The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2018, 02:53 AM   #1
Bobby Pootz

Gremlins? Odd electrical failures, connected or coincidence?

The following issues have occurred on my daily driver within a week.

First the passenger headlight went out, then a day later, the truck battery was dead and needed a jump. The truck started fine the next two days but the volt meter fluctuated between straight up 13 and more when first started up or less as items were used like the wipers or lights. And tonight, the fuel tank switcher died. I’m thinking these are all related.

Am I right to think it’s all connected or are these all just different issues happening at once?

1984 C10 305 CA truck and the alternator looks like the newest thing on the engine.

Thanks in advance!
Posted via Mobile Device
Bobby Pootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:55 AM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Gremlins? Odd electrical failures, connected or coincidence?

Well it sounds like your alternator is failing, but there may be other causes as well.
You need to start with the basics and clean all your connections, starting with the battery terminals and cables at both ends, and check the grounds on the ends of the negative cable. Then check the headlight grounds on the right headlight. Does both the low and high beam fail to light or just the low beam your bulb may just be blown.

The truck battery could be going bad or the alternator isn't keeping it charged. If you can check the large output wire on the back with a multi-meter, set to DC voltage, you should get between 13 and 15 volts at idle.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:26 AM   #3
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

If you feel you have the ability here is a good you tube rebuild on your alternator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyAFRyaU7dI

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:05 PM   #4
Bobby Pootz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
Well it sounds like your alternator is failing, but there may be other causes as well.
You need to start with the basics and clean all your connections, starting with the battery terminals and cables at both ends, and check the grounds on the ends of the negative cable. Then check the headlight grounds on the right headlight. Does both the low and high beam fail to light or just the low beam your bulb may just be blown.

The truck battery could be going bad or the alternator isn't keeping it charged. If you can check the large output wire on the back with a multi-meter, set to DC voltage, you should get between 13 and 15 volts at idle.
Thank you for your advice, I will certainly do this. I've had a lot of creaks and groans from driving it often so I was thinking something in the dash got loose and I'll start checking all my connections.

The low beam bulb is out but it was only three months old so that's what was strange to me.

Thank you again, I'll start tracing all my wires and reconnecting the grounds.
Bobby Pootz is offline   Reply With Quote