The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2018, 10:37 AM   #26
Wgesnerjr

Re: Seat with headrests

Update:
Stripped the seat bottom down to frame and did a trial fit in truck. The original 85 seat has more depth (knee to butt when sitting on seat) than the 95 junkyard one. So the 85 cushion probably wouldn't have worked either. So my buddy and u decided it was all 95 seat or nothing.

Other differences: Not only that but the bottom 95 seat tracks are part of the "stand" where as the 85 is separate. And the 95 seat tracks attach with one bolt at front and rear but the 85 has one bolt at front and two at the rear. Definitely not a drop in mod by any means.
Attached Images

LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:44 AM   #27
Wgesnerjr

Just for a reference, the 85 seat mounting points in the floorpan are 47" a part, side to side. In order to keep that measurement, I had to "adjust" the rear 85 seat tracks to hit the outer mounting hole on the 95 seat, then drill a new inner rear mounting point and a front mounting point; always measuring to keep the 47" width. Luckily there is a hole pre-punched in the seat track that almost lined up with the frame. The front took a small spacer and an access hole on the other side of the frame but in all, not too much engineering.
Attached Images

LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project

Last edited by Wgesnerjr; 06-24-2018 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Add content
Old 06-24-2018, 10:51 AM   #28
Wgesnerjr

Then another trial fit and the whole thing was off by 1/2". DOH! Bolting everything in at 46 1/2" bound the entire assembly in place; could not move it forward or back!

After slotting a bunch of holes, I made up the half inch and it passed the final mock up.

Then i cut the extra 3" of seat track off the front and fabrication was done. Had to break out the welder and fix two broken factory welds and moved on to the back frame.
Attached Images

LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Old 06-24-2018, 11:02 AM   #29
Wgesnerjr

Another stroke of luck, my brother-in-law had a set of GM manuals to his 98 and there was the tiniest pic of the seat back hinge assembly.

It took a while and a magnifying glass, but we had the order of parts. We discovered that every washer, bushing and plastic cover is needed for proper operation.

So, after 8 hours in the Georgia sun, the design phase is complete.
The afternoon ended with my brother-in-law having a mild case of heatstroke, and the frames have gone to my buddy's house for sandblasting and paint. Pretty eventful day.

Once the new foam arrives, the frames are painted and my brother-in-law properly hydrated, re-assembly will commence.
Attached Images

LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project

Last edited by Wgesnerjr; 06-24-2018 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Add content
Old 06-25-2018, 06:29 PM   #30
TKCR

That's a lot of good info. Sound like it's been quite eventful. Glad to hear your brother-in-law is ok.
Speaking from experience, he will be sensitive to heat related issues from here on out.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:13 PM   #31
HunterRotten

I have a 60/40 bench seat in mine out of a 90 model or so truck. While mine in particular does not have headrests, some of them do. It sits very comfortable, it actually might even be the most comfy seat I've sat in but I have not driven it very much.

There's a few different ways to mount them. We chopped the sliders OE to the 90 model truck down, as they dont have a hump in the cab floor and this makes the sliders super tall. Then we made a bracket that bolted to the original seat mounting points and mounted the 90 model sliders to that. I hope that helps but it seems you've made quite a lot of progress already!
Attached Images

HunterRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:30 AM   #32
Wgesnerjr

I do hope this is comfortable. I really liked the rebuilt 85 seat but this should help.

New seat foam. Used the link to the eBay auction and bought it. Arrived last night. Looks exactly like the original 95 one, only much more sanitary.
Attached Images

LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Old 06-28-2018, 11:33 AM   #33
Wgesnerjr

Also, if it's ever needed, here is a better diagram of the seat hinge hardware.
Attached Images

LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project