The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2020, 04:09 PM   #1
MidLifer

Ignition switch bug

I'm hoping that LockDoc or one of the other lock experts can help me with this one.

My battery was dying on a regular basis but I couldn't find a parasitic drain for the life of me. Then I realized that on one out of three times or so that I would shut the truck off and pull the key, the ignition switch would be in ACC instead of off. The key cylinder would only be cocked a few degrees to the left, not all the way into the ACC position. But it was the source of the current drain.

My question - is the fault with the switch or the lock cylinder?
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:43 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Ignition switch bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLifer View Post
I'm hoping that LockDoc or one of the other lock experts can help me with this one.

My battery was dying on a regular basis but I couldn't find a parasitic drain for the life of me. Then I realized that on one out of three times or so that I would shut the truck off and pull the key, the ignition switch would be in ACC instead of off. The key cylinder would only be cocked a few degrees to the left, not all the way into the ACC position. But it was the source of the current drain.

It is really hard to tell which it is without changing the lock cylinder, to see if that cures it. Is your key in bad shape? (worn)

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:38 PM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I'd try the lock cylinder first, since the key generally shouldn't pull out except in the "Off" position.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:38 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Ignition switch bug

Quote:

My Ramp truck 56 and 64 Impala both will let me pull the key out in ACC. I have got in the habit off turning it all the way left then back 1 notch.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:49 PM   #5
MidLifer

Thanks all - Leon, the key is rather new. I sent my locks to a list member a few years back to have them all rekeyed with one key.

I guess it's the cylinder then. I'll buy a new one and find a local locksmith to rekey it.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:07 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Thanks all - Leon, the key is rather new. I sent my locks to a list member a few years back to have them all rekeyed with one key.

I guess it's the cylinder then. I'll buy a new one and find a local locksmith to rekey it.

Be careful what you get. If you buy one made overseas he may not be able to re-key it. The tumblers are not interchangeable with GM stuff on some of them.

Also if the new lock cylinder does not have the same keyway as your other locks he won't be able to do it. What year is your truck and Is there a letter stamped into your key? If your truck is a '71 it should be the letter "A".

LockDoc

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 02-27-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:31 AM   #7
rpmerf

My truck does this. Learned real quick not to just turn and pull. Instead move it by the feel of the notch until it is straight up and down. I don't even think about it anymore.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:01 AM   #8
derotoreut
Roto Reuter thats the name...

I used to have a '67 GTO that would allow me to remove the key while the engine was still running. It never caused any battery drain in any way. I always thought that was kind of cool to be able to do that.

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt
1971 SWB Fleet C10 - Original SWB Arizona truck, new custom restoration project

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977
derotoreut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 05:30 PM   #9
MidLifer

Yep my key is an A. I was going to order the AC Delco part. It’s available on Rock and Amazon for about $10. I had looked it up for my year on Rock, would that part number have the A keyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Be careful what you get. If you buy one made overseas he may not be able to re-key it. The tumblers are not interchangeable with GM stuff on some of them.

Also if the new lock cylinder does not have the same keyway as your other locks he won't be able to do it. What year is your truck and Is there a letter stamped into your key? If your truck is a '71 it should be the letter "A".

LockDoc
Old 02-28-2020, 06:26 PM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Yep my key is an A. I was going to order the AC Delco part. It’s available on Rock and Amazon for about $10. I had looked it up for my year on Rock, would that part number have the A keyway?

No way to tell. I looked at a couple of them to see if I could see a letter designation on the key in the pictures and one of them on Rock had a "C" on it and one on Amazon had an "E" on it. It would be a crap shoot.

LockDoc

-
Old 02-29-2020, 01:47 PM   #11
MidLifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
No way to tell. I looked at a couple of them to see if I could see a letter designation on the key in the pictures and one of them on Rock had a "C" on it and one on Amazon had an "E" on it. It would be a crap shoot.

LockDoc
Maybe I’ll visit the local stealership and see if they can help. Would be worth a few bucks more to get the right thing.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:30 PM   #12
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Maybe I’ll visit the local stealership and see if they can help. Would be worth a few bucks more to get the right thing.

If you don't find anything let me know and I'll see what I can come up with. If nothing else maybe I can rebuild yours.

LockDoc

-