The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
Rockstargraphics

Resurrecting an ole beast 1986 GMC Wrangler

Hello everyone this is my first post on this forum and will not be the last. I skipped introductions because I want to share this with everyone.

I bought this truck when I was 16 years old and did everything to it. It is a 1986 GMC Wrangler I am the Second owner of this truck I bought off an old Italian man who was a family friend. The day I bought the truck it was appraised at $15,500 here is a picture of the truck after I lowered it it came with the grill. previous owner made it.

She is all original paint and original motor and transmission, here are pictures from the day I bought it. This paint scheme was only on 3500 of these trucks I was told by a GM worker who actually help build it.

Original 350 nothing has been done to the motor. Bought it with 143,000km

Stock interior from factory with the complete Wrangler Interior Package (Brush aluminum inserts on the doors and dash and bezel, leather strap on door, with chrome clips and handles also with the fabric)
The Racing seat were taken out original bench was put back in.

This truck has never seen winter it was stored every year since the day he bought it, he hauled wood during the summer and then stored it.

I did alot of extra work to this truck which I will put into details in my next post.

Thanks for reading!
Posted via Mobile Device
Rockstargraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:30 AM   #2
Rockstargraphics

Re: Resurrecting an ole beast 1986 GMC Wrangler

I bought many things for this truck I started with a full Beltec static suspension which dropped my truck 4" all the way around I did Drop Spindles, Drop Shocks, Shackles, Coil Springs. It made the truck sit proper.

Then I started with the engine bay I used about 10L of Spray nine to get all the oil spray out of the engine bay which worked great their was just alot of it.

I bought the edlebrock Chrome Engine Dress up kit. Came with the Valve Covers, Breather and Oil Filter, also got the Chrome Oil Dip Stick, I bought Blue Vacuum lines, Breaded hose kits, I painted the front of the block black and did some blue paint in the front as well. I did a full Exhaust on the truck with Headmen headers going into Flowmaster series 40 out the back sides.

I forgot about the custom made fan Shroud that I bought from a buddy.

I will post more about what I did to this truck going more into the Audio portion of the build!!

Thanks for Reading
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2012, 01:32 AM   #3
Rockstargraphics

After I completed the engine to my standards I wanted a little extra audio. But I ended up going bigger then expected :S.

It all started by putting in a new deck and new Kenwood 3" Speakers in the dash but I blew those quick.

Deck: JVC KDR900

(I never had a picture of it)

So after the deck went in I wanted to have more Boom Boom So I installed four 6" Subwoofers behind my seat along with two 8" Mids with two tweeters. (Tight Squezze)

Here are pictures of the build. Made with Russian Birch Plywood!

Also forgot about my Clarion 4 channel amp which did wonders for awhile.

Here is a picture right before I started to add more. I also Switched out the 6" woofers with four more that are alot different and more powerful.

Thats all for now next post will be about my 21" Subwoofer Build....Yes 21" 5000watts!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2012, 05:42 AM   #4
85sierraclassic

sounds like your stereo build should be fun, im working on my setup now
Old 11-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
Rockstargraphics

Some people might think this next thing I'm going to post is ethier stupid or awesome. But I wanted to be different. So I wanted to put Subwoofers in the back of the box of my truck. So we took measurements and designed a sub box to fit betweend the box wall and the wheel well. So here are the pictures of the build. As it kept changing...

(Legacy and a Quantum Audio both 4000 watts and both garbage, They both blew)

Here is a picture of the final product before the port was finished But this changed pretty quick after we put the ports in I wanted to go louder so we added 4 other batteries and another 21" Subwoofer.

I rather not post pictures of the build from going from one sub to two but here is a couple of pictures of finished product!

