The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2018, 09:37 AM   #2476
knomadd

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Looks good Vic! Can't wait to see it this weekend. Call or text when you're in the Houston area.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:48 AM   #2477
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Looks good Vic! Can't wait to see it this weekend. Call or text when you're in the Houston area.
Will do, Duane. Hoping our plans don't change, though. We're holed up in McAlester, OK waiting for a line of severe storms to pass thru before we can swing by an auto parts store and then hit the road to Fort Worth. CRLS has developed a couple of problems on the road. It's suddenly become very hard to start, but will eventually fire after a couple of tries which is sort of a nail biter. This seemed to start after we fueled up yesterday and put 87 octane in it instead of 91. I doubt that had anything to do with it, but I'll switch back to 91 from here on out. Don't know if there will be any tuner vendors at the LMC show, but if there are, I may see if they can check out the programming.

But the more serious problem is with the serpentine belt. I noticed yesterday after about 250 miles that the AC was cycling a lot. We pulled into a truck stop for a break and when we went to leave, the belt was squealing like pig. Turned off the air and it finally settled down, but when it's not running you can see black specks in the pulley grooves which is a sure sign the belt is self destructing. I'll pick up a spare this morning and some belt dressing, but there's no way I'm driving 3000 miles without AC. We're going to try to make Houston this weekend but if the belt problem persists, we may have to trailer it back to KC, revise our vacation route and take the Daytona for the remainder. Fingers crossed!
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:45 PM   #2478
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Wish you the best of luck on the trip Vic..

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:22 PM   #2479
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

i know I am the wrong way but if you need help on your return trip I am in winfield and would be happy to assist... I think you have my phone number

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:34 PM   #2480
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Wish you the best of luck on the trip Vic..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot949 View Post
i know I am the wrong way but if you need help on your return trip I am in winfield and would be happy to assist... I think you have my phone number
Thanks guys! We made it to Granbury, TX today with no new issues. Drove thru torrential rain from McAlester, OK to Gainsville, TX and the truck did fine. No leaks or anything. I don't normally use Rain-X but I applied some before leaving on the trip and it worked great, even in the heaviest downpours. I did have to drill a small hole in the bottom of each door to drain the water that collected in them. Forgot to replace the weep holes when I welded the new lower door patch panels on. Live and learn.

The belt conditioner helped a little bit and I had a new, spare serpentine belt just in case. Truck still starts hard, but it does start. The belt squealing was almost nonexistent and we were able to run the AC since the windows were up all day. Looks like the LMC truck show may see some rain tomorrow but Saturday should be very nice. Will post pictures when I get some.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:06 AM   #2481
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Glad you made it... The last 3 years that I know of that show had gotten rain at least one day of the show... LOL

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:01 PM   #2482
sduckworth13

Glad to hear you made it safe and sound without anymore problems.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:15 PM   #2483
knomadd

Glad you made it. Hopefully you wont have any more issues with the belt. I bet there will be some tuners there that can help you out with your starting issue. Just curious, what does it sound like when starting? Does it sound normal but just not start or does it sound really labored? Does anything come out of the exhaust when you do start it? I'm curious of two things... 1) do you have enough fuel pressure when starting it initially, or is it having to build up pressure before it does start? 2) If it's labored, is your battery low, or is there some sort of mechanical interference the engine has to overcome?

Just spit balling trying to get the gears turning for a diagnosis. Hope you get it figured out soon. Good luck!

