The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2017, 01:09 PM   #1
Vegetta

Under dash A/C

Just about finished restoring a 1971 blazer with a softtopper Top. Does anyone know if the aftermarket under dash A/C systems would cool the Blazer enough. Also which system is the best. The LMC system looked good but I want the best cooling unit. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Mickey
Vegetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 01:44 PM   #2
hemi43

Re: Under dash A/C

Don't put A/C in. It will be a total waste of time and money. When I built my Blazer I installed a complete Old Air kit, and although it blows ice cold air, it does nothing to cool the truck. I also have the Softopper .
If you do want to go ahead and get A/C, use Vintage Air. I've installed a couple different brands, and Vintage has better quality components and worth the extra cost. IMHO, your money will be better spent somewhere else on the truck.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 01:59 PM   #3
lks dcvn

- did plenty of reading and heard the same response from many people in warmer climates than Ohio. It won't cool the truck enough to warrant the cost.

I will not be adding A/C to my blazers.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:22 PM   #4
Vegetta

Thanks, y'all just saved $1300.00. I thought that might be the case and it's pretty hot in S.C.
Vegetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:45 PM   #5
Lieferson

could always integrate A/C into your seats
1972 K5 3/4 ton PROJECT Sold
Lieferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #6
cleszkie

I live in southern California, and my Vintage Air does a great job of cooling my Blazer. However, I had to make several other modifications.

You cannot just install an A/C kit and expect it to work. Our Blazers are basically metal boxes that get heated up by the engine and exhaust, in addition to the sun. In order to give your A/C a fighting chance, you need to install insulation to keep the engine and exhaust heat from radiating up through the floor and through the firewall, and to keep the cooled air in. Take a look at any newer vehicle and you will see the massive amount of insulation used both for sound deadening and climate control. This is what I did:

1) Installed Fat Mat on entire interior surface of tub (floors and bedsides) and in doors.

2) installed heat shields between mufflers and floor pan (this made a huge difference).

3) Installed heat shield on under side of trans tunnel and on firewall in engine compartment (this also made a big difference).

4) Installed carpet over Fat Mat.

5) Replaced all top and door seals that did not make a good seal. Went with the press-on door seals that really work nicely. I adjusted the metal mounting rails on the door openings to make sure the seals had no gaps between the seal and door.

6) Made sure my kick panel vents closed all the way and that the seals were good. Vintage Air unit pulls interior air from right in front of passenger side vent. If it is pulling warm outside air that is leaking past the vent, it will compromise the cooling ability.

With all these things done, my Blazer cools down nicely in the SoCal heat.

Forgot to add that you need to make sure your existing cooling system is working well. If you are having issues with engine temps, adding a condenser plate in front of the radiator and expecting it to function well is not going to happen. I run dual electric fans with a shroud that covers my entire core, and a two row aluminum BeCool radiator.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:22 PM   #7
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
I live in southern California, and my Vintage Air does a great job of cooling my Blazer. However, I had to make several other modifications.

You cannot just install an A/C kit and expect it to work. Our Blazers are basically metal boxes that get heated up by the engine and exhaust, in addition to the sun. In order to give your A/C a fighting chance, you need to install insulation to keep the engine and exhaust heat from radiating up through the floor and through the firewall, and to keep the cooled air in. Take a look at any newer vehicle and you will see the massive amount of insulation used both for sound deadening and climate control. This is what I did:

1) Installed Fat Mat on entire interior surface of tub (floors and bedsides) and in doors.

2) installed heat shields between mufflers and floor pan (this made a huge difference).

3) Installed heat shield on under side of trans tunnel and on firewall in engine compartment (this also made a big difference).

4) Installed carpet over Fat Mat.

5) Replaced all top and door seals that did not make a good seal. Went with the press-on door seals that really work nicely. I adjusted the metal mounting rails on the door openings to make sure the seals had no gaps between the seal and door.

6) Made sure my kick panel vents closed all the way and that the seals were good. Vintage Air unit pulls interior air from right in front of passenger side vent. If it is pulling warm outside air that is leaking past the vent, it will compromise the cooling ability.

With all these things done, my Blazer cools down nicely in the SoCal heat.

Forgot to add that you need to make sure your existing cooling system is working well. If you are having issues with engine temps, adding a condenser plate in front of the radiator and expecting it to function well is not going to happen. I run dual electric fans with a shroud that covers my entire core, and a two row aluminum BeCool radiator.
The problem is the Softopper. It's like trying to cool a tent.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:29 PM   #8
cleszkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
The problem is the Softopper. It's like trying to cool a tent.
I would still strongly recommend insulating the Blazer to increase comfort levels, with or without A/C. Its amazing how much heat comes through the firewall and up through the floors. BTW, I can cool my Blazer down with my soft top on too because the A/C isn't fighting the engine's radiant heat.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:52 PM   #9
lks dcvn

Have any pictures of your floor set up Cleszkie? What heat shield did you end up going with?
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:33 PM   #10
GMC-YA68

Had a guy once tell me that they are only good if you are thirsty...because you can put cups under the vents and collect the condensation drips to drink during your commutes...

I will let him expose himself and not name him...lol

'72 Jimmy 4x4 - 5.3/4L65E/NP205 swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663780
GMC-YA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:55 PM   #11
hemi43

My floor including the firewall is Dynamated and have full carpets and I don't have headers, so there's not much heat coming up through the bottom of the truck. The problem is that as fast as the A/C is removing heat from the truck, the Softopper is putting it back in. The A/C does absolutely nothing, and I live in Canada.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:11 AM   #12
ochre1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by lks dcvn View Post
Have any pictures of your floor set up Cleszkie? What heat shield did you end up going with?
x2 Cleszkie on your engine and exhaust heat shield setup.
ochre1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:49 PM   #13
cleszkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ochre1971 View Post
x2 Cleszkie on your engine and exhaust heat shield setup.
I don't have any pictures handy. However, I can tell you that I used Kevlar reinforced, flexible heat mats for all of the underside heat shielding. Can't remember the maker, and it wasn't cheap. But it flat out works. Picked it up from a local speed shop.

I can also tell you from experience that when I just had Fat Mat and carpet on the floors of my Blazer, the area directly above the mufflers near the floor step-up would be hot to the touch inside the Blazer. With the heat shield, it isn't even warm. Same for the floor area near the gas pedal, which is very close to the drivers exhaust manifold. When driving barefoot, my heel would get slow roasted. Now, cool as the Fonz