The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2017, 08:35 PM   #1
Galdo76

Steering Column ID and Neutral Safety Switch

I bought this 67 C10 a little over a year ago and quickly noticed the reverse lights didn't work. After looking under the column, the neutral safety switch was dangling under the dash. It was the wrong switch and I'd really like to get the right one on. Does anyone know what this column is from or pass on some help to get this column identified?

Last edited by Galdo76; 04-18-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Galdo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:55 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Steering Column ID and Neutral Safety Switch

pics?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:02 AM   #3
Galdo76

I guess that would help..

The pic with the black steering wheel is how I originally bought it but I don't think that wheel came with that column. The wheel looks like it's off of an early 90s Chevy and I don't recall columns looking like that then.
Attached Images

Last edited by Galdo76; 04-19-2017 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:49 PM   #4
FirstOwner69

The black steering wheel is from a late '80s to '94 Chevy truck, Blazer or van. The column appears to be a correct tilt for our trucks. The vans through '79 or '80 used a very similar tilt column but the gear indicator lens and flasher knob were different from those in your pictures. If you post a picture of the end of the column we can verify since the shafts on the van columns were longer.

Here's a picture of (from top to bottom) the RV, truck and van columns that were the same except for minor differences. In addition to the differences already mentioned above, the van column had a longer shaft and neutral safety switch location and the RV column had a different "lever" for the auto trans linkage as well as a different location for the neutral safety switch. I believe the neutral safety switches themselves were also different as to the orientation of the electrical "prong" orientation.

So, you apparently want a neutral safety switch for a 67-72 truck. Based om my original '69, I believe they were the same for tilt and non-tilt truck columns .

Jim
Attached Images

FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:33 PM   #5
Galdo76

Here are a couple pics of the column shaft. I was under the impression it was from a different vehicle but if it's not, it should be any easy fix but tpo answer you question, yes, I'm trying to figure out the column so I know what neutral safety switch to buy...Thanks for the help.
Attached Images