The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2014, 07:28 PM   #1
Bjaxs

68 C10 headlights stopped working ?

Hi all,
I'm new here and hoping someone can help.
One day my high beams wouldn't come on but the lights still worked and the very next day both of them went out.
I have replaced the switch in the dash twice just to be sure and then replaced the dimmer switch on the floor and still no headlights. Everything else works fine so I took the dash apart and inspected all the wires and everything is connected good with no burned looking wires or frays anywhere so I am really at a loss as to what to do next, does anyone have a suggestion or point me in another direction?
The 327 engine and trany was done with new wiring less than 10k miles ago so it's not an old system and I am not a mechanic and was hoping to learn stuff on the way but I'm just lost now..
Thanks in advance for anyone taking their time to post.
Bjaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: 68 C10 headlights stopped working ?

If you noticed when you replaced the dimmer switch on the floor, There were 3 wires going to it. A blue wire, a tan wire, and a green wire. Those are the three wires that power the bright and dim headlights

When you pull the headlight switch knob all the way out. You should see 12 volts power on the blue wire and the dimmer switch directs this power to the green wire for the high beams, and to the tan wire when the low beam is selected..

The power gets to the lights and goes to the elements and into the radiator support to battery ground. If you have power on the blue wire and none of the lights work then I would jump between the blue wire in the dimmer switch plug and the green wire to see if the brights come on. Then if they do, or don't, come on, then jump the blue and tan wire and see if the low beams come on.

If none of the lights work, then they are all burned out or the grounds for the lights, are not making good connection to the radiator support or the battery negative.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:24 AM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: 68 C10 headlights stopped working ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
If you noticed when you replaced the dimmer switch on the floor, There were 3 wires going to it. A blue wire, a tan wire, and a green wire. Those are the three wires that power the bright and dim headlights

When you pull the headlight switch knob all the way out. You should see 12 volts power on the blue wire and the dimmer switch directs this power to the green wire for the high beams, and to the tan wire when the low beam is selected..

The power gets to the lights and goes to the elements and into the radiator support to battery ground. If you have power on the blue wire and none of the lights work then I would jump between the blue wire in the dimmer switch plug and the green wire to see if the brights come on. Then if they do, or don't, come on, then jump the blue and tan wire and see if the low beams come on.

If none of the lights work, then they are all burned out or the grounds for the lights, are not making good connection to the radiator support or the battery negative.
What he said! X2

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #4
Bjaxs

Thanks for the help..turns out the ground wire was not connected good like you said and also had a burned out light..
Thanks again!!
Bjaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:55 AM   #5
SonomaComa

Is it difficult to install a relay for the headlights
SonomaComa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:30 AM   #6
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaComa View Post
Is it difficult to install a relay for the headlights
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsmith121 View Post
Yaa Is it so difficult to install.

No, it is one of the easiest mods to do.

read these.

https://www.google.com/search?domain...D%3A1%3B&hl=en

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote