The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2018, 08:35 AM   #1
Perpendicular

Replacing steel with wood

I searched but I didn't find what I wanted so thought I would ask the consensus.

I want to replace my metal floor bed with wood. Not put one on top or buy a new bed, just take out what is there and pout wood in it's place. I like the overlay ones kinda and that may be my only options but figured someone has done this before, no?

Can that be done without destroying the rest of the bed or am I crazy to want to?
Perpendicular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:42 AM   #2
Charles wright

Re: Replacing steel with wood

mar-k has all he parts you need.
Charles wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:45 AM   #3
sick472

Perp, I converted my metal fleetside to wood. It's a lot of work and has a few caveats. I started this bed conversion years ago when I was on a strict budget, but would now buy the conversion kits that are now available.

The biggest trade-off is that the metal is thin and by just replacing the metal with wood (say 3/4" thick) the bed sides get raised the thickness of the wood which meant my cab and front clip had to have a body lift as well. My body lift came for free as my cab substructure had to be refabricated because of rust so I just made pieces 3/4" taller and added that same amount to the core support bushing rubbers. You could put the wood on top of the lips of the bedsides and inner fenders to avoid the lift, but then the wood bed does not match the same elevation of the tailgate when it's down and you have this gap all the way around the insides of the bed.

You will have to bust all the spot welds on the cross members so that they can be reused or make new ones. I notched and welded washers to my cross members so that the wood could be fastened to it and used the "T" bolts and skid strips for a hardware-free inner bed.

There's ALOT of pre-fitting, drilling, notching, preassembly, disassembly, cussing and patience involved getting approximately 150 fasteners to all line up and go together. I am sure that the wood went on the bed and off the bed during the fitment process 10 times. each time getting closer to the final product. It's a lot of fun if your into it. I am sure that there are a few different techniques to "get it done". Here are some pics of my job that should help you think it out.

I can get you more details and pics if you decide to run with the idea. With that said, I suggest that you look into using a kit for this purpose unless the budget does not allow. It should save you time. There is no kits involved with my bed, its all custom cut to fit. The only thing I didn't do myself is have the wood planed to thickness and width.
Attached Images

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:21 AM   #4
Perpendicular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick472 View Post
Perp, I converted my metal fleetside to wood. It's a lot of work and has a few caveats. I started this bed conversion years ago when I was on a strict budget, but would now buy the conversion kits that are now available.

The biggest trade-off is that the metal is thin and by just replacing the metal with wood (say 3/4" thick) the bed sides get raised the thickness of the wood which meant my cab and front clip had to have a body lift as well. My body lift came for free as my cab substructure had to be refabricated because of rust so I just made pieces 3/4" taller and added that same amount to the core support bushing rubbers. You could put the wood on top of the lips of the bedsides and inner fenders to avoid the lift, but then the wood bed does not match the same elevation of the tailgate when it's down and you have this gap all the way around the insides of the bed.

You will have to bust all the spot welds on the cross members so that they can be reused or make new ones. I notched and welded washers to my cross members so that the wood could be fastened to it and used the "T" bolts and skid strips for a hardware-free inner bed.

There's ALOT of pre-fitting, drilling, notching, preassembly, disassembly, cussing and patience involved getting approximately 150 fasteners to all line up and go together. I am sure that the wood went on the bed and off the bed during the fitment process 10 times. each time getting closer to the final product. It's a lot of fun if your into it. I am sure that there are a few different techniques to "get it done". Here are some pics of my job that should help you think it out.

I can get you more details and pics if you decide to run with the idea. With that said, I suggest that you look into using a kit for this purpose unless the budget does not allow. It should save you time. There is no kits involved with my bed, its all custom cut to fit. The only thing I didn't do myself is have the wood planed to thickness and width.
Wow, your bed looks fantastic! I love the sides.

That is great info! I would have not thought there would be a difference in height at all. I will reach out to Mar-K and see what they think and use your experience as a guide

Charles - thank you for the insight as well sir!

-Paul
Perpendicular is offline   Reply With Quote