The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2018, 01:33 AM   #1
dtkarst

1969 shortbed

Going to look at this 69 short fleet. 307 2 barrel carb and 4 speed on the floor runs and drives, but needs carb gone through and stuff like that. Here’s the fun part...claims it’s almost completely rust free minus light surface rust. Also says it’s original paint on it but the front fender is in primer and the firewall is red. Pretty plain Jane with no power steering or brakes and no ac. Not a big deal to me but just trying to get an idea of what a fair price would be. He’s asking 3500 obo, he had it for sale last year for about a month at 4,500 I believe and still has it. What do you guys think for it if it’s as straight as described?
Attached Images

dtkarst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:35 AM   #2
WhiteCST

Re: 1969 shortbed

Based on my area (southwest Kansas) that’s a pretty good price for a short bed. I paid $1200 for my longbed in comparable shape and I’ve been told that was a good price.
2006 Dodge Charger RT

Built TH400 for Sale
WhiteCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:36 AM   #3
WhiteCST

Just saw you’re from Hays, we’re in the same area lol
2006 Dodge Charger RT

Built TH400 for Sale
WhiteCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:53 AM   #4
dtkarst

Yeah we’re not too far apart! I’m just trying to an idea of what it could be sold for. I know when I look at a pickup I think how much will I be able to put in it and still get back out of it should I decide to sell it? I haven’t restored anything yet and probably won’t for a while to come yet so I like t get the mechanically sound and if I really like them I keep them
Old 06-21-2018, 10:01 AM   #5
mr.precision

$3500 is a good price for an example as you describe. Look for rust in the usual places, as that's a deal killer. The door gaps look pretty good from what I can see. The truck would bring $4500+ here in AZ.
mr.precision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:30 AM   #6
morepwr

That is a fair price. It would certainly sell in a hurry here for that amount. If it indeed isn't rusted, I would grab it if I was you.
morepwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:32 AM   #7
jfnar

$3500 seems about right if it's truly rust free but I'd bet your next paycheck there will be rust. For a truck that old to be rust free it would have had to have been garage kept for it's entire life. That doesn't look like a garage kept truck. The price is still not bad if the damage is easily repairable. Look carefully at the rockers, cab corners, floor, etc. Check with a magnet in case some bondo has been covered up by the gray primer. Don't expect to fix it up and get your money back if you sell. To turn a $3500 truck into a $5000 truck takes a lot more than $1500. Good luck with it. I hope it works out for you.
jfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #8
Grumpy old man

That truck has secrets , I'd be sure to bring old clothes a good flashlight and take my time crawling all over/under it and really look up under the dash for that hidden rust .It's been sitting in that same spot for a long time just by looking at the tires in the dirt , From these pictures I'd wave $2,000 in cash in front of him . Also I'd want to see it on flat pavement to see if it's twisted or just looks that way in these pics ,$3,500 still buys a lot of decent trucks ....

It's easier to flip a $10,000 truck for $15,000 than it is a $2,000 truck for $5,000

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 06-21-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #9
dtkarst

Yeah I’ve gone and looked at several that are “rust free” and well you guys know what was found. Makes me nervous it’s been for sale before and is up again and he still has it. But never know until you see it yourself. I don’t intend on giving full price u less it is real straight and little no rot through any where. I appreciate the input though it’s always helpful on these things
Old 06-21-2018, 04:14 PM   #10
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Looks to me like it was repainted 30+ years ago or has body parts from another truck put onto that cab.

The outside color should be the same as the inner edge of the front fenders and firewall. The inside edge of the driver side fender that is in primer looks to match the firewall in color so I would venture a guess that it is in primer because it was red on the outside and clashed with the donor vehicle white body panels.

I don't think I have ever seen a black roof on a white truck before that was original paint. Another possible clue to red paint cover-up.

