The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2019, 11:08 PM   #1
Rickysnickers

Shop material type

i may be moving sooner rather than later. The house we are looking at has some acreage and the wife has already said the shop is the first thing I can build. I just started looking and was looking at the steel buildings. Are these less expansive than stick framed shops and do they go up faster? For those that already have a shop, what insight can you give me? I already know I want to get the largest one I can afford to do. I know they are like safes, you outgrow them quickly. Oh and I should add that I will try to get a 2 post lift, so know that the concrete will need to be thicker. Knowing that, what height would you go with?

Thanks,
rick
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:01 PM   #2
Stormin08

Re: Shop material type

based on how much of the work YOU can do...i priced my 30x30 in all fashions...
Metal, Stick and cider block.... all were very close on materials.

i planned on doing most of the exterior labor, possibly having electrical subbed out.

in my region, the cider block was MY preference, having one in the past i noticed it stayed cooler in the hot months, since Southern Louisiana doesnt get very cold, that was my choice.
Stormin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:15 PM   #3
Dead Parrot

Termites, Fire, Storms, Earthquakes, etc. Pick your materials to defend against these and other threats. You have to decide which are the biggest threats on your land. Steel has the advantage of being both fire and bug proof.

Unless you are pouring a BIG slab, more concrete for a thicker floor doesn't cost much more then the standard 4~6 inches most contractors will quote. When I redid a 10x20 garage floor, the delivery charge was about as much as the concrete costs.

Include an area for a bathroom and sink. Beats greasy footprints in the house on the path to the bathroom. Might even include a parts washing sink.

Don't scrimp on the electrical service. Plasma cutter + compressor = a lot of power at one time.

If you have wired Internet, include a run to the building when you are trenching things in. Let you see those instructional videos/sites on the big screen while puzzling out something.

Might include an attached lean to/pole barn to allow projects in waiting to be out of rain and sun.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:28 AM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Mine is stick frame..did it all myself and saved a bunch of money..took alot of time though...I've got buddies with all steel and some with pole barn style....around here they can put up a 40x60 steel or pole in about 3 days of work over about a weeks time...concrete and all
If had to start over I would do all steel...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver

Last edited by mongocanfly; 09-01-2019 at 02:37 PM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:28 AM   #5
67C10Step

Mine is a 30x40 pole barn style. It was put up in three days (including concrete) by the builders team. Two 10' roll up doors and one personnel door on the long side. I did the electrical myself (with a bit of help) and finished the inside myself as well.

What would I do different if I could afford it?

- 10' apron out front with roof over it. Work on stuff in the shade but outside when possible.
- 8' or so overhang in the back or lean to off the side to park trailers, etc.
- 12' or taller sides and a lift inside. That's way out there but we can all dream.
67C10Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:47 PM   #6
Rickysnickers

Thank you all, or is that "thanks y'all?" Either way, I appreciate all the input. I think the best bet is a steel building here.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:34 PM   #7
nlped

I priced mine several ways and Metal was certainly the best bang for the buck.

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 02:36 PM   #8
mongocanfly
Post Whore

its yall.....

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:59 PM   #9
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
its yall.....
Old 09-09-2019, 11:43 AM   #10
Richardwa

I had a 36'x48' post frame built a couple years ago. I planned on a 2 post lift so I had the walls 14', with 12' wide doors and 6" concrete. Seems to work well except it is not big enough.
when first built, and 2nd pic is current
Attached Images

1972 Plymouth Roadrunner
1965 Buick Skylark GS
1972 Chevy El Camino
Richardwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:07 PM   #11
Rickysnickers

Very nice. So how big is the second building?
Old 09-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #12
67C10Step

Buildings eventually are never big enough. The attached photo is the "work bench" side of my shop and the item in the bottom of the photo is the pool table that I've had out there for years. I am ready to get rid of that thing because I need the floor space but my wife and kids still want to keep it.

