The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 01:08 AM   #101
67 Burb

Re: 67-72 Chevy Truck fuel gauge diagnostics 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancialonnie View Post
This is a great write up however I am having a slightly different problem. I know my sender works as it is new and tested. My fuel gauge just moves erratically, it goes from being correct to way past full for a few minutes then back to correct and it may stay there or it may go down to empty then back to past full to correct again. There is no rhyme or reason to this, it just moves all over the place. is it a bad ground? Where should I ground the gauge to make sure I have a good ground?
How is the sender grounded? It sounds like it momentarily loses ground and the gauge goes past full, then it finds ground and reads correct. If it is using the tank for ground, that may be the problem. It needs a ground wire from the sender to the truck frame.
Attached Images

1967 2wd Burb, 350/TH350, 3.73 posi
Old 01-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #102
Lancialonnie

I have a good ground on the sender so I believe the problem is a bad ground on the gauge. I'm just not sure how the gauge should be grounded, from one of gauge terminals?
Old 01-19-2018, 02:36 PM   #103
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
I have a good ground on the sender so I believe the problem is a bad ground on the gauge. I'm just not sure how the gauge should be grounded, from one of gauge terminals?
The gauge is grounded to the cluster with the lower terminal on the gauge. If it was bad the gauge would give a non reading rather than what you are seeing. Concentrate on what Burb is saying and check the tan wire connection on the fuse panel marked FUEL. The other possibility is the no. 4 terminal on the cluster plug connection. It is the return path to ground for the gauge.

Name:  cluster connector with gauges.jpg
Views: 2035
Size:  27.8 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:51 AM   #104
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
This is a great write up however I am having a slightly different problem. I know my sender works as it is new and tested. My fuel gauge just moves erratically, it goes from being correct to way past full for a few minutes then back to correct and it may stay there or it may go down to empty then back to past full to correct again. There is no rhyme or reason to this, it just moves all over the place. is it a bad ground? Where should I ground the gauge to make sure I have a good ground?
If you want to add a ground, you can use the center lower terminal on the fuel gauge itself. Do you have any issues with any other gauges/lights? Also check the ground screws on the circuit board, one by the fuel gauge and one by the speedo. The cluster gets its ground through the connector and through the circuit board. very common burn spot on the circuit board is near the connector plug in. Make sure the circuit board does not have any burn spots and the grounds are tight. Also if the cluster tins have been painted, it can cause a ground issue between the fuel gauge tin and the main tin.

Check all the 5/16 nuts on the back and make sure all are tight. It sounds like a loose ground or bad connection to me.

Share what you find here please.

Thank you,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
Old 02-06-2018, 12:58 PM   #105
Benjamin

Subscribing
Old 02-07-2018, 11:46 PM   #106
CarpBlazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
If you want to add a ground, you can use the center lower terminal on the fuel gauge itself. Do you have any issues with any other gauges/lights? Also check the ground screws on the circuit board, one by the fuel gauge and one by the speedo. The cluster gets its ground through the connector and through the circuit board. very common burn spot on the circuit board is near the connector plug in. Make sure the circuit board does not have any burn spots and the grounds are tight. Also if the cluster tins have been painted, it can cause a ground issue between the fuel gauge tin and the main tin.

Check all the 5/16 nuts on the back and make sure all are tight. It sounds like a loose ground or bad connection to me.

Share what you find here please.

Thank you,
Tom
Curious about the common burn spot near the connector on the printed circuit, What could cause that spot to burn out?
Posted via Mobile Device

Edit: reason I ask is that my fuel gauge (71 Blazer) is stuck below empty, I noticed printed Circuit was burned out on ground circuit next to plug in. Replaced circuit and it burnt out again.
Turn signals are also permanently lit..
Grateful for any advice I’m stumped.
Ben

Last edited by CarpBlazer; 02-08-2018 at 12:09 AM. Reason: More info
Old 02-08-2018, 12:14 AM   #107
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpBlazer View Post
Curious about the common burn spot near the connector on the printed circuit, What could cause that spot to burn out?
Posted via Mobile Device
I am also a bit curious but my thought is it is the closest to the connector but weaker than the wiring in the connector. If any circuit gets shorted to ground, that spot seems to be the weak link in the flow.