(This is a picture of the amp I used for my new setup AUTOTEK MX5000)

Minus the two subwoofers on top this is what I was going to add to my setup in the back of the box before something happened that would change it all.... :`(

My next post will explain everything that happened and the reason I stopped this build for a year and a half.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
Rockstargraphics

Summer of 2011 I was in a car accident on the HWY 401 in Toronto, Canada the car infront of me was cut off, he slammed on his brakes I slammed on mine. I started to vear and spin through all 4 lanes of the 401 going 120kmh and was hit on the back passenger side of my box the Jeep Liberty was instantly written off and he managed to bend and twist my frame and snapped my transmission bracket and the box was destroyed the floor buckled in the middle here is some pictures of the aftermath (After I took it out of storage a year and a half later.

I would of kept it on hold until I got the oppratunity to rent a 2 car garage space for very cheap. So I got the truck flat bedded to the trucks new home.

So here is where the truck sits!

Due to my excitement I quickly went for a timmies run and got to work.

Due to the box buckling in the middle I had to grind the bolts out from underneath and on top. I grabbed the one good trail light and tunnel cover rails and then scrapped the box. Which is sad because it was original paint.

So this is where she stands I have a link to a new rolling chassis will post details later.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
Rockstargraphics

Sucks I'm getting no feedback from members
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
Zebb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstargraphics View Post
Sucks I'm getting no feedback from members
Be patient grasshopper. The more involved you get the more feedback that will come.

What are you going to do about the bent frame? Can it be straightened or will it need to be replaced?
Zebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
Rockstargraphics

I'm patient no worries. And I thought the frame could be straightened but I count out the transmission bracket is snapped and from the gas tank back on the drivers side it is pushed in and twisted. And the bracket near the license plate is also snapped will post pictures later of all the frame damage. I am in search for a new frame I think I found something just have to wait And see. The frame is from a 3/4 ton reg cab long box. Might do a full resto
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
Zebb

Quote:
Might do a full resto
Usually works that way when you are staring at a bare frame.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
Rockstargraphics

ya ya I will post the info and pictures of the frame in a hour ingot confirmation I can get it! So excited!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #12
Rockstargraphics

Well everyone here is an update which is going to be a rather big one. We left off I took the box off well that already went to scrap and I only got $65 for it which sucked but I can't expect much, I started to work on the front clip took off the Bonnet, Fenders, Inner Fenders, front grill, lights, and rad support is hanging on by 3 bolts. I drained the rad and motor, about to work on the transmission cooler here are some pictures of my progress.

I have some big news I found my new rolling chassic, its a 1987 GMC 2500 Reg Cab Long Box and its in perfect shape with a 350 and a 700R Transmission full exhaust and suspension everything but the body panels here are some pictures I get it in two weeks just have to clear space.

ITS STILL BLACK!!

She is from Arizona and is rust free and a 8 lug which means the conversion is being done.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2012, 03:20 AM   #13
Rockstargraphics

Well I went to the garage last night and did a little work. I drained the rad, Transmission Cooler, Moved the rad, and disconnected the charcoal canister, Disconnected all the harnesses that are connected to the cab from the engine bay so lifting the cab will be easier. I would of took the Rad Support off last night but didn't have the right socket so it was a no go. Here are some pictures of the progress.

Will be taking the cab off very soon just need to make a little room for it then she will be coming right off. Then will wait for the new frame to come in so we can do the motor and transmission swap then we are good to go. Just waiting for time to go buy before we get everything.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #14
Rockstargraphics

Hello everyone here is a big update and probably will be a little picture crazy but everyone loves pictures. I did a 12 hour day on the truck last night and this is where I am now.
I took off the rad support which is in great shape not a spec of rust

I drained all the brake lines, droped the rear end and put the frame on jack stands, then continued by taking off the exhaust header back. Which will go on the new truck. and I finally dropped the gas tank which had half a tank of Ultra 94 in it which i'll be using in the new setup since it already has stabilizer in it.
The rear end will go up for sale since its in amazing condition! $$ The lowering kit in the back is almost off and will also go up for sale.

THIS COMES OFF NEXT WEEK!!

The new rolling chassic comes Wednesday or Thursday haven't decided yet but I can't wait Very excited everything is happening so fast and im loving every second of it!

