The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2003, 02:00 AM   #1
69ChevySB
dropped69

Unhappy Please help a frustrated 67-72 lover

Ok guys, i'm to the point where I don't know what the heck i'm gonna do, I don't know if I will ever get my truck going again, if I should, or if I should sell it and buy a new one....heres my problem....

ok, a couple months ago I got in a wreck and bent the front of my frame, I heated it with a torch and bent it back so it looked straight like the other one, but my mistake was that I didn't look to see if they were both level with one another, turns out they weren't, one side is 1 inch lower than the other.

So after lots of hard work and what not, I come to find that I have gotten no where, and it's very disappointing because everytime I think that there is a chance that I will be on the road again with my truck that I worked so hard for and paid for myself, I find something else wrong and it kicks me all the way back down to the bottom of the ladder. I thought I met an honest guy who might help me out and hopefully I could be driving soon again. It turns out that he has a spare shortbed frame that has the last 8 inches or so cut off the back (don't know why), but anyway the guy says he will sell me it for 400$ and he also says that it will probably cost $500 to switch it over to the other frame..

so all in all, i'm looking at almost $1000 to put a different frame on my truck. Does this seem right? the guy knows lots about these trucks so I admire his knowledge, but that is a lot of money for a frame i'm thinking...I see them go in the parts board for 150-350 for a straight shortbed frame...so i'm wondering if you folks could PLEASE help me out, i'm extremely frustrated, and I want to go back to school very badly, but I can't as long as my truck is down. someone please help me out I can't take this anymore i'm sick of all this...seems that for $1000, I have a pretty good chance of going out and just getting another truck like this for that much.

Is it really that hard to switch everything over to a different frame? or is it just time consuming...I have never done this, what is the best way to approach this?

Does $1000 seem kind of high for what I am trying to do?

seems to me for that much I can take it to an autobody shop and have them fix my frame pretty close to perfect...hell I don't know...nobody wants to help me out and i'm very stressed out about this right now I have no clue what to do...will I ever have a nice truck again? I only have $500 right now, and it seems like it is taking forever to save my money because i'm always taking off days trying to get help and advice on my situation. so if someone has the slightest bit of sympathy, please help me out and tell me what I should do. thanks

*sorry it was such a long message, but this issue is continuously bothersome to me, and it's hard to explain exactly what i'm going through right now...it's actually depressing as hell I don't know if you guys have ever been through this before or not. but anyway, thanks again*
Old 03-15-2003, 02:07 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Some times you just gotta know when to say when.

$1000 bucks is quite a bit of money...esp for a frame that some one cut the rear portion off. (why the ... oh never mind)
yes, you can get frames much cheaper....you can also get whole trucks for that price.
I think I would replace the truck with another...and if your old truck was in pretty good shape before your accident...hold onto it and learn how to do some of these things yourself. Swapping engines and trannys is pretty easy, swapping a bed is a no brainer, even the cab is pretty easy if you keep on double checking it as you lift it. (there will ALWAYS be something you forgot)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 02:24 AM   #3
ckhd

Where in AZ are you?

I think that is too much... That's just me. Especially going to a cut frame.

1968 K20 fleet
1969 K10 swb fleet
1972 K10 Suburban
1972 C10 lwb step
1992 K1500 'burb
1995 K2500 'burb
1997 C1500 'burb
1999 K1500
2000 K1500 'burb

Why do I own so many Suburbans?
ckhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 02:47 AM   #4
67cst
i love summertime

i think the frame was shortened and you need to also cut off the back, sounds like he hasnt done that part yet

GLOVE BOX LIGHTS FORSALE, click link for info

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=273724
67cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 02:55 AM   #5
69 Short Fleet

Holy Smoly 69 Chevy SB: First thing to do is try and take er easy. There are a lot of really good people on this board that I'm sure will post replies and or help. You might want to call a bodyshop and get a professional opinion and see if they can repair your exsisting frame. If that fails post a want ad in the parts section of this board and explain you situation (if you have not already). I pulled everything off my truck a few years back when I got a complete paintjob (inside and out) and it really was not too too hard, you can always put everything (reassemble) back together and get a bodyman to do the finetuning (tweeking) if your having trouble. If your truck is in resonable shape (no major rust or major dents) and does not require major rebuilding in most areas I would not sell it, but thats just my opinion. So hang in there!!!!!!! Fell free to PM me anytime if you have any questions rebuilding your truck and I'll help you as much as I can, Regards Doug
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 04:48 AM   #6
Smoke-N-Fire

Frame Straightening

I got in an accident with my 1970 GMC long bed which bent the frame. To give you an idea, I hit a concrete wall (at an angle) cruising about 65 miles per hour. It cost my $600 to have the frame straightened at a shop. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Speed KILLS, drive a FORD live FOREVER.
Smoke-N-Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 04:51 AM   #7
Smoke-N-Fire

Frame

Here's a picture of the frame damage. Sorry the quality sux, but my scanner is down (so its a digital picture of a picture).
Attached Images

Speed KILLS, drive a FORD live FOREVER.
Smoke-N-Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 10:50 AM   #8
69ChevySB
dropped69

thanks for all the help guys, btw i'm in here in Phoenix...
smoke-n-fire, did they fix your frame perfectly?
Old 03-15-2003, 11:09 AM   #9
kaycee

Thumbs down X-Tra Frame

$1000 for a hacked frame the guy is nucking futs.I have a 69 swb leaf spring frame for $100.Located in S.E. WY
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 04:05 PM   #10
69ChevySB
dropped69

well he wanted to charge me 400$ for the frame, plus another 50$ to weld the last eight inches or so on, plus another 400-500 to switch it all over to another frame, anyways i got my truck back from him today, boy he sure is mad because i didn't give him my money...he thinks that i'm just a punk kid that has the money to spend...he is very wrong and his prices are way too high...he wouldn't give me back my 68 fender that I let him have for a trade, but I don't care because he cracked his near perfect 69/70 grille and busted his headlamp trying to push his flatbed out of the way so i could get my truck out of there....anyways thanks folks....also, I wish i had a picture to show, it's hard to explain in words what the frame looks like, it's not real bad actually...maybe i should just take it to an autobody shop? thanks again folks
Old 03-15-2003, 04:36 PM   #11
casey

To do that total job 1000 bucks doen't sound to bad to me, To do it complete it's got to be a 2 day job, if he's not a buddy of yours than he's trying to make a living, A lot of theses shops don't share the sentimental value of theses trucks with us, so you can't expect them to work for free for the cause, thats what this site is for 67-72 truck owners share info, helping with parts, supporting someone to get the job done as reasonable as possible, If you lived close to me I'd help you do it, but you can't be down on someone thats trying to make aliving, his price didn't sound to bad to me for doing the complete job without your help, sorry just the way I see it.
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 04:51 PM   #12
68 Suburban

Was this a friend, or someone tha is in the business that you have stopped to talk to a few times and have become "friendly" with?

There is a big difference is. The second being a business man just being smart to make some $$$.

Im not saying this is the situation in your case, but there are a lot of people who will stop by and BS with a business man a few times, and then after just a few times they think there is a "friendship". Just to tell you, when your talking business and $$$, this rarely happens that way.

Im curious, with out giving this guys name, does he have a small yard near I-17 south of Downtown Phx?
Old 03-15-2003, 05:37 PM   #13
Ray Cobia

Find a GOOD frame shop, they may be able to pull yours back. It could be the cheapest way out. If you have never done a frame off before, you don't need to try it with a truck that you need anytime soon. Good luck man, try to relax a little.
Old 03-15-2003, 06:43 PM   #14
70 longbed

Look around. There are some frmes in the area. If nothing else, try Desert Valley Auto, off Happy Valley Road and 17 North. I was just in there yard today, and they have a couple of short frames.
70 longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 07:09 PM   #15
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I have had the body off a couple trucks, & will say its a bunch of work! I dont think the guy's price was bad on labor at all.....but he was a little high on a "cobbled" frame. if the frame is bent ahead of the crossmember(yours).....I wouldnt be afraid of cutting it off & welding another pc on I do agree with the rest of th guys, that a frame shop can tell you the "straight dope" on the situation......might not be that big a deal(its just a little bent.....its still good!). I would check that avenue first. Good luck,crazyL
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote