The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2002, 11:19 PM   #1
Brewski*

$700.00 Hot dog buns~!

I went to the store for hot dog buns, and drove home very carefully down our long and winding road to avoid the deer that have been running crazy lately. We got home and I went to back down the driveway as always. Well the reverse lights have not been working and I put the topper back on the truck. I has tinted windows in back and is hard to see out of anyhow. Backed off the drive slightly and got stuck. Put it in 4wd and gave it hell. It pulled out but it also clipped a tree and tore the heck out of the drivers side bed of my truck. Should have skipped the brats tonight and made chili! I have been wanting to fix the reverse light switch for sometime but it is extremely difficult to replace on the 4 speed 4x4. Now 3 hours later I have it out. Had to take out the carpet and everything that mounts to the floorboard including the console to get the hump cover open enough to get a wrench on it. Got it out and tested it and it works but has to be depressed all the way in to get it to work. SOMBETCH I now have to start the body work. makes me sick
Brewski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 11:23 PM   #2
Alexis
Member since 2000

sorry. mmmmm chili. but yeah at least you got hot dogs buns
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 11:25 PM   #3
mikep
Used to have a truck

Tell me about it. I hit a deer on the way to work tuesday. Just nicked his ass after sliding 40 or so feet after jamming the brakes on. Didnt do any damage to my truck thank God but scared the crap out of both of us. This morning I had to slam on the brakes again and the rear end broke loose at 50 mph on a wet road and damn near lost control after a deer ran right out in front of me. Missed him by about a foot. Theres deer all over the Island I work on and they all come out at 5AM. Next time I see one jump out in front of me I'm just going to let off the gas and run the damned thing over. I almost lost it this morning. Its a hard thing to do on short notice. Gut reaction is to hit the brakes. I hate deer. I dont even like the way they taste.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:55 PM   #4
racedvl
Account Suspended

Unhappy

Bummer....
racedvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 12:19 AM   #5
1971 Cheyenne

hey Mike P,

What island do you work on? i live in the san juan islands and might be close to you???

anyway, jusy wondering

later
1983 M1009 CUCV Military K5 Blazer
1981 Dodge 1 ton 4x4 dually flatbed
1971 Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 12:53 AM   #6
Brewski*

The thing was MINT~! What really blows is that is was simply all my fault. Though I cussed everyone on earth and above and made up words like MuthrskuknbasturdGDMFSOB I had to do a couple a dozen "Our Fathers" "Hail Marys" and " This Buds for youz" to make up for it. What a dumb frickin" thing~! It don't look like this any more!!!! any one got a bedside to help me sleep~!Just another brick in the wall 8^(
Attached Images

Brewski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 01:16 AM   #7
mikep
Used to have a truck

San Juans?

You know you guys are the only county in the state that voted for that rediculous ballot measure 51 crapola. Oh yeah. I want to spend 9 cents a gallon more on gas so people in Bellevue can have a better hiway.

Sorry to vent. I work over on Vashon. Hardly a day goes by I don't either see or almost run over a deer. I know its like that up there too. Theyre like rats.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:30 AM   #8
1971 Cheyenne

lol, yeah our county is known for being quite liberal, but i'm not at fault, i'm not even voting age yet:>

Vashon huh, been there on occasion. I bought my truck in poulsbo so i cruised all around that area looking at trucks, so got to know the area better.

Yes, the deer are like rats. I seldomly go 1 mile without seeing/almost httting one.

A couple weeks ago me and my friend were driving to another guys house in his car. (we were both sober) and a friend was following us. we were kind of racing but not really. just trying to hide and get ahead. So we were on a sraightaway so we turned off our lights so he wouldn't see us. i know i know stupid stupid. But we decided maybe it would be a good time to see where we were going to we flashed on our lights and right as they went on, a deer was about a foot to the front and to the left of the car. i'm not sure how fast we were going but it was around 60. he was on his hind legs and looked like he was in the middle of jumping. ahh talk about scary. in an 89 civic, that deer is going to come through the windshield we just started laughing so hard it wasn't funny we had to pull over we were laughing so hard we were like hahaha oh !@## we almost hit a%#$%# deer. #$%#$ mot#$@3 $%#$%#% that was the closest i've ever actually almost hit one and not hit it. A couple of my friends in 4x4's will just speed up to hit them. I think thhis is kind of cruel and pointless but they just romp over them and laugh.

anyway, pointless ramble
g2g to sleep now
1983 M1009 CUCV Military K5 Blazer
1981 Dodge 1 ton 4x4 dually flatbed
1971 Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 11:32 AM   #9
Huck