It may still be a decent truck well worth buying even being sourced from several vehicles but you need to take a close look at all the normal problem areas and watch for missing / broken fasteners. I looked at a truck on a car lot once and there were no bolts in the cab mounts! The only thing holding it in place was gravity and grease
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:19 PM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
And you probably already know this, but compare the title, VIN plate, SPID, and frame numbers just for peace of mind....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:00 PM   #12
dtkarst

Went and took a look today, very smooth running motor, title states the mileage to be actual at 93,000 and some change. Very solid floors, passenger rockers, corners, box, and roof. Inner fenders each have about a half dollar size rust hole on each. It’s been pieced with some different doors and different fender and what looks like rattle canned white and a grey top. SPiD was painted over, but the title matches the cab, not sure where the frame vins are on the 69s so if anyone could help me out with that that’d be great. Downfalls though are the speakers that were installed to the kick panels and the rust on the bottom of the drive side kick panels and very top of the rocker. Ran a magnet all over it and it’s solid. He’s at 3,000 for it and thinking of offering 2 and maybe see if we can meet in the middle on it. Be a fun one to drive just don’t want to get too deep into it money wise. I like to fix them up and get the driveable and drive them until the next one comes along. Here’s some more pictures, you guys have been a lot of help
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2018, 10:07 PM   #13
rjs53

Last to pictures are the money shot. Kick panel and part of the floor are rusted, so I would look close at the cab supports. The rocker has some holes so probably safe to say damage behind them. Inner rocker may have some rust, I would definitely check those cab corners. Not hard or expensive to replace if you do it yourself, just time consuming doing it right. I would jump on it for $2000-$2500.
rjs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:44 PM   #14
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Numbers on frame are just behind steering box. It will be a partial VIN.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:57 PM   #15
dtkarst

Awesome thank you for the picture I’ll have to take a look at it. As far as the supports and cab corners they’re rock solid, couldn’t get a light enough picture underneath. But the kick panel and that spot on top of the rocker has the same size hole directly below it on the inner. Otherwise a very straight rocker yet. I’m not sure what the kick panel work entails..
Old 06-22-2018, 12:16 AM   #16
rjs53

I made a patch for it and tacked it on. Used a flap disc to clean it up.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:37 AM   #17
tutone

For what its worth, I took a terry cloth rag and daubed cheap thinner on my last 67's SPID. It worked on loosening the paint and removing enough to read the VIN and most of the options....
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:26 AM   #18
72 tigger

Wonder why it’s been sitting in the same place for a while? Hasn’t been sitting as long as this Vette I saw this week
Attached Images

72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:58 AM   #19
dtkarst

Wouldn’t mind finding that vette sitting somewhere haha but going by all of the vehicles sitting around from a 71 shortbed to a late 60s Ford, couple of s10s and other newer things he likes to buy them and that’s about it. Seems to me that he fires this one up and drives it around the farm seeing as how he hopped in it and about half a crank she fired up. Looks like the doors have been swapped with another pickup and one fender. We will see what we can get together on
Old 06-22-2018, 09:49 AM   #20
hotwls13

Around here (California), that truck would sell for $5k EASY. Original Shortbed is the key. Chopped up shortbeds (previous longbeds) probably draw $5k. I paid $2500 for "running not driving" 70 GMC LWB a few months ago. My bed is in horrible shape, rockers had already been replaced. Still not roadworthy but getting closer. Easily have another $1500 into it in parts/wheels/windshield etc.
hotwls13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:01 AM   #21
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Sorry to be the barer of bad news.But most of the people on this site are not body people.An the ones that are can tackle a job with cancer in the floor and other places.When i was buying the prime of the prime of car's and trucks.I would stay away from cancer with so many out there to choose from from 1990--95.Why buy a cancer fill car or trucks Those where the good old days.Now days your left with the over looked trucks Most did not want to spend the money to convert or Fix.

