The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2018, 06:43 PM   #1
kipps

Using a scan tool on a ls-swap

Might be a bit of a newbie question, but was wondering...

Assuming a typical basically-stock ls swap, can the local mechanics shop use their scan tool to read live data as easily as they could on the original 2010 tahoe?

If the tune has been adjusted considerably, or parts have been swapped out, does that affect the ability to read data and troubleshoot at a typical independent mechanic's shop?
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:33 PM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: Using a scan tool on a ls-swap

Scan tool will only tell you what’s happening, won’t allow you to program or change anything.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:50 PM   #3
Wildkarde

Scan tools will work exactly the same on a swapped ls as they do on a stock vehicle. Some of the parameters might be different thatn what the tech is looking for if the tune is modified though. But as long as they know that it shouldnt be an issue.
Wildkarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:37 PM   #4
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

A LS engine swap will run without the obdii port... if you have wired it in, yes it will read the ecu/trans just like normal

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

The only real difference would be if you start running custom PID's, manual code (very uncommon), or stacking ECM's. A tech2 wouldn't have the additional parameters to define what its seeing in those cases, but it would still work on everything except those specific areas. I.e. a 72 with an 05 motor would still read just like a regular 05 truck (except with lots of emissions/Bcm codes set to non-report)

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:28 PM   #6
kipps

Thanks for the responses.

I assumed it was possible, but wanted to check to be sure. Once the truck is completed, I'll be using an el-cheapo code reader to read trouble codes, but I'll be depending on a local mechanics shop for any more extensive troubleshooting.
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:33 PM   #7
LH Lead-Foot

My donor engine came out in back yard from entire vehicle, so i got everything. I mounted the 100k engine on a nice pallet and pipe gussets from pallet to engine so I could run and check oil pressure, compression, leak down and to hear it. I use my OTC pressure pot thru filter to run TOP Engine Cleaner to clean injectors and then keep it running, but to by-pass "VATS". So next, I installed BCM and place 9k ohm resistor to do a 10 minute relearn that worked fine. (Forgot I could do it with the TECH2) I have a TECH2, I could see everything fine, live engine data, codes, history, fail records (5 on TECH2), o2 sensors, etc.
One point for you is to write down or take photo of OEM donor VIN number. If the PCM goes down in the future, it can be programmed on the bench at the dealer or other well equipped local shop using the VIN.
Your tuner may change the info for your application, but I don't know if they can program a blank PCM out of the box. Best to ask because i don't know.
It is best practices to have that info anyways. Just saying. The guys who "Tune" PCM's can tell you.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:15 PM   #8
Wildkarde

a "blank" ecm will require a trip to the dealer or someone with a techII to have a vin/os installed before it can be tuned by something like hptuners/efilive.
Wildkarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:19 PM   #9
davepl

It's true, and when I did it, the dealer would ONLY do it in car, not on the bench. That was to buy a spare PCM for a new Z06, but it seemed to be their policy.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:37 PM   #10
LH Lead-Foot

Yes. Keeping the VIN from the donor is my main point as it is used to program a new PCM with the operating system for the vehicle it is going into. Today, a subscription to ACDelco TIS2WEB will get the files needed for a "Flash" or complete program using the TECH2, GM MDI and any J2534 device and several other used in the aftermarket. They have several programs that range from cheap to expensive and last up to 3 years. I have been in some shops who used wireless for programming a vehicle in the parking lot. That scares me a little. If battery voltage drops, a cord comes loose, connection is lost or any error occurs during programing, do not shut off the key. Just re-start the programming and repeat. Turing the key off is a re-boot that takes those file from short term memory into long term memory. That's bad. I got my TECH2 in 1992 so I did not have to wait if it was in use else where in the dealer. Updating a module or node on the serial bus will fix a known problem that engineering have identified, but a new one, needs the original files so it knows what vehicle it is installed, as some modules like a Drivers Door Module or Passengers Door module, or like a BCM that works with 2003 - 2008 in Utilities like the GMT800 2dr., 4dr., lift gate. Amazing times.