The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2017, 08:20 AM   #1
5 Driver

Front Suspension Identification - Help

I purchase this 68 C10 a little while back and am wanting to start my build. I am pretty sure that the front suspension has been changed out to a later version, but, what year?

Any advise would be appreciated. Should I build on this? Or, look into replacing it with something else?

Thanks,
(I can supply more pictures if needed)
Attached Images

5 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:33 PM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Front Suspension Identification - Help

The only way I know to narrow it down would be to check the date code on the spindle casting. Plus I believe there was a change in the lower control arm rubber bushings some time in the eighties.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:42 PM   #3
PGSigns

It looks like the a arms are stock pre 1973 as they have the screw in bushings. Couple of options on the front spindles. Could be 72, 73 to 87 or drop spindles that could be any of the above. Nothing wrong with what you have, it will just take a bit of looking to see what was swapped.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:10 AM   #4
5 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
The only way I know to narrow it down would be to check the date code on the spindle casting. Plus I believe there was a change in the lower control arm rubber bushings some time in the eighties.
Could this be the date code that you are referring to?
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2017, 10:14 AM   #5
5 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
It looks like the a arms are stock pre 1973 as they have the screw in bushings. Couple of options on the front spindles. Could be 72, 73 to 87 or drop spindles that could be any of the above. Nothing wrong with what you have, it will just take a bit of looking to see what was swapped.
Jimmy
Thanks,
These don't look as if they are drop spindles do they? (sorry...not sure how to rotate that...)
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2017, 11:20 AM   #6
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Driver View Post
Could this be the date code that you are referring to?
Yes it is. That would be for the rotor and hub. There should be a 3 or 4 digit one like it on the spindle. Here is a guide pasted from the interweb.

Whether you are hunting for original Chevrolet cast iron parts at a swap meet, wrecking yard, Ebay or Craig's List, it can be very helpful to understand the GM casting date codes. If you are trying to do a correct "numbers matching" restoration, this is a vital tool for you to use.

From the 1920's through the 1960's GM used a casting date system to identify the date when a part was made. A casting number is a raised number which is cast into the block, cylinder head, transmission case, differential housing and many other cast iron parts. Casting dates are a series of raised letter-number combinations.

In the example, "B 15 2", the first letter is the month (i.e.: A=January, B=February, etc.). The first number or numbers "15" are the day of the month, or February 15th. The last number is the last digit of the year. In this example, the "2" indicates 1932, 1942, 1952, etc. You must be able to identify the part within a 10-year range. You can also compare the part casting number (different than the casting date code) with those used for the suspected model year. Again, these are a raised number that is cast into the part. The part casting number will often be found in the Chevrolet Master Parts Books. Many Master Parts Books are available in print. They are also available digitally on CD and are easily searched electronically. Another helpful publication is the Casting Number Listing for 1929-1942. This booklet will help identify part numbers in the Chevrolet Master Parts Books that are not the same as the casting number on the part. It is a crossover list and very useful for these years.

The date code is a convenient way to quickly identify the year of manufacture. However, caution must be taken as factory replacement parts produced several years later, may have the correct casting part number, but an incorrect date code. Try to identify this example: "K 14 1". This is a little tricky. Remember that production on the new models would begin in September or October of the prior year. This code is November 14, 1931 (or 1941, 1951 etc.), which would be correct for a 1932 (1942, 1952, etc.) early production vehicle.

Casting numbers also indicate the part number of the cast iron part. An engine casting number of 835501 was used for both 1929 and 1930 engines. The only way to tell for sure what year the engine was made is to decode the date casting number. The combination of the casting number and the casting date are proof positive that you have that hard to find part that is really right for your old Chevy.

Those don't look like drop spindles to me.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 09-18-2017 at 11:23 AM. Reason: second question.
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:51 PM   #7
5 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Yes it is. That would be for the rotor and hub. There should be a 3 or 4 digit one like it on the spindle. Here is a guide pasted from the interweb.

Whether you are hunting for original Chevrolet cast iron parts at a swap meet, wrecking yard, Ebay or Craig's List, it can be very helpful to understand the GM casting date codes. If you are trying to do a correct "numbers matching" restoration, this is a vital tool for you to use.

From the 1920's through the 1960's GM used a casting date system to identify the date when a part was made. A casting number is a raised number which is cast into the block, cylinder head, transmission case, differential housing and many other cast iron parts. Casting dates are a series of raised letter-number combinations.

In the example, "B 15 2", the first letter is the month (i.e.: A=January, B=February, etc.). The first number or numbers "15" are the day of the month, or February 15th. The last number is the last digit of the year. In this example, the "2" indicates 1932, 1942, 1952, etc. You must be able to identify the part within a 10-year range. You can also compare the part casting number (different than the casting date code) with those used for the suspected model year. Again, these are a raised number that is cast into the part. The part casting number will often be found in the Chevrolet Master Parts Books. Many Master Parts Books are available in print. They are also available digitally on CD and are easily searched electronically. Another helpful publication is the Casting Number Listing for 1929-1942. This booklet will help identify part numbers in the Chevrolet Master Parts Books that are not the same as the casting number on the part. It is a crossover list and very useful for these years.

The date code is a convenient way to quickly identify the year of manufacture. However, caution must be taken as factory replacement parts produced several years later, may have the correct casting part number, but an incorrect date code. Try to identify this example: "K 14 1". This is a little tricky. Remember that production on the new models would begin in September or October of the prior year. This code is November 14, 1931 (or 1941, 1951 etc.), which would be correct for a 1932 (1942, 1952, etc.) early production vehicle.

Casting numbers also indicate the part number of the cast iron part. An engine casting number of 835501 was used for both 1929 and 1930 engines. The only way to tell for sure what year the engine was made is to decode the date casting number. The combination of the casting number and the casting date are proof positive that you have that hard to find part that is really right for your old Chevy.

Those don't look like drop spindles to me.
Thanks HO455. I will have to look closer to see if I can find those date codes. This truck has been sitting for a long time...I don't know wether to try and build on what is here (after figuring out what "it"
is of course) or, if I should just try and get a whole aftermarket set up.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #8
Ace70C10

In the pictures it looks as though the brackets for the brake lines are on the front of the crossmember plus it has control arm shafts as opposed to bushings which would indicate it is a 71-72. I just finished building the same front end for my 70 C10
Ace70C10 is offline   Reply With Quote