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 05-04-2018, 08:43 PM   #2484
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot949 View Post
Glad you made it... The last 3 years that I know of that show had gotten rain at least one day of the show... LOL
Thanks, Dan, you're exactly right and today wasn't any different. It rained all morning and didn't start to slack off until around 2pm. Photos below of one of the vendor areas and some of the trucks parked out in the main lot. Bet there wasn't even 100 trucks there all told. Jay and I left our trucks at the house and took his SUV up to the event to pick up his credentials and do a quick walkabout. Cold and wet! Tomorrow is supposed to be much nicer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
Glad to hear you made it safe and sound without anymore problems.
Thanks, Scott. No new problems, but the old ones haven't cleared up either.
Quote:
Glad you made it. Hopefully you wont have any more issues with the belt. I bet there will be some tuners there that can help you out with your starting issue. Just curious, what does it sound like when starting? Does it sound normal but just not start or does it sound really labored? Does anything come out of the exhaust when you do start it? I'm curious of two things... 1) do you have enough fuel pressure when starting it initially, or is it having to build up pressure before it does start? 2) If it's labored, is your battery low, or is there some sort of mechanical interference the engine has to overcome?

Just spit balling trying to get the gears turning for a diagnosis. Hope you get it figured out soon. Good luck!
Hey, Duane. Engine sounds normal, just cranks for a really long time. The Advanced Keys box eventually times out and you have to reset it for a second try. Usually starts on the second attempt. I only checked the fuel pressure in the shop once when I first tested the system and it was 60 lbs as I recall. Don't think there's a problem. There were no tuner guys in the vendor area (like HP Tuners or Diablo). There were some builders that may do that as a byproduct of their builds, but I didn't ask around. I can have Jay check to see what, if anything, comes out of the exhaust but from inside the truck nothing is apparent. Battery seems plenty hot, although one of the GMPP people at the show claimed that red top Optima batteries are junk. Mine is new and has never been discharged, so I don't know why it would be suspect. It just seems like it's not getting a signal it needs to fire. All that should be virtually instantaneous.

I didn't get a chance to call March about the belt issue, so that will have to wait until Monday now. We ran the AC from McAlester to Gainsville yesterday without any issues. Belt still squeals occasionally... usually right after starting. At this point, I don't know if it's the tensioner or one of the accessories. The PS pump has had a very low growl from the beginning, but the fluid in the tank is clear as a bell and both the steering and the hydraulic brake booster work like a charm.

We're headed to Houston tomorrow after the show. I'll PM you about a time to come visit.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2018, 02:16 PM   #2485
Xeen

Hey Vic did the engine start hard before it was "tuned" or is this only happening after?
Old 05-05-2018, 04:29 PM   #2486
knomadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
Engine sounds normal, just cranks for a really long time. The Advanced Keys box eventually times out and you have to reset it for a second try. Usually starts on the second attempt.
This sounds like you have an issue with the Advanced Keys system communicating with the ECM. This is just a guess, but if resetting it makes it work, something may not be working in the system on the first attempt. If it's not in the AK system, it might be whatever wire that system uses to send the start signal to the ecm. If the ECM is unable to trigger the ignition or fuel injectors, it won't start, but it needs to be told you want it to start. The starter can't do that, nor will the large purple wire sent to the starter via the neutral safety switch. Easiest thing to check is for a loose wire or connection. Likely not something that would be fixed with a reset though.

You probably won't be able to try this until you get home, but if you have a way to bypass the AK system, you could test to see if it fires right up without it.

C/10 Club Texas member

Last edited by knomadd; 05-05-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #2487
Low Elco

Glad you're still rolling! Hope it's going well!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:00 PM   #2488
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
Hey Vic did the engine start hard before it was "tuned" or is this only happening after?
This all started on the trip shortly after stopping to fill up with gas at a Love's truck stop. It was hard to start (and even died once) before we got out of the parking lot. Since then, I've put nothing but 93 octane in it and it seems to be starting somewhat better. It's still not instantaneous, but it's pretty quick and certainly not cranking forever like before. I'm starting to think it was an issue with that particular fuel stop. It was also the mid grade fuel instead of premium, but I'm unsure if that would be a factor.
Quote:
... You probably won't be able to try this until you get home, but if you have a way to bypass the AK system, you could test to see if it fires right up without it.
Actually, that was one of the first things I tried. I had tied off the stock wiring harness plug for the ignition switch under the dash when I put in the AK system. I also carried the switch and key with us just in case. So I plugged it in and tried it, but there was no difference. Forgot to mention that when we were down at your place yesterday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Glad you're still rolling! Hope it's going well!
We're still fighting some issues, but we're slowly winning. There's a problem between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid that I'll have to address when we get home. After we left the show on Saturday, we stopped to eat and the truck wouldn't even turn over. I finally MacGyver'd it by cutting the wire going into the solenoid, splicing some wire onto it and touching the bare end momentarily to the positive battery post. With the ignition on, it fires right up. So that's how we're starting it right now.

We decided the problem with the belt was that it was too long to start with and had stretched just enough to start slipping. I talked to March today and they said it would be fine to go to a 75.5" belt instead of the 76". I'm betting they didn't factor in the small diameter pulley on the alternator when they did their belt calculations. I had bought a brand new 76" and it was even looser than the one that was on there when we tried it. So we dropped back to 75.5" and it's nice and tight. No more squealing belt (knock on wood).

We developed a rattle underneath the truck on the way down, so while we had it up on ramps to install the belt, my bud, Bruce, found that the bolt holding the bottom of the RF fender to the rocker panel had worked loose and fallen out. We replaced it and the rattle is gone.

The PWM controller for the electric fans has been forcing the fans to run at way too low a temperature. So we adjusted it some to delay the onset of the fan signal. I plan to replace the controller with a fan relay that's switched via the fan output from the ECU when I get back home.

The LMC show in Fort Worth was fun, but there were several, pro-built, no expense spared 67-72 trucks there that grabbed the awards for our series. My bud, Jay, struck out with his '52 5-window also and it's super nice. I really didn't see anyone that looked like "judges" stop and give our trucks a once over. Late in the day, a guy on a four wheeler came by going from truck to truck putting stickers on them to indicate they'd been judged. So I reckon they were doing that to keep the riffraff quiet. Lotsa nice trucks though. I'll post some photos over the next few days.
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2018, 09:20 PM   #2489
builtbyKane

That's the type of shake down I use to do after a fresh build years ago. Now I'm to scared to attempt a long drive. Keep the updates coming.
builtbyKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:17 AM   #2490
Low Elco

Glad you're gaining ground. How's the ride on the bags?
Old 05-09-2018, 09:58 AM   #2491
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by builtbyKane View Post
That's the type of shake down I use to do after a fresh build years ago. Now I'm to scared to attempt a long drive. Keep the updates coming.
At this point, I'm fairly confident the truck will do okay on the trip home, but there's still that little "Uh Oh" that goes off in your head when something unusual happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Glad you're gaining ground. How's the ride on the bags?
Thanks, Chip. The ride is reasonably good. However, I talked to the guys from QA1 at the show and they gave me their recommendation for shocks based on the suspension mods I've made. I'll probably look into a set this summer. Lots of other things to address first. I rigged up a wire direct from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid so I don't have to pop the hood to crank the engine. It's still hard to start. Seems like it cranks for a long time without starting, but if you pause and try again, it fires right up on the second try.

Found out how much fuel it takes to fill the Boyd tank... 17.2 gallons. We'd filled up last in Waco and I'd been meaning to refuel here in Houston, but never did, so I was cruising down the street with one of my buds yesterday and it shut off with no warning. Was able to coast to a side street and use the emergency two gallon jug I keep in the back to get going again. Went directly to the nearest gas station and filled up. We've been recording the miles and filling up every 200 miles or so, but with all the visiting with friends and family it slipped my mind.