Thanks for reading
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2012, 11:57 PM   #15
budget78gmc

good work man. Posts from members will come more and more. mine started slow , then picked up once i started with the changes. Should check my build out.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=440536
budget78gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:43 AM   #16
Rockstargraphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by budget78gmc View Post
good work man. Posts from members will come more and more. mine started slow , then picked up once i started with the changes. Should check my build out.
Alot more got done to tonight will post update soon!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #17
Rockstargraphics

Went to the garage last night and stayed till 2am which was a good haul. I took the front wheels off and put her on jack stands, then I went to where the cab mounts are and put jacks stands there you are probably wondering why I did you will see in a moment. I have limited space and the cab has to come off somehow and be put somewhere. So here is a before and after picture.

Before

After

I did this so I could take the cab off and lay it behind the "Truck" I have 3" MDF two huge sheets that will be going on the ground so the cab can sit on. It should be safe their we will see. The frame is being flat bedded over tomorrow night which i'm very happy about. Then the true build starts

After the frame was chopped off we took the rest of the suspension off of the frame and then chopped it all up for scrap. We swept the shop which was well needed and installed acouple more light getting ready for the fun stuff to start.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #18
Rockstargraphics

I am saying sorry in advanced for the ****ty pictures! I got the frame last night So here are some pictures of the frame that I have my iphone died so they are ****ty pictures from my blackberry.

We started to clean the shop to prepare and FINALLY hooked up a stereo so I have some music finally. We put 3" MDF behind the truck so the cab has something to sit on. we stored the Rad Support and Exhaust just need to get from for the cab to come off and the engine to come out.

Thanks for the feed back!
Old 11-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #19
Zebb

With a fully loaded cab (doors, glass, interior, and firewall stuff) it is going to be heavy. Be careful of your backs and splurge on the beer to entice more help lifting it. It would be a shame to drop it too.

If you have any body work to do to the cab you should consider making something on wheels to move it around.

I modified an old warehouse cart to move mine around and used it to paint it also.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #20
Rockstargraphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebb View Post
With a fully loaded cab (doors, glass, interior, and firewall stuff) it is going to be heavy. Be careful of your backs and splurge on the beer to entice more help lifting it. It would be a shame to drop it too.

If you have any body work to do to the cab you should consider making something on wheels to move it around.

I modified an old warehouse cart to move mine around and used it to paint it also.

I'm going to be very careful moving it. Have 5 solid guys to move it its just when we do. Might be moved tonight finally getting a heat source hooked up tonight been doing it with just Insolated coveralls. Good thing I live in Canada and I'm use to it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-30-2012, 02:34 AM   #21
Gordonr1973
Home Built '87

Nice work so far.

Zebb's right, cabs are very front heavy.

Be prepared to pull the doors and seat to make it easier to lift. They are easy to pull and take alot of weight off your helpers backs!

Truck is coming along nicely though....sucks about the accident.

1998 White Chev ext cab 2WD (Summer Project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408424
1987 Chev Silverado SWB (Winter Project Rebuild) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424833
Truck Club http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466969
Gordonr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #22
Rockstargraphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordonr1973 View Post
Nice work so far.

Zebb's right, cabs are very front heavy.

Be prepared to pull the doors and seat to make it easier to lift. They are easy to pull and take alot of weight off your helpers backs!

Truck is coming along nicely though....sucks about the accident.
Doors will come off, never thought of the bench seat tho.. Thanks

Ya the accident ripped me apart I went and built a cavi after the accident to take my mind off it.

Won 8 trophies last year.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #23
Rockstargraphics

Well here is a small update everyone I set up my work bench and new tool box, I hooked up the camera system as I await a good night to take off the cab I decided to clean my gas tank which proves that it's never seen winter.

The plan is to gravel guard the top and wet sand and polish the bottom and clear coat it so when I put mirrors under it will shine.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #24
shoob

nice work thus far.....wish i had the funds to do a frame off, im without a shop right now though.....
shoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #25
Rockstargraphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoob View Post
nice work thus far.....wish i had the funds to do a frame off, im without a shop right now though.....
Ya it's a little pricy but worth it!
Posted via Mobile Device