Brewski--know hour hurt---backed my driver off of my lift only to catch the front bumper on the lift cable and then the hydralic oil tank, rupturing the tank, bending the bumper back, etc.. Calked the tank and drove the truck up against a tree and pushed till the bumper was semi straight!! Bought a new bumper last December--still sitting there. Spent too much time on Mr. Jimmy!!!
Now crying about hitting deer is not helping---could be worse---usually there are bigger critters that could be hit. Watched a friend cream an 8 pointer a few years back in Texas---his truck was 2 days old (was a ford so I laughed!). Almost hit a longhorn steer with my datsun 240Z but instead took out a fence row and landed in a field. Another friend hit a deer in Pa with his beautiful BMW M3. Did about $6K damage to it. About 6 weeks later it was repaired and he picked it up from the body shop and hit another deer on the way home~~~again laughter. About 4 years ago was on my way to visit friend in his hobby shop. Doing 75 on the interestate in Louisville, a deer runs out and the guy in front of me hits it hard enough to send it 10 feet high & spinning in pieces. I drove my Porsce under the flying carcus with blood and guts falling down all over it. Told my buddy and he didn't believe me till I took him out to see the carniage. AGAIN Laughter---his.
Could be worse---I here there are MOOSE, ELK and Bixon in North America. Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 12:38 PM   #10
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

You guys think you got it bad...

Look at this. No it's not me. We don't have deer,moose,elk,antelope,big horn sheep, or any other neat animal on the desert. Just , COYOTE,FOX,SCORPIONS,TARANTULA and A few other things that hide in the sage brush.

RON
Attached Images

RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 12:42 PM   #11
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

HERE's another view.

Originally, I'm from SPOKANE.
Attached Images

RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 12:57 PM   #12
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

Re: $700.00 Hot dog buns~!

Quote:
Originally posted by Brewski*
Well the reverse lights have not been working
I gotta work on mine too. Last night I backed into a trashcan. No damage to the truck...my ego, though... :P
Old 11-08-2002, 01:12 PM   #13
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

My old HS friend in Idaho has three moose in his collection. Cost him three Subarus. Two of the moose were already dead and had been hit someone else...very difficult to see on the unlit back roads. When they are lying with their feet toward you they are like launch ramps. Two of the totals were "Joey Chitwood" style barrel rolls at about 60 mph! His wife will no longer drive at night due to one these accidents and still get cold sweats when she has to drive to work in the winter season when the moose are migrating.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 02:23 PM   #14
SeAnScHeVy
Local Punk

deer smash

Another Dodge bites the dust!!! heh heh.... We all need to take a moment of silence for that wonderful deer dedicated to the downfall of Mopar.. ha ha ha
Old 11-08-2002, 07:48 PM   #15
72shadetree
KEEP ON TRUCKING

someone my mom knows a couple years ago her and husband left for work at same time him in front her in back he hits a deer and it rolls up over his car and lands in her windshield and killed her.i think he is still messed up in head i know i would be

71 k20 sons

bassett va
72shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 07:11 AM   #16
gmcnorton

wooo hoo

sounds to me like i need to load up the guns and atatr hunting...hehehe. the season here doesn't statr for another 3 weeks, if anyone want me to help get rid of some deer in your area let me know i'll be there...hehehehehe just need a place to stay
Old 11-10-2002, 02:34 AM   #17
Terry S

Brewski*

I feel your pain.
I know this isn't the parts board, but Ive got a bed in my back yard that I'm cannabalizing (need the wood bed stuff out of it) It's got a pretty good driver's side on it, as I recall. Let me know if you don't find one closer and maybe we can figure something out. (I don't know where in Missouri you are, but I'm just south of Wichita, so surely we could figure out how to get it from here to there

TS
Old 11-10-2002, 10:22 PM   #18
Stano

I fixed a Dodge Dakota ex cab earlier this year that hit a 1400lb bull. Talk about a mangled mess. Truck had real low miles and was a 4x4. The frontend was wrapped around the engine and the body and frame flexed enough that the front of the bed mashed in the back of the cab and wrinkled up the fronts of the bed sides. I waved my magic fingers and looks brand new. We get lots of deer hits but none as bad as the Durango posted earlier.

Nice ride 67 Chevy C-10 LWB Built 350 TH-400

Wifes ride and family rig:
2001 Furd Expedition 5.4 Liter
Kickin back in Rolla,Mo. USA

"Do the thing you fear most and the death of fear is certain" Mark Twain
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote