The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
wabash15

A couple questions from a new member

I have a 68 burb that is really rusted out - been through 3 generations of my family (blue pict) and recently picked up a 72 burb at an estate sale I couldnt turn down. 29000 original miles, original paint, interior. Had not been moved or started since 1988. Runs good - but has a tank full of 1988 fuel. needs fuel and brake lines and the interior is really musty but the whole thing should clean up nicely. It would have to be one of the ugliest colors. I had been looking for a body for my 68 for years but this one is too good to dismantle for that project although I think the 68 front end in the nicest of the era. Got it running out of a can and really runs well and quiet.
My plan it to replace fluids, brake fuel systems including lines remove and shampoo the interior and drive it. It came with an aftermarket radio that does not work and the heater fan doesnt work but other than that and with no brakes I have no idea about the trans but everything else works. I would like to install one of the upgraded radios with the factory knobs but I do not have the factory knobs - does anyone know if the upgraded radios come with those knobs or where I could geta set of factory radio knobs? Also wher the best place to get prebent fuel and brake lines front to rear? Would also like to break up the paint job by installing the lower trim and maybe painting the bottom white to match the top. I have not been able to find that trim for the suburbans. I would like the woodgrain trim because there is some woodgrain trim inside. I included a couple picts. I have done frame-off restorations before - and really dont want to go that deep with this one.
I did a 1986 half ton, 1946 IH firetruck, 1957 Rogers trailer, and last spring finished a 3 year frame off on my 76 Kenworth. Thanks for all your input.

Thanks
Bill
Attached Images

Last edited by wabash15; 10-20-2009 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Added Photos
wabash15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
moonshinner

Re: A couple questions from a new member

fine lines may have the brake lines they have the ones for the trucks
moonshinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
capev86

lmc truck carries reproduction and stanless brake lines for 67-72 pickups. i would think the long bed setup could be adapted to a suburban very easily. the other route is to bend them yourself. if you go that route, buy stainless lines or atleast the coated lines for long life!
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
wabash15

Thumbs up Re: A couple questions from a new member

I can bend them - have done allot of them but when they are available - why bother!
Old 10-17-2009, 11:12 PM   #5
vectorit
What?

I've checked this out myself, and prefabed longbed PU brake lines are different.

Inline Tube says they can copy your originals if you send them your old ones, but I'd have reservations about that due to my experiences with this company.

Probably better to fab them up yourself, being that they are a smaller diameter it would be pretty easy as compared to the fuel line. I hand bent a stainless fuel line for my burb, and it took some time and effort to get it right (a little frustrating). If your brake lines are not damaged, I'd keep using them and avoid the hassle factor. I'd overhaul all four brakes with new wheel cylinders, and replace the master cylinder then flush with NEW brake fluid. Old fluid can have moisture in it, and it's cheap enough to just buy a big bottle of the stuff.

Are you going to restore the 68 to look like a 68, or are you going to do it to your personal taste? If going with 68 trim, be real carefull with it. Since no one I found sells it for the rear half behind the front doors. If you are gonna keep it, send it out to get re anodized. I did that, and couldn't be more happier with the results.

Congrats on getting the time capsule burb! I can't wait to see the pictures, and be sure to take plenty of pics. We like pictures!
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
wabash15

added picts to original Post
Old 10-20-2009, 06:08 PM   #7
vectorit
What?

That mustard color one looks cherry! (I'm sure there is a real name for that color)

What are your plans for the blue one?
I'm real interested in more detailed close up shots of the blue one.

Last edited by vectorit; 10-20-2009 at 06:09 PM.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:31 AM   #8
wabash15

I am not really sure on the blue one yet - I would still like to rebuild it but the bottom side is real bad. is 396 automatic from the factory - engine is in bad shape. it is in storage in a barn right now - can get you some picts but it will not be until spring when I can dig it out. - no lights in the barn.