Numbers matching trucks No such thing If you look at stock trucks to ones with Updated stuff added to them No one wants a 4 speed cast iron trans or 3 on the tree.No one wants a 4.56 rear gear 1 ton.The no power brakes and steering and AC Most of the kids now want the best of the best.Every truck i see now days and i hear so many of them updating to disc brakes.So pro mod trucks is where ever one want to go stock will not Cut it.
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #22
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
Sorry to be the barer of bad news.But most of the people on this site are not body people.An the ones that are can tackle a job with cancer in the floor and other places.When i was buying the prime of the prime of car's and trucks.I would stay away from cancer with so many out there to choose from from 1990--95.Why buy a cancer fill car or trucks Those where the good old days.Now days your left with the over looked trucks Most did not want to spend the money to convert or Fix.

Numbers matching trucks No such thing If you look at stock trucks to ones with Updated stuff added to them No one wants a 4 speed cast iron trans or 3 on the tree.No one wants a 4.56 rear gear 1 ton.The no power brakes and steering and AC Most of the kids now want the best of the best.Every truck i see now days and i hear so many of them updating to disc brakes.So pro mod trucks is where ever one want to go stock will not Cut it.

frame vin matching vin plate matching original spid is a numbers matching truck . The "kids" can want whatever they want but "most" can't afford "the best of the best " and all the goodies , Tell the guy's like Joe'sjunk his pristine stock trucks "aren't going to cut it "
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:31 PM   #23
dtkarst

Not sure where the point got lost in Stsalvages post but it did. I’m not here buying pickups to cater to kids who want all those things. I’ll drive it awhile, fix a thing or two then if something different comes along then I’ll possibly move it for the next. I enjoy bringing these things back to life and getting them road worthy and usually sell them to those who do the same or someone who will do a complete restoration on them. For 3,000 he’d throw in a 5-lug disc brake cross member and a 5 bolt rear end and a couple other pieces. We’re in the negotiating stage right now and hopefully I can get her bought for a decent price.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:32 AM   #24
rjs53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtkarst View Post
Not sure where the point got lost in Stsalvages post but it did. I’m not here buying pickups to cater to kids who want all those things. I’ll drive it awhile, fix a thing or two then if something different comes along then I’ll possibly move it for the next. I enjoy bringing these things back to life and getting them road worthy and usually sell them to those who do the same or someone who will do a complete restoration on them. For 3,000 he’d throw in a 5-lug disc brake cross member and a 5 bolt rear end and a couple other pieces. We’re in the negotiating stage right now and hopefully I can get her bought for a decent price.
Sounds like it could turn out to be a good deal. Let is know what happens
Old 06-25-2018, 02:01 PM   #25
dtkarst

Wel has a deal in place, 3,000 cash for the pickup shook hands on it and everything, 5-lug rear and front cross member and a fender. Had a clean California title on it, but the vin tag was missing from the cab. I called to see what the necessary steps were if I were to buy it with the seller there. I had to match the frame vin with the one on the title and if it matched they’d put a new plate on it. So I left there and he was going to look at it since it needed cleaned up to see what the frame numbers were and I was going to come back the next day. Tried calling him the next couple days(this weekend) to no answer until he calls me back on Sunday evening saying he came home and a couple people were looking at it and one was offering 3600 which is 100 more than he was asking. I asked why a deal wasn’t a deal when I was trying to get ahold of him all weekend to go get it and he said well they’re offering more and he’d let me know if it didn’t work out. To which I told him don’t bother as I won’t deal with people like that. He called this morning and was asking if I had interest in another pickup he has and I declined it but then he says “yeah those guys really wanted it, they have me 4,200 bucks for it” and to that I just said yeah I’m sure they did give you 600 more than what you were asking for it. And told him it takes a certain kind of person to have a deal I place but not answer when I want to pick it up then has random people suddenly show up to give him 700 more than he was originally asking. He sure didn’t want me to come back it seemed to clean off the frame horn to find the secondary vin on the frame. Also the ignition hole I noticed was pretty beat up like it was trying to be forced out but then again I’ve had them in there tight before but I Dow hat I can not to bend anything up. With the vin issues maybe I dodged a bullet. But that’s the update on this one. Until the next one comes along I guess. I appreciate your guys help.