The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
PNWchevrolet

Question 1987 Chevrolet K5 Blazer (Help me with differences with other yrs. n find mech. in WA

Hi everyone. I posted another thread about the paint on this Blazer. I have decided I am just going to keep it patina and put some 3M polishing compound to it. I think the gun metal grey with the bare metal look will look good all waxed up and polished with the top off for some summer fun.

I now however have a starting issue. It ran great! At low speed under low acceleration, but then when I would get on gas it started to stumble and not continue to rev higher as I knew it could and should.

Then, a day or so later, it just would not start.

I got some new starting terminal thing from NAPA for 29 bucks or so and tried to fit that on with the mechanic at Firestone but it still would not turn over. He said if it did, it might just still blow out again anyway.

So, there it sits with a 1075 dollar estimate and waiting on parts. I'm going to go forward in good faith with Firestone but I thought I'd reach out to the guys on here and see if they know a good mechanic in the area (which is lynnwood/everett washington area) as 1075 dollars is a one time investment that I had to make since it is my primary vehicle (new to me) and I don't know anyone that can do quality work at blue collar rates.

I'm also really interested in differences in the 87' with other years of the same truck. Does anything make this year particularly interesting?

BTW - That bucket on the left is a '69 C10 with a new 350/350 combo for track street use. I've got a new suspension (shocks, springs, drop spindles, track bar, sway bar, disc brakes and some nice convo pro drag wheels to go on it as soon as I find the time, experience, expertise, energy to do it. Both are my daily drivers but the C10 I can't drive with the kids safely in my humble opinion. It runs okay but it needs the new mainifold and carb I got for it installed and a tune up.

I'm broke, pretty much after the tag from Firestone but will again be saving up as the Blazer I want to be a quality daily and the C10 is but a dream with some hope and parts purchased in better days.

So, low on budget, looking for good mechanic with experience and a good rate to help me with these projects.

Thanks in advance. Lots of life in these old trucks!

John
Attached Images

PNWchevrolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:44 PM   #2
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Re: 1987 Chevrolet K5 Blazer (Help me with differences with other yrs. n find mech. i

PNWchevrolet, I'm going to move this to the 73-87 pickup area since it has much higher traffic, your issues are not body-type related, and also because we have several long-time members in WA, so maybe someone knows someone in your area that can fix it cheaper than Firestone.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
PNWchevrolet

Re: 1987 Chevrolet K5 Blazer (Help me with differences with other yrs. n find mech. i

Thanks Bruiser. I appreciate you finding this and hope every one in the pickup area appreciates the posting.
PNWchevrolet is offline   Reply With Quote