Second shot is looking the other way and you can see the current status of my project truck. I'll spend this fall pulling the rear apart and painting everything so I can spend the winter putting it all back together. Then head to the front.

Whatever you choose go as big as you can afford/fit and enjoy the heck out of it!
Attached Images

67C10Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:40 AM   #13
Greasey Harley

Figure out how much space you need.
Then Double it.

...Then, add 50%
Greasey Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #14
PGSigns

Then double that number. They always seem to shrink over time. I priced my new one a lot of ways from stick to steel. I am putting up a 40X40 and 16 foot at the eaves steel building with a 16 foot shed roof on one side. It should be here first week of January. For size, clear span and insulation package I wanted putting up my own steel building came out the best option. The steel eliminated the termite and carpenter bee problems we have here. That was my concern with a pole barn. I shopped a lot of steel building suppliers and settled on Ironbuilt. I went and looked at one that was some what close to me and after looking at the building and talking to the guys that put it up I was sold.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:29 AM   #15
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
Then double that number. They always seem to shrink over time. I priced my new one a lot of ways from stick to steel. I am putting up a 40X40 and 16 foot at the eaves steel building with a 16 foot shed roof on one side. It should be here first week of January. For size, clear span and insulation package I wanted putting up my own steel building came out the best option. The steel eliminated the termite and carpenter bee problems we have here. That was my concern with a pole barn. I shopped a lot of steel building suppliers and settled on Ironbuilt. I went and looked at one that was some what close to me and after looking at the building and talking to the guys that put it up I was sold.
Jimmy
What made you decide on Ironbuilt?
Old 12-23-2019, 11:23 AM   #16
PGSigns

I bought a set of tractors tires for my Kubota and when I went to pick em up the guy had a 40X80 shop. I looked at the building and it was nice. I asked if he put it up and he said ye. He had shopped buildings for more than a year before settling on Iron built. He showed me around and we talked about fit and finish and he sad it went together with zero issues and anytime they had questions they company helped them out right away. The quality of the steel and the welding looked really good. So I gave them a call and went with them. It was nice to see a building from them and talk to someone who had one before buying. They have been really good so far in the process. I have all my engineering drawings and they got approved by the county with no issues. I got an email last week with the delivery date window and the building should be here the third week of January.
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
Old 12-23-2019, 01:12 PM   #17
Rickysnickers

Ok, thank you for that input. I appreciate it!!

Quote:
I bought a set of tractors tires for my Kubota and when I went to pick em up the guy had a 40X80 shop. I looked at the building and it was nice. I asked if he put it up and he said ye. He had shopped buildings for more than a year before settling on Iron built. He showed me around and we talked about fit and finish and he sad it went together with zero issues and anytime they had questions they company helped them out right away. The quality of the steel and the welding looked really good. So I gave them a call and went with them. It was nice to see a building from them and talk to someone who had one before buying. They have been really good so far in the process. I have all my engineering drawings and they got approved by the county with no issues. I got an email last week with the delivery date window and the building should be here the third week of January.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:37 PM   #18
Rickysnickers

Hey PG,

Any updates on your shop? I am still looking around at a manufacturer to go with for a steel building. I am leaning towards Iron Built based on some of your comments here.

thanks,
rick
Old 02-11-2020, 09:33 AM   #19
PGSigns

Concrete is done and steel is here. So far I have put all the sub assemblies together and all has fit well. Quality is good and seems well planned out. Just about ready to start standing up the steel. I need to get the pictures off my phone and start a thread. Pouring rain today so it may be a good day to do it.
Jimmy
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
Old 02-11-2020, 05:05 PM   #20
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Concrete is done and steel is here. So far I have put all the sub assemblies together and all has fit well. Quality is good and seems well planned out. Just about ready to start standing up the steel. I need to get the pictures off my phone and start a thread. Pouring rain today so it may be a good day to do it.
Jimmy
Thanks Jimmy! I saw the other thread you made and I'll watch there.