While doing my testing, I have fried a few by shorts and that is the spot the burn through.

Maybe some of the others have some ideas. I know it is hard to keep good ones around for long

Old 02-08-2018, 12:35 AM   #108
CarpBlazer

Thanks Tom, looks like I’m on the hunt for a short to ground somewhere, I’ll report back once I find out where it is..hoping it will fix this fuel gauge stuck on empty situation.
Ben
Old 02-10-2018, 03:58 PM   #109
Lancialonnie

Thank you everyone for your input! It turns out I too have a burned out circuit board. When I reached up to feel what looked like a bad spot, I heard an arc so the battery is disconnected until the new circuit board is installed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2018, 08:02 PM   #110
CarpBlazer

Ok, so I figured out my electrical gremlin causing stuck fuel gauge below empty. I was having issues with all dash lights (turn signals solid, high beam indicator lit, everything that could light up on dash)to go on when ignition on and as I said above, fuel gauge was stuck below zero.
After checking the whole harness, replacing circuit board (only to fry the ground connection again) and hours of scratching my head..I realized the factory tach hot wire was running from fuse box ‘ignition unfused’ port to the upper center post on the tach. Problem is, that upper post is the ground post..Face palm...I attached it to ground and boom, everything works.
Fuel gauge is now working perfectly. I’m now on a mission to find correct wiring for factory tach.
This thread really helped me tackle all this and get it solved, Thanks!
Ben
Old 03-06-2018, 11:13 PM   #111
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpBlazer View Post
Ok, so I figured out my electrical gremlin causing stuck fuel gauge below empty. I was having issues with all dash lights (turn signals solid, high beam indicator lit, everything that could light up on dash)to go on when ignition on and as I said above, fuel gauge was stuck below zero.
After checking the whole harness, replacing circuit board (only to fry the ground connection again) and hours of scratching my head..I realized the factory tach hot wire was running from fuse box ‘ignition unfused’ port to the upper center post on the tach. Problem is, that upper post is the ground post..Face palm...I attached it to ground and boom, everything works.
Fuel gauge is now working perfectly. I’m now on a mission to find correct wiring for factory tach.
This thread really helped me tackle all this and get it solved, Thanks!
Ben
Hi Ben,

Did you get the tach figured out? Pretty simple to wire up. Let me know if you need help with it.

With face in palm, looking at the back, 12v is on the right, coil on the left and ground is the center stud which would only be used if the tach is not getting a good ground through the tin(s).

Tom

Old 03-07-2018, 11:39 AM   #112
CarpBlazer

Yes, from the previous tach wiring debacle, I fried one of the grounds in the printed circuit so decided to add a ground from the center stud at the tach to dash and all works great. Thanks for your help!
Old 03-07-2018, 06:03 PM   #113
Keystone_Hate

Just read this entire thing, plus a few other threads on fuel gauge stuff. Followed the steps for troubleshooting and narrowed it down to a sunk float on my sending unit. Everything is working as it should now. Thank you everyone for the awesome information. Saved me a lot of time and headache.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:00 AM   #114
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone_Hate View Post
Just read this entire thing, plus a few other threads on fuel gauge stuff. Followed the steps for troubleshooting and narrowed it down to a sunk float on my sending unit. Everything is working as it should now. Thank you everyone for the awesome information. Saved me a lot of time and headache.
That is awesome and if this helps just one person it was worth the time.

Yes, thank you everyone who adds there experience here.

