The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
Desert1957

Spare tire will not fit with dual exhaust / hitch???

Hey Guys,

I just installed a complete 2 1/4 Dynomax dual exhaust kit on my 83 C20 , thought while I was under there I would mount the spare. After 2 hours of adjusting the tailpipes still would not fit. tailpipes exit the sides like factory setup on the driver's side. The passenger's side is the same bend to the right. Appears like my reese hitch is not allowing the tire to slide back closer to the bumper.

The tire is a (235 85R 16) and was just laying in the bed when I purchased the truck. It does have the factory tire mount under the bed. I figured PO was too lazy to re install it. but maybe there is another issue.

Cant do a bed mounted spare because the Truck Camper is in the bed about 90% of the time. I personally hate the front mount spare idea.

Anyone have any ideas? I need my class IV hitch , so that has to stay.

Will post pics if you guys need more ideas.

Desert
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
Firebirdjones

Re: Spare tire will not fit with dual exhaust / hitch???

That seems to be the problem with the prebent kits for these pickups, nothing fits just right.

I run a 3" dual system on mine (custom bent since 3" isn't offered anywhere) with a 29" tall spare mounted and the class 4 hitch in place. It's snug but it all fits.

You may have to hit a muffler shop and tweak things, or if you have a torch and welder a little heating and bending might do the trick depending on how close things are.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote