The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2019, 05:39 PM   #1
mike.v
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Elkhart
Posts: 6
'54 front tire/wheel situation

I just bought a '54 GMC step side short box sitting a '69 C10 frame. As you can see in the picture, the front wheels sit almost flush with the outside edge of the front fender. The wheels are 15" x 6" with a 2 3/4" setback from the outside edge of the rim to the mounting surface of the lug nuts. I would like to put taller tires on that would stick up into the wheel wheels. I see 2 possible solutions. Have wheels made with more offset to the inside (probably an additional 2", which I don't know if that's doable or not. That would mean a wheel with only about 3/4" offset to the outside. The other would be to get some shorter A arms that would pull the wheel in (see pic). It looks like (if they are available) I could move in about 2". Anyone have any suggestions on these ideas or some other option?
Attached Images
  
mike.v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:06 AM   #2
mr48chev
Registered User
 
mr48chev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toppenish, WA
Posts: 11,302
Re: '54 front tire/wheel situation

That just flat goes with the territory when you swap a 69 or later chassis under an AD truck. They are too wide to run anything except wheels with a lot of backspacing. That has been discussed on the net time and time again when guys think they are going to go cheap with one of those chassis.
__________________
Founding member of the too many projects, too little time and money club.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:56 AM   #3
MiraclePieCo
Registered User
 
MiraclePieCo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 1,486
Re: '54 front tire/wheel situation

1) Cut out that suspension and install an aftermarket Mustang II?

2) Widen your fenders? I saw a truck for sale on CL that had added a 4" strip of metal down the center of front and rear fenders. It actually looked great.

3) Sell that truck and buy another that's set up the way you want?
__________________
1951 Chevy Panel Truck
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:43 AM   #4
mike.v
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Elkhart
Posts: 6
Re: '54 front tire/wheel situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
That just flat goes with the territory when you swap a 69 or later chassis under an AD truck. They are too wide to run anything except wheels with a lot of backspacing. That has been discussed on the net time and time again when guys think they are going to go cheap with one of those chassis.
So what is the issue with using wheels with more backspacing? Are they not available? Other than the width of the frontend, it seems to be a great setup. And why do you say "go cheap with one of those chassis"? Just trying to gather info on what I bought - I like what I have, just trying to make some improvements is all.
mike.v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:27 AM   #5
mike.v
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Elkhart
Posts: 6
Re: '54 front tire/wheel situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
1) Cut out that suspension and install an aftermarket Mustang II?

2) Widen your fenders? I saw a truck for sale on CL that had added a 4" strip of metal down the center of front and rear fenders. It actually looked great.

3) Sell that truck and buy another that's set up the way you want?
I really don't want to go to the cost and effort of the Mustang swap, and although I have also seen some widened fenders, I really like my patina the way it is so widening the fenders isn't an option either. I love the truck and the guy that did it, did a really nice job. It's put together the right way - other than the width of that front end which isn't a show stopper. I just want a little different look is all. I figured the offset rims would be an easy fix and possibly the A arms. No experience with shorter A arms?
mike.v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:41 PM   #6
jweb
Senior Member
 
jweb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Salem,OR
Posts: 679
Re: '54 front tire/wheel situation

1 - If you have fab skills you could cut and narrow the stock A arms, I'm sure there is some info on this in the 67-72 section of this forum.

2 - You can buy narrow A arms from Porterbuilt, Choppin Block or other vendors, I think they're around $1000.

3 - Depending on the style of wheel you want I would think you could find some with a high offset if you don't mind the look.
__________________
1951 Truck, LS1/4L60
2014 CCSB daily driver
2018 Tahoe, wife's daily driver
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, restored
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:16 PM   #7
mike.v
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Elkhart
Posts: 6
Re: '54 front tire/wheel situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb View Post
1 - If you have fab skills you could cut and narrow the stock A arms, I'm sure there is some info on this in the 67-72 section of this forum.

2 - You can buy narrow A arms from Porterbuilt, Choppin Block or other vendors, I think they're around $1000.

3 - Depending on the style of wheel you want I would think you could find some with a high offset if you don't mind the look.
Thank you for the info. I will look into the A arms and am working with Detroit Steel Wheel on custom building what I need. I ran across their company on an internet search.
mike.v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:26 PM   #8
_Ogre
Senior Member
 
_Ogre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Motown
Posts: 6,628
Re: '54 front tire/wheel situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.v View Post
So what is the issue with using wheels with more backspacing?
more backspacing typically start hitting things like the tie rod ends or A arms when turning
__________________
cool, an ogre smiley Ogre's 58 Truk build

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:14 PM   #9
mike.v
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Elkhart
Posts: 6
Re: '54 front tire/wheel situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
more backspacing typically start hitting things like the tie rod ends or A arms when turning
I think I can mock up a wheel using wood and cardboard that I could bolt on and turn each way to see how close it gets to other items. It looks like I will need to go to 18" or possibly 20" wheels to clear the upper ball joint. Anyone else have any suggestions on how to figure out what will and what won't work? Fender clearance won't be an issue - there is a lot of room in there!
mike.v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:11 PM   #10
jweb
Senior Member
 
jweb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Salem,OR
Posts: 679
Re: '54 front tire/wheel situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.v View Post
I think I can mock up a wheel using wood and cardboard that I could bolt on and turn each way to see how close it gets to other items. It looks like I will need to go to 18" or possibly 20" wheels to clear the upper ball joint. Anyone else have any suggestions on how to figure out what will and what won't work? Fender clearance won't be an issue - there is a lot of room in there!
Not the cheapest, but here's a tool to measure everything
https://www.ifabspeed.com/product-page/wheel-tool-2

If you're going really low you may have an issue with your tire rubbing the inner fender at the rear.
__________________
1951 Truck, LS1/4L60
2014 CCSB daily driver
2018 Tahoe, wife's daily driver
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, restored
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:11 PM   #11
Second Series
Registered User
 
Second Series's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Tukwila Washington
Posts: 130
Re: '54 front tire/wheel situation

I'll be looking for rims when my project is nearing completion. I saw the Detroit Steel Wheel site, it does look custom. I'm interested in a stock look. I found the site for US Wheel, seems to have a lot of offerings, and stock hubcaps.
__________________
1947.2 1 ton Chevy Panel
1955.2 Chevy Suburban
1955.2 Chevy 6700 Bus/RV
1990 Chevy K1500
2001 Chevy Tracker ZR2
Second Series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:59 AM   #12
mike.v
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Elkhart
Posts: 6
Re: '54 front tire/wheel situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb View Post
Not the cheapest, but here's a tool to measure everything
https://www.ifabspeed.com/product-page/wheel-tool-2

If you're going really low you may have an issue with your tire rubbing the inner fender at the rear.
Wow that measuring device is pretty darn cool! Thanks for sharing that. That's one of those items where spending $110 could save you getting custom made wheels at $250 - $300 a piece that you find out don't fit.......

And I'm not going super low, just want the tops of the tires inside of the opening and maybe an inch or two up in the wheel well.
mike.v is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com