The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2016, 03:49 PM   #1
Revorollerr

67-72 Roll cage kits

Anyone have some input on 10 point cage kits? Rhodes race cars (RCC), S&A etc

Looking for the best fitment and quality on a mild steel kit. Possibly some good write ups, how to's, etc. This will be my first cage build, so if there is any helpful tips or tricks I'm all for it. I've researched it quiet a bit and downloaded a PDF. of the NHRA rule book.
Revorollerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:48 PM   #2
gomeez63

Re: 67-72 Roll cage kits

All cage kits are a general shape so there is a bit of fabrication involved.
I used Chris Alstons kit because his shop is close. Every thing fit the way it was supposed to but I would of maybe gone with a halo instead of just long front downs that are a little tricky to fit out of a kit.
gomeez63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:55 PM   #3
PGSigns

The long down bars are easier to get welded up on the top with the cross bar than a haloe with the shorter down bars. Thats may be why most kits are done that way. Before you decide what cage to put in it and what else you need to do to go along with the cage you need to decide how fast you plan to go and how fast you may want to go in the future. If you look at Super73's build thread its a good one for a truck. Start first with putting solid body mounts in it and finding a way to make sure the the frame is straight and level before you start welding stuff in. If its sitting crooked when you start it will be that way forever when you get done.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:42 PM   #4
Revorollerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
The long down bars are easier to get welded up on the top with the cross bar than a haloe with the shorter down bars. Thats may be why most kits are done that way. Before you decide what cage to put in it and what else you need to do to go along with the cage you need to decide how fast you plan to go and how fast you may want to go in the future. If you look at Super73's build thread its a good one for a truck. Start first with putting solid body mounts in it and finding a way to make sure the the frame is straight and level before you start welding stuff in. If its sitting crooked when you start it will be that way forever when you get done.
Jimmy
Ill check out his thread. I will definitely install solid mounts, etc. The truck has been high 9s and will most likely be low 9s after this winter. I skated by long enough without proper safety equip. I planned on doing the outriggers and rear bars last so I can drop the cage through the floor to finish welding the top.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:27 PM   #5
Revorollerr

Any recommendations for solid cab mounts? All I've found is poly mounts.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:01 PM   #6
rat454ci

I'm installing a jegs kit made for a 73-05 C-10 and it fits ok. I have a harbor freight hydraulic bender and used it to put slight bends in the main hoop and the front down bars.
Attached Images

rat454ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:58 AM   #7
Ozzy2013

Looks good im wanting to put one in mine also its a street truck but we put a lot of miles on it so want the added safety
Ozzy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:54 PM   #8
Revorollerr

Ended up ordering a kit from RRC. Purchased a tubing bender and notcher as well, see how bad I mess it up haha.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:13 AM   #9
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

With a tubing bender and a notcher, you shouldn't need to buy a kit, just some 20' sticks of round tube. What bender and notcher did you buy?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:52 PM   #10
Revorollerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
With a tubing bender and a notcher, you shouldn't need to buy a kit, just some 20' sticks of round tube. What bender and notcher did you buy?

I had already purchased the kit first initially, I've also never used a bender or built a cage so I wanted to ensure a could starting point and not have a cluster to start off with. I purchased the bender to do some simple stuff for bumper supports, etc on another car.

It's just a cheap HF notcher and the bender is made by "affordable benders" - fairly popular with off road guys it sounds like.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-17-2017, 12:43 AM   #11
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Ok I see. Yeah with that bender and notcher buying a ready made kit was a good idea.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:45 AM   #12
Revorollerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Ok I see. Yeah with that bender and notcher buying a ready made kit was a good idea.
I haven't used the notcher, realistically I don't see it being Horid. The bender works rather well, only complaint is the hand operated jack. Even with the 7" radius die I probably could of mimicked the RRC kit if I had some previous experience with it.