your holes while you have it supported in your shop and then weld a small brace in the bottom to be cut out after powdercoating.I drew a quick picture to give you a idea of what i was talking about
Unfortunately it's a much bigger C notch than a little cutout, it's the porterbuilt "extreme 3". I see where you're going though.

I think I'm going to just do what the member above did. Clean and treat the metal underneath, put the bolts in, tack weld it, remove the bolts and send it out to be powder coated all as one.

Boy I really should have just got the weld in version, would've saved myself money and hassle.