The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2017, 08:28 PM   #1
Dustytrix

4l80e segment swap

I finally got 80e in and it seems to be working ok no leaks. Does anyone have a tune or can walk me thru the segment swap? Right now its working off 4l60e tune but I am only pulling it in and out of shop. I would like to be able to go around my block but don't want to hurt trans by running 60 tune in it.
Dustytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:00 PM   #2
Custom 68

Re: 4l80e segment swap

I assume you using some software. Maybe hp tuners. You will need to get the OS system number from your ecm. Then match that up with one that came with a 4l80. Once you find your ecm number let us know and we can look for a matching one. I got mine from hptuners site. Hope that helps with the new software its not that hard but you do need to match ecms.
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:16 PM   #3
Dustytrix

Thanks Custom 68, This is ecm service # 09354896.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:55 PM   #4
dayj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustytrix View Post
I finally got 80e in and it seems to be working ok no leaks. Does anyone have a tune or can walk me thru the segment swap? Right now its working off 4l60e tune but I am only pulling it in and out of shop. I would like to be able to go around my block but don't want to hurt trans by running 60 tune in it.
If you're using HP Tuners, it's not like the bad old days where you had to email your tune back to them for a segment swap. If you have an OS where a segment swap is possible, you just choose your transmission type from a drop down menu in the transmission settings of the tune.

And, you probably already know this, but there are some wiring changes that need to be made as a 4l60 harness isn't a direct plug-and-play for a 4l80.
dayj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:39 PM   #5
Dustytrix

Yeah I got the 2 wires deleted and swapped one. I have the older style hp tuner and know very little about it , but will see if I can find what you are talking about.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:48 AM   #6
crakarjax

Quote:
Yeah I got the 2 wires deleted and swapped one. I have the older style hp tuner and know very little about it , but will see if I can find what you are talking about.
I did a full segment, I'm not sure what selecting 4L80e does but the other parameters differed in the segment I swapped from so I just did the whole segment.

You can update HP Tuners for free so I'd go ahead and do that. Then, you can load a 'compare' file -- which you have to be licensed for I think -- and there will be a segment swap section then at the bottom of the same menu you loaded the compare file with. Then select the trans and trans diag segments, and hit swap -- very easy.

My license is for 2004 trucks, so I had to find a tune on the hp tuners website for a 2004 truck that had the 4L80 segment in it.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:27 PM   #7
Custom 68

do you know what year your engine and original PCM are from? i did a quick search and it is hard to find based on the os number.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Old 04-25-2017, 06:59 PM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Thats a 411 ECM. The 411's were early in the run (99-01/2 I think) and are setup a little differently. Is your reference file (the one your swapping FROM) also a 411?

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:50 PM   #9
Dustytrix

Engine is 5.3 2002 . The ecm is from f-body 2002. The ecm that came with engine was bad, coil drivers would not work. I don't have a reference file to get one from. That is what I am trying to locate. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:13 AM   #10
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Engine is 5.3 2002 . The ecm is from f-body 2002. The ecm that came with engine was bad, coil drivers would not work. I don't have a reference file to get one from. That is what I am trying to locate. Thanks.
If you have HPT, then I assume you have an account over on HPT's website.
If you don't, get one. Then login and locate the tune repository. You can find base flashes uploaded by the community. I would advise against ever actually flashing anything they put up, but use them as a parts bin/reference.

Here are links to a couple of 01 v8/4l80e/2wd trucks.
https://www.hptuners.com/customers/t...wnload&id=1355

https://www.hptuners.com/customers/t...wnload&id=1365

Old 04-26-2017, 08:39 PM   #11
Dustytrix

ok thanks BR I had been I had been signing in but unable to get to repository. Now I have to update my tuner. I will let u know if I can download. I tried no results. How do I update my software?

Last edited by Dustytrix; 04-26-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:02 PM   #12
Dustytrix

Ok finally got it upgraded. I can see your files BR but I dont see where it says its a 4l80e. And what do I need to do just write down all the trans stuff and type it in my tune?
Old 04-27-2017, 01:22 AM   #13
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Ok finally got it upgraded. I can see your files BR but I dont see where it says its a 4l80e. And what do I need to do just write down all the trans stuff and type it in my tune?
The description in the repository lists both as 4l80e trucks. If you look at the actual repository, it has descriptions. I just direct linked the files (they aren't my files).

Old 04-27-2017, 12:36 PM   #14
Custom 68

Quote:
No, the segment swap info can be found here https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...wapper-utility
you may need to setup an account like on here.
This one is different than just coping some of the items over. With the swap it will write the "hidden" code and make it all correct. Just follow the steps and make sure your 2 PCMs match up and it is really pretty simple. I did mine and haven't had a problem with it.
You will need credits to tune your original PCM which I assume you already have. You don't need one for the compare file.
good luck and keep us posted
Dave
Old 04-27-2017, 12:40 PM   #15
crakarjax

Quote:
With a segment swap, you just select the trans segments and hpt copies it all over for you. There might be other things that get copied like the actual software vs. just parameters, idk.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:01 PM   #16
Dustytrix

Thanks for trying to help guys. I had to upgrade my tuner to even read any files. Now it says I cant make changes to my files even though I have already licensed them. I sent hp tuners email and trying to get it fixed. Anyway how do I know if the files I look at on repository will work with my ecm if it doesnt show their ecm # ?
Old 04-27-2017, 10:38 PM   #17
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Tune Details -> Controllers -> Hardware i believe will show the ECM #'s

Old 04-29-2017, 09:31 AM   #18
Dustytrix

I finally got tuner working again, found the place to id the os # like BR was telling me. I tried segment swap last nite. Using directions from hp turners site. I dont know if it worked yet or not. I clicked trans, trans diag, and nothing changed that I could see when I clicked import. Maybe it imported I will plug tuner into truck later today and try it.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:37 PM   #19
Dustytrix

Finally got segment swap made, I was opening to many pages is the reason it wouldn't make the swap. I got my daughter to operate laptop, told her what I wanted to do. She had it swapped in about 5 mins start to finish. LOL I was at the right spot but didn't know which button to push. I tried it in truck and left 2 ruts in driveway, now I have 1st gear its been moving in 3rd or it felt like it.
Anyway thanks for all the info guys.
Randy