Few more show photos below...
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2018, 08:18 AM   #2492
Vic1947

We made it back to KC, but not under our own power. About 10 miles north of Nacogdoches, TX CRLS nosed over and quit running. We were able to coast onto a little side road and call a tow truck. The check engine light was on and I could start it momentarily, but it blubbered and gagged and wouldn't stay running. The driver took us to the Chevy dealer in Nacogdoches but they refused to work on it... said they wouldn't be able to read the codes. I reckon they just didn't want to mess with it. They did suggest another place in town, so the driver took us there and dropped us off. They were able to scan the codes and identify the problem as the fuel pump. Since the bed has to come off to access the fuel tank, we decided to rent a U-Haul truck and trailer and tow it home. We revised our vacation plans and transferred all our stuff to the car and will fix Crusty when we get back. There are several other problems I need to address as well. The PS pump pulley is slightly out of alignment causing a bit of belt noise, the neutral safety switch is on the fritz and we used a quart of oil in the first 1500 miles. I think the Elite Engineering catch can system for the PCV is working a bit too well. I'll get it all sorted.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2018, 08:51 AM   #2493
sduckworth13

Dang that sucks. Glad that you go home safe.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:34 AM   #2494
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I'm sorry to hear this.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:31 PM   #2495
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
Dang that sucks. Glad that you go home safe.
Yep, it sure does, but the silver lining is that we were able to check in on Pops while we were home plus the car will be much more spacious for the remainder of the trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
I'm sorry to hear this.
Thanks, Dale. New build bugs are inevitable it seems like... at least for me. This gives me something to look forward to for when we get home.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:41 PM   #2496
rustytruck50

Sorry to hear how the trip ended, but the first part looked pretty good! It's frustrating, but I'm sure you'll get it ironed out real soon.

'05 RCSB Sierra 2WD
'71 Sierra 2WD Longbed
'98 Silverado K1500 Xcab...sold
'72 Highlander"Raymond"...sold
rustytruck50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:42 PM   #2497
builtbyKane

Was it the Boyd in tank pump?
builtbyKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:41 AM   #2498
Ramjet51

Vic,
What a disappoin that I didn’t catch you at the C10 nationals, I’ve been a follower and have so many of your post listed in notes for reference. I really appreciate how much info you share and the quality of the build, although what you’ve gone through is a big PITA, you’ll come out stellar....great build.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:18 PM   #2499
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytruck50 View Post
Sorry to hear how the trip ended, but the first part looked pretty good! It's frustrating, but I'm sure you'll get it ironed out real soon.
Thanks! While we've been on the road, I've been making a list in my head of what needs to be done. Nothing like a shakedown run to build up the list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by builtbyKane View Post
Was it the Boyd in tank pump?
Not exactly. Full disclosure... I looked at the $350 Aeromotive Stealth 340 pump that's an option for the tank and took a pass. Instead, ordered that exact pump online for about half the price and made my own in tank clone of the Boyd unit.

However, I'm not convinced the pump has failed. When I got home, I had to use the come along to winch the truck over the stops on the trailer. When it got on level ground, it would start just briefly, gag and sputter till it died. It might move a few feet under its own power before croaking. We live on a slight hill and once I got 'er moving, I coasted all the way around to the workshop at the back of the house. Slammed on the brakes, pushed it back to get lined up good and then figured it would take 20 tries to get it up the slight incline into the shop. To my surprise, it fired and ran well enough to make it all the way in the shop on the first try. So now I'm thinking I may have crap in the tank. Two times on the trip I filled up with mid-grade fuel instead of premium and both times the truck heaved a fit. The first time it developed the hard to start problem and the last time was about 30 miles before it died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjet51 View Post
Vic,
What a disappointment that I didn’t catch you at the C10 nationals, I’ve been a follower and have so many of your post listed in notes for reference. I really appreciate how much info you share and the quality of the build, although what you’ve gone through is a big PITA, you’ll come out stellar....great build.
Dang! I met several forum members there, but I did walk around a couple of times, plus I hung out for a while at the vendor midway... which ended up costing me a few hundred bucks. Finally meeting my virtual friends in person is one of the best things about these shows. With any luck we'll get another chance.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:20 AM   #2500
Low Elco

Aw, Maaaannnn..... Glad everyone's home safe. Enjoy your trip!