The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2015, 01:12 AM   #1
Tbdavis

Gauge needles not working properly

Recently painted all the gauge needles in my '84 c10. Slipped paper behind them one at a time to protect the gauge face which seemed to work fine. In the process a few of the needles were bouncing around while positioning the paper and now aren't working properly. They work but the needles aren't positioned where they were originally. Not sure if they merely need to be re calibrated and if so not real sure how to go about that. Again, the gauges are working but the needles aren't positioned as before. Any suggestions as to how to go about correcting the problem would be appreciated.
Tbdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:22 AM   #2
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: Gauge needles not working properly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbdavis View Post
Recently painted all the gauge needles in my '84 c10. Slipped paper behind them one at a time to protect the gauge face which seemed to work fine. In the process a few of the needles were bouncing around while positioning the paper and now aren't working properly. They work but the needles aren't positioned where they were originally. Not sure if they merely need to be re calibrated and if so not real sure how to go about that. Again, the gauges are working but the needles aren't positioned as before. Any suggestions as to how to go about correcting the problem would be appreciated.
Let me try and understand. You pulled the cluster from the dash, removed the lens, placed paper around the needles to protect the faces and painted all of the needle and then removed the paper and assembled everything as it was and now the needles are not in the same position?

Have you actually powered up the cluster? It is normal for the needles to move back and forth a little and they should go back to there original position.

For example, if you have a half tank of gas and you pull the cluster apart, paint the needle and it moves down to 1/4 tank, the minute you install the cluster and turn the ignition on, the needle should move back to 1/2 tank.

Unless the needles are loose on the shaft or they were forced, they should go back to there original position.

Make sure you have a good ground to the cluster harness. Do all of the gauges read incorrectly?

Hope this helps,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:32 AM   #3
Tbdavis

All I did was remove the lense, slip the paper behind the needles (thin paper) and paint. The ones not working properly are oil pressure and fuel. Oil pressure was running about 30 before painting and now is maybe 40 or so. Moves a Lille but not much and never zeros out.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:40 AM   #4
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbdavis View Post
All I did was remove the lense, slip the paper behind the needles (thin paper) and paint. The ones not working properly are oil pressure and fuel. Oil pressure was running about 30 before painting and now is maybe 40 or so. Moves a Lille but not much and never zeros out.
What is the position of the fuel gauge now?

The oil pressure would increase by 10 psi easy from a cold engine to a warm one. The fact that it does not return to zero with the key off, makes me think you are having a issue with the ground. If you can reach up behind the cluster and wiggle the connector and see if that changes anything.

Also wondering if the needles got spun around in a circle (360 degrees ) more than once or twice? They do not like that and it can cause damage.

Keep me posted.
Take care,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:52 AM   #5
Tbdavis

Hey Tom, all I did was remove the lense (left the cluster connected), slipped the paper behind each needle and painted them. The ones not displaying correctly are oil pressure and fuel. The oil pressure is not returning to zero (seems like it did before) and the fuel is pegged at full (maybe 3/4 tank actual). When I shut the truck off the fuel actually reads correctly but pegs to full when I start it. Wondering if maybe I didn't just move them on the shaft while painting. They definitely bounced around a good bit when the paper touched them. Thanks
Old 03-26-2015, 02:07 AM   #6
Tbdavis

They bounced around some but definitely no 360s. Is it possible to merely remove the needles and slip them back on in the positions they likely should be in? Could I have just moved them on the shaft during painting? I haven't touched anything else on the cluster. In hindsight i should have noted the needle positions before I messed with them. Hey, if nothing else they sure look good!
Old 03-29-2015, 06:50 PM   #7
MagmaJct

Thought for a second I might be able to help you out. I then realized your question was about an `84.

The C10 and the Super Beetle run, the Fastback is just not there yet!

Please visit my Super Beetle and Fastback profile on TheSamba.
MagmaJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:10 PM   #8
Tbdavis

Hey - appreciate the thought nonetheless. Haven't messed with for fear of messing them up worse and figure I've got bigger fish to fry with this ole dude. Love my truck!!
Old 03-29-2015, 09:01 PM   #9
70LonghornCST

I moved this over to the correct area for you. Good luck on your troubleshooting. Hopefully, here, someone with a similar experience with a cluster like your will chime in and offer some insight.
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build