Take care,
Tom

Old 04-08-2018, 12:41 PM   #115
Hoodogie

I know this is an old post but I hope someone will direct me a little bit. Not being great at electrical work I have read the previous threads and checked some things out with my gas gauge. Let me start and say that the gauged worked fine before I removed the cluster to change the printed circuit on the back in order to get my dash lights working. When I reinstalled it the gauge was reading at three o'clock. I then reached up behind the dash and found out that I haven't tighten the nuts down on the gauge terminals. I don't know if I had the key on or not but as I was tightening the nuts the gauge went from 3 o'clock to 3/4 full and hasn't moved since. I checked the resistance at the tank and got 68 which is what I think is correct for the gas I think is in the tank. When I remove the tan wire from the fuse box nothing happens to the gauge. When I grounded the terminal nothing happens with the gauge. Did I blow the resistor when I was tightening the nuts up I'm stumped
Old 04-08-2018, 02:11 PM   #116
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodogie View Post
I know this is an old post but I hope someone will direct me a little bit. Not being great at electrical work I have read the previous threads and checked some things out with my gas gauge. Let me start and say that the gauged worked fine before I removed the cluster to change the printed circuit on the back in order to get my dash lights working. When I reinstalled it the gauge was reading at three o'clock. I then reached up behind the dash and found out that I haven't tighten the nuts down on the gauge terminals. I don't know if I had the key on or not but as I was tightening the nuts the gauge went from 3 o'clock to 3/4 full and hasn't moved since. I checked the resistance at the tank and got 68 which is what I think is correct for the gas I think is in the tank. When I remove the tan wire from the fuse box nothing happens to the gauge. When I grounded the terminal nothing happens with the gauge. Did I blow the resistor when I was tightening the nuts up I'm stumped
It sounds like you have lost the power to the gauge. My first question is does the temp gauge work? Make sure the temp gauge works before anything else is done.

If the temp gauge does not work, check for battery voltage at the #3 terminal of the cluster connector. You should have voltage with key on. If not, check the gauge fuse.

Also it is critical that the circuit board tangs where the connector plugs in have not moved and caused a short. Over years they do come loose. Yu can repair with a dab of super glue if needed.

If you suspect the resistor is bad, remove it from the gauge and test it with an ohm meter from one side to the other. You should have approx 85 ohms.

The gauge will set at the 3 oclock poistion when it looses ground or the tan wire is not connected, which is the signal wire from the sender.

The gauge will stay where ever it stopped after ign is shut off or the gauge looses battery voltage.

Hope this helps,
Tom

Old 04-09-2018, 08:36 PM   #117
Hoodogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
It sounds like you have lost the power to the gauge. My first question is does the temp gauge work? Make sure the temp gauge works before anything else is done.

If the temp gauge does not work, check for battery voltage at the #3 terminal of the cluster connector. You should have voltage with key on. If not, check the gauge fuse.

Also it is critical that the circuit board tangs where the connector plugs in have not moved and caused a short. Over years they do come loose. Yu can repair with a dab of super glue if needed.

If you suspect the resistor is bad, remove it from the gauge and test it with an ohm meter from one side to the other. You should have approx 85 ohms.

The gauge will set at the 3 oclock poistion when it looses ground or the tan wire is not connected, which is the signal wire from the sender.

The gauge will stay where ever it stopped after ign is shut off or the gauge looses battery voltage.

Hope this helps,
Tom
I do have power at the gauge and the temp gauge works. What I did was run a ground wire to the bottom terminal and went down and put some gas in it the gauge is now reading a bit over full not at the 3oclock position. not sure if the ground fixed it or not yet I'll have to take it for a ride and see if it moves before I move to the next step. thanks you are a great help I'll let you know if the ground worked thanks again
Old 04-09-2018, 11:11 PM   #118
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodogie View Post
I do have power at the gauge and the temp gauge works. What I did was run a ground wire to the bottom terminal and went down and put some gas in it the gauge is now reading a bit over full not at the 3oclock position. not sure if the ground fixed it or not yet I'll have to take it for a ride and see if it moves before I move to the next step. thanks you are a great help I'll let you know if the ground worked thanks again

Old 04-15-2018, 02:57 PM   #119
Shotgunn

I may need therapy before this task is accomplished...
Gauge is at 3 o'clock position..
new tank/sending unit/ wires go all they way into the cab..proper ground.(LMC under bed tank)
pull the brown wire clip out of the fuse block and it reads 92 ohms with a full tank of gas. plug the clip back into the fuse block an check it while plugged in..32 ohms..back feed? I have 12.6 volts at the #3 on the plug with the key on. the battery and temperature gauge is disconnected. after market gauges installed oil/volts/temp.

Last edited by Shotgunn; 04-15-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:14 PM   #120
Hoodogie

I pulled my gauge cluster out during my resto and I replaced the circuit strip thing on the back because my temp gauge wasn't working. When I put it back together the gas gauge was at 3'oclock and before that it worked fine. I found out by reaching up behind the dash that I forgot to tighten the two nuts that hold the circuit strip to the gas gauge. As I was tightening the nuts the gauge move to 3/4 full and did not move so I attached a ground wire to the bottom terminal of the gauge and went down and put some gas in it then the gauge move to a bit over full. I did drive it a little bit the gauge is now at the full mark so it did move just not sure if its accurate yet. going to have to drive it a little more and carry a gallon with me.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:31 PM   #121
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgunn View Post
I may need therapy before this task is accomplished...
Gauge is at 3 o'clock position..
new tank/sending unit/ wires go all they way into the cab..proper ground.(LMC under bed tank)
pull the brown wire clip out of the fuse block and it reads 92 ohms with a full tank of gas. plug the clip back into the fuse block an check it while plugged in..32 ohms..back feed? I have 12.6 volts at the #3 on the plug with the key on. the battery and temperature gauge is disconnected. after market gauges installed oil/volts/temp.
Lets try and make it simple.

First using a test light, check for power right at the fuel gauge with the key in the run position. Is there power at the gauge? Or prefered use a meter and see what the actual voltage is. It should be 12.6 or so with just key on and engine not running. if you have 12.6 that means the circuit board is OK.

If you do not have 12.6, check the gauge fuse. The #3 pink wire at the connector is the gauge power and it powers both the fuel gauge and temp gaughe. If the circuit board touchs ground when the key is on, that will blow the fuse. You need to protect that terminal on the circuit board or use a stock temp gauge and connect it as designed. Not sure this is an issue but you should check.

You can also run a wire from the sending unit to the the back of the gauge. This will by pass the path of the tan wire. If this makes the fuel gauge work, the is a problem between the signal terminal on the gauge and the terminal at the sender for the signal wire.

Let me know if this helps you. It is easy to check your tank and sending unit for ground. Run a test light from the positive side of your battery and touch it to the sending unit. If test light lights, you have good ground at sending unit.

Tom

Old 04-16-2018, 12:08 AM   #122
Shotgunn

i have 11.8 volts on the top post of the gauge. seems low because my battery is 12.4 at the battery. all my lights in the dash work including the dimmer switch for the headlights and background light dimming.
If i have 92 ohms at the brown wire plug before i plug into the fuse block i shouldnt have to do any further checks on the sending unit..92 ohms is the correct reading for a fuel tank right?
Old 04-16-2018, 12:37 AM   #123
Shotgunn

it must be a bad gauge. i ran a jumper wire from the brown wire plug ( the one that plugs into the fuse block ) to the signal post on the gauge and the needle came back up to the 3 o'clock position. i noticed when i unplugged the brown wire clip from the fuse block, the needle took a nose dive to the 530 position.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:33 AM   #124
Shotgunn

Should I try a new gauge?
Old 04-19-2018, 12:53 AM   #125
Shotgunn

I guess I’m being ignored
Closed Thread