The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
trout

got a burb and need to fix some rust

i got a 88 burb and the bck wheel wells are rusted up preaty good but way fixable i was thinking of using a old bed side for the out side body rust how hard do you think that is to graft it in and im not sure what to do on the in side couse there not mny places like the truck that i can juts unbolt the rust and put in a replacment from the junk yard ideas?
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
mullit

Re: got a burb and need to fix some rust

there are replacement aftermarket quaters out there you can use
mullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
trout

thanks
Old 09-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
79 silverado
Account Suspended

With the rust I see there put your head up inside the wheelwells in back over the tires. Unlike a pickup the tub that forms the wheelwells is unfortunately made up 1/2 from a flare extending off the outer quarter panel, 1/2 from the flare on the inner quarter panel. Inside the truck there is then a tub that covers where the two panels meet that looks closer to a piece from inside a truck bed...

What you'll often find is that seam crumbles, starts allowing dirt debris and water to get thrown up by the tires inside the layers of the quarter, then accumulates in the bottoms behind the tire and inbetween the wheelwell and side doors, meanwhile the hole grows wider and wider. Might not be your issue at all, but I had two trucks that did that despite undercoating both at the dealer from GM and another with an add-on at the lot, both spent much time in the garage too...

Check that first before you start working on the rest so your work doesn't get undone if the source is still letting junk in...
79 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
trout

Yea I have rust there on both side I think I'm going to make patch panel on out side seal up the wheel well with fomyhing so debre font get into truck and finish war I got going on. It then off it goes to maybe done one eles thanks guys for the help
Posted via Mobile Device