The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2018, 10:24 AM   #1
jfnar

Need help to identify some wires

I'm trying to clean up some butchered wiring on my 68 gmc and there are 3 loose wires that I haven't been able to identify. I'll attempt to post pictures. The heater and radio have been removed so some of these may be related to those missing parts. The first wire is on the ignition switch. It appears to have been spliced at some point but the connector has been pulled off. It's hot when the key is "on."
Attached Images

jfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #2
jfnar

Re: Need help to identify some wires

The second one is two tan wires that come from the same part of the harness as the ignition switch. They go into a connector and only one tan wire comes out and is not connected to anything. This wire is hot all the time.
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
jfnar

The last one is two green wires, one darker than the other, with a V shaped connector. I've not seen this type of connector before. It comes from just above the steering column. One of the contacts in the connector is hot when the key is "on."
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2018, 10:31 AM   #4
jfnar

Any help in identifying these wires will be greatly appreciated. The electrical aspect of this hobby is not my strong suit. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:45 PM   #5
ray_mcavoy

The cut wire on the ignition switch connector in the 1st pic appears to be the "ACC" wire. It should be live in both the "on/run" and "accessory" key positions. And it originally had a 12ga brown wire connecting it to the fuse box where it fed power to the "wiper", "b/u lps", "radio / tcs", and "heat / air cond" fuses. I believe there was also a 24ga brown/white resistance wire from the alternator "exciter" circuit connected to this "acc" terminal as well.

I'm not sure about the tan wires in the 2nd pic. The only tan wires I'm aware of in that location (near the ignition switch) are for the "brake" warning light on the dash. One side of the "brake" warning light is connected to power (switched on/off via the pink wire on the ignition). And the other side is connected to the tan wire which gets grounded by either the switch in the brake distribution block or a set of contacts in the ignition switch. When the tan wire isn't grounded, it will show voltage (through the bulb filament) coming from the pink wire but that circuit should only be live with the key on (not all the time).

The green wires in the last pic are for the reverse light switch. The dark green is a power feed (from the "b/u lps" fuse) and the light green wire runs back to the lights. In your pic, it appears as though there is a broken off portion of the old switch still plugged into the connector.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote