The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2017, 01:25 PM   #1
chevy72blu

"cold air" intake... What type of IAT Temps are you seeing?

My truck has a '98 F Body LS1 (stock) and a short ram style intake with a conical filter. The intake is just about the upper radiator hose, behind the radiator. Certainly not the best location, but I figured it was no big deal.

Playing with my Torque Pro app (OBD2 bluetooth reader) I routinely see IAT at around 125* (about 50 degrees over ambient) while cruising and higher temps in stop and go. In the summer its well over 100* here, which will push the IAT to 150+. How much power am I really losing here? A "cold air intake" always struck me as a feel good modification (especially when replacing an engineered OEM air box on newer vehicles), but the high temps give me pause.

It would be pretty easy to use a flex coupler - extend the ram and drop the intake nearer to the driver side head light, but something tells me it wont make any noticable difference.

What types of setups are you running and what temps are you seeing? Any dyno or objective numbers?

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:16 PM   #2
racecougar

Re: "cold air" intake... What type of IAT Temps are you seeing?

50 degrees-F above ambient on a stock LS1 is worth ~15 bhp. Ditch the hot-air intake.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:19 PM   #3
68c10airstream

Along the lines of your so-called cold air intake a friend installed a so-called cold air intake on his duramax diesel and he said it was noticeably slower under load in hot summer temps. I found a stock layout duramax and found that they pull air from the inner fender for cool air but more importantly it being shielded from water intrusion (would destroy a diesel engine from hydraulic lock). His so-called cold air intake pulled under hood hot air into one of those crappy open element window screen oiled air filter. I bet the small debris his duramax engine is chewing on doesn't help longevity much!!

I have since looked at many aftermarket so-called cold air intake systems and hence my ls 68c10 doesn't breath through one of them.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:16 AM   #4
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68c10airstream View Post
Along the lines of your so-called cold air intake a friend installed a so-called cold air intake on his duramax diesel and he said it was noticeably slower under load in hot summer temps. I found a stock layout duramax and found that they pull air from the inner fender for cool air but more importantly it being shielded from water intrusion (would destroy a diesel engine from hydraulic lock). His so-called cold air intake pulled under hood hot air into one of those crappy open element window screen oiled air filter. I bet the small debris his duramax engine is chewing on doesn't help longevity much!!

I have since looked at many aftermarket so-called cold air intake systems and hence my ls 68c10 doesn't breath through one of them.
I came back from the GM Desert Proving Ground to design that air induction system for the GMT800 models. It is still in use.

I'm not a fan of the aftermarket systems.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #5
chevy72blu

Here a picture of the current set up

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:18 PM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Short rams aren't "cold air" intakes at all, but its become a catchall term for any aftermarket tube intake.

An actual cold air intake (which is a coined term) is run away from all sources of heat and places the intake filter in a sealed off area, usually outside of the engine bay, to intake cold/fresh air. These are usually in wheel wells, tucked behind valances or aero, or even on the outside of the vehicle itself (ie. a Jeep snorkel).

for a short ram or any intake within the engine bay, its best to at least segregate the filter from the engine bay, and have a source of outside air. Luckily, I can use this time to shamelessly post a video of myself considering this same problem.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:43 PM   #7
aruss99

Granted I live in oregon, but my IAT temps are around 15 degrees above ambient temperature and then rise to around 25 degrees above ambient temperature in traffic. My intake runs to the passenger side headlight area.
aruss99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:57 PM   #8
Liltroy

my intake temps were getting high as well so I built a cold air box and made this video series on it.enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...9NBCu4KtYSxYKR
Liltroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:44 PM   #9
solidaxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I came back from the GM Desert Proving Ground to design that air induction system for the GMT800 models. It is still in use.

I'm not a fan of the aftermarket systems.

K
So what do we do to adapt these old trucks to the LS intake and not have the hot engine air temps for intake air?
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:33 PM   #10
68c10airstream

I switched the battery to the other side, k+n intake (tube only) and the stock 2001 silverado air box with a dry AEM air filter. When i get a break from my house from hell i will put a hole through the radiator core support and make a air intake tube to go out to the grill opening and seal off the stock air box opening that went to the passenger side inner fender.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:33 AM   #11
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel View Post
So what do we do to adapt these old trucks to the LS intake and not have the hot engine air temps for intake air?
You've got to get to where the cool air is: either building a dam as was suggested here or getting out in front of the radiator support.

The good news is the benefits of the cooler air offset the increase in flow restriction for any ducting that you have to add.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote