The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2017, 02:50 PM   #1
gigamanx

UK to Ban Internal Combustion: What does it mean for us?

An article came out today discussing the UK's interest in banning internal combustion engines by 2040 in favor of all electric. Its something I've considered as I choose the power plant in my 49 with a good ole carbureted engine. At what point do we start considering an all electric conversion in a classic truck. The idea sends chills down my spine that someone, someday, would miss the sounds of an old track rambling along.

I've also thought about the move to automated driving vehicles in the next 10, 20, 30 years. Hopefully my classic plate will protect all this hard work many years from now so robots aren't driving my '49 for me.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/...D=ansmsnnews11

Anyone come across an all electric conversion?

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:55 PM   #2
vintovka

Re: UK to Ban Internal Combustion: What does it mean for us?

Only a dramatic break thru in battery technology would allow this to happen. The laws pf physics place are stacked against it. England is small but way to big to travel effectively on current battery technology. If youve never driven/ridden in a tesla at full acceleration your missing the thrill of your life. Unfortunately its a short range thrill. Speaking of short term I hear Tesla is doing poorly and needs govt bailouts.
vintovka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:04 PM   #3
Dan in Pasadena

I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet (or maybe it has!) but sooner or later someone will buy a wrecked Prius or Camry/Highlander Hybrid and do a chassis swap ala the S10's under the AD trucks.

I have no doubt it WILL be done eventually and if done right might look good. Not for me, but for someone.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:49 PM   #4
akdg87

im all for a a P85d swap in one of my rides, would be awesome.
2009 CTSV Sedan
akdg87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:49 PM   #5
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet (or maybe it has!) but sooner or later someone will buy a wrecked Prius or Camry/Highlander Hybrid and do a chassis swap ala the S10's under the AD trucks.

I have no doubt it WILL be done eventually and if done right might look good. Not for me, but for someone.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=743224

since I absolutely love modern efficiency crammed in an old truck, I think all this stuff is great. but its not going to mean much in our lifetimes. the "ban" will likely be on new production and only near city centers. now my youngest, my wife said she is starting a savings for her first car and I said there may not be a reason to do that.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:46 PM   #6
Jemezcrusher

Speaking of short term I hear Tesla is doing poorly and needs govt bailouts.

When do the hard working, tax paying, money saving, plan aheading people get a bail out?
Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:03 PM   #7
Dan in Pasadena

Joe, Thanks for the link. I used to have a '46 with Jag IFS and IRS under it. 350/350 and ran excellent. I drive a Highlander Hybrid company car every day so that thread this really has me curious. Can't wait to see the pictures. -Dan

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:11 PM   #8
G&R's57GMC

I've been following a couple of threads on AirForums.com

One thread is about towing a 22' Airstream with a Tesla model X . Here's a link
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-x-160951.html

Another thread is about When to go electric and as luck would have it's a lively thread .
Here's the link to it.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...le-169483.html

Enjoy the read .

I've dreamed about going electric with my classic cars and trucks for years.
Just think no fuel to go bad, no coolant to change, no need for oil and filter changes. No storage prep.
More then enough power to smoke the tires and blow away hot V8's all the while totally silent .

BTW my daily driver is a Kia Soul EV and it will blow off Mustang V6's and I have never had to put gas in it
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:23 PM   #9
WyattTX

How about instead of succumbing to oppressive government regulations, we find ways to stop such awful legislation from passing. Write letters, form lobby groups, dont stick your heads in the sand! I apoligize for getting on a soap box, but we have to stand up to these insane government ideas, if we want future generations to enjoy the things we enjoyed.
WyattTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:29 PM   #10
1project2many

I agree with the technology assesment. I considered building an all electric truck several years ago. Not a classic, but something like a 2wd Toyota or Nissan. With an expected range of 45 miles one way and a recharge period of about 10 hrs I would have had to fill the back of the truck with batteries. I also figured the truck would only be good for three seasons. The DC controller and motor were thousands of dollars. I found that a more practical solution was to get a diesel car with good fuel economy and make my own fuel to reduce what I purchased.

I don't believe the roads will become robot only zones. Humans will still want to be in control of some vehicles and will need to be in control of others. I do believe we may end up installing devices in our classics to broadcast basic information to the smart vehcles on the road. For the folks who enjoy driving the oldies I believe this will make life better. A robot doesn't care if it's behind or in front of an old car and has no need to cut you off to show you how upset it is.

This state has or had an electric S10. I was told they used it for travelling across the capital rather than going to other cities. I also heard that it needed more maintenance than they expected. I've tried getting a chance to see it but so far that hasn't happened.

GM's hybrid trucks use electric motors in the trans/flywheel. You can buy similar devices to retrofit into gasoline engine drivetrains. That's a practical approach and it could save some fuel.

As far as hearing the sound of an IC engine, it might seem strange but it could happen. Think about this: I was discussing what was happening at a construction site near my work when I realized that what we listen to today, with excavators, dozers, rollers, and other large diesel powered equipment is nothing like what people heard 100 years ago. Luckily we have youtube to help out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rmpgc4WVfY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aTFVvphkgM

Last edited by 1project2many; 07-26-2017 at 11:35 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:44 PM   #11
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

The EPA wouldn't let those steam shovels fire up today. All the black smoke!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:40 AM   #12
northern 49

I think hot rodding and electric vehicles can go hand in hand, just google zombie 222 mustang, its a 68 mustang that is a prime example. I also think that none of us will have to worry about making such a conversion to our classic trucks in our lifetime unless we feel so inclined to do so. As mentioned before battery technology still has a long way come before it is really practical.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:23 AM   #13
mr48chev

Even right now I think it is easier to find a parking spot with a charging station in Seattle than it is to find a gas station. On the other hand if you were to leave my house and take the route to Vegas though Boise turning south at Twin Falls and heading down though the middle of Nevada you would really have to study the charging station map to make sure you could charge your all electric rig and right now it may be more than impractical.

No doubt in the future we will see a lot more hybrid rigs and a lot more all electric rigs but the internal combustion rigs will still have a place for a long time to come. A lot of guys are going to be like Dan before long. An electric or hybrid commuter rig or family rig and a gas or diesel powered fun time rig.

Unless the powerball gods are really good to me I most likely will never own an electric car or truck. Main issue there is my age and the simple fact that I keep my rigs a long time on the norm. I also just can't see myself spending the money to buy an electric or hybrid and wouldn't want a used one. Like one for my wife to do her running around in, heck yes that would be great lest general maintenance work for me and more time for the projects.

While there are places where it's not all that practical to have an all electric rig because you need to drive long distances if you live on Vashon Island where one of our members does it makes sense because everything has to go to the island by boat and fuel trucks have to be barged over because they aren't allowed on the ferries jacking up the cost of fuel there. Add to that the island is 20 something miles long and maybe five miles wide at the wide part. Or the San Juan Islands were the same thing happens. Real high gas costs and short distances. We were on San Juan Island with our van for 4 days and ran all over the place and put less than 150 miles on in that time.

Looking at gas prices in UK and Europe all electric makes a bit more sense.

Google

How much is gasoline in London England?
O
Nation City Price in USD Regular/Gallon
Denmark Copenhagen $5.93
Belgium Brussels $5.91
Sweden Stockholm $5.80
United Kingdom London $5.79

5.79 per US gallon there makes you think an alternative to gas is interesting.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:49 AM   #14
vintovka

The UK can't kick extremist immigrants out and now they want to ban knives what makes them think they will even exist as a viable country by 2040? Electric cars will remain in the "wind up" category until l battery/range issues allow 300-400 miles.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:36 PM   #15
slck57

Here's a pretty cool car/

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featu...ocking-800-hp/
slck57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:55 PM   #16
ptc

I should be dead by then.... dont need to worry about it.

But it is the future - the future is now... electric power is undeniable! -- there is no greater torgue ability then from an electric DC motor drive. Like the video says "you cannot comprehend or understand the torque until you feel it"...

Think of a DEWALT, MAKITA, RYOBI battery drill driver when you pull the trigger... - only its connected to a 4 megawatt power source and a set of 375/45R 20 tires on the rear.... those wheels are going to spin the microsecond you hit that trigger.... and spin until forward momentum catches up with the torque being produced..... let off the trigger a little!!!!

My love of motor vehicles comes from the sound.... A nitro burning 10,000 hp top fuel land or water vehicle is my true love BECAUSE of the noise it makes!

Last edited by ptc; 07-27-2017 at 01:11 PM.
ptc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:22 PM   #17
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by slck57 View Post
I watched a special on that car about a year ago and the owner said he had around $200k in that car to get it to the point it is now. It's crazy cool but that's a lot of dough!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 07-27-2017, 07:30 PM   #18
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc View Post

But it is the future - the future is now... electric power is undeniable! -- there is no greater torgue ability then from an electric DC motor drive. Like the video says "you cannot comprehend or understand the torque until you feel it"...

Think of a DEWALT, MAKITA, RYOBI battery drill driver when you pull the trigger... - only its connected to a 4 megawatt power source and a set of 375/45R 20 tires on the rear.... those wheels are going to spin the microsecond you hit that trigger.... and spin until forward momentum catches up with the torque being produced..... let off the trigger a little!!!!

My love of motor vehicles comes from the sound.... A nitro burning 10,000 hp top fuel land or water vehicle is my true love BECAUSE of the noise it makes!
Our first experience as Tesla passengers left us in hysterics. I swear we felt several G forces all at once off the line. The power was clearly beyond what many drivers could safely control without training.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:17 PM   #19
iowaboynca

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern 49 View Post
I think hot rodding and electric vehicles can go hand in hand,
I completely agree. its just another form of technology that we will be able to use to make these trucks fun once scale goes up and costs come down. Think 10-12 years ago and the LSx swap...back then it was exotic, now go to any car show and I dare you to walk 10 yards and not see at least one LS swap.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:17 AM   #20
1project2many

A bloke from Australia once said: "Americans will modify a blender if they get the chance." Don't think electric cars will be immune to the hotrodder. This one is at the beginning of the curve.

https://www.facebook.com/1320Videos/...5628166917112/
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:35 AM   #21
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc View Post

Just started a friends old 1965 Mustang cause it needed to have the cob webs cleaned out. I had a big grin just listening to it idle.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:17 AM   #22
vintovka

Probably have to add an external stereo system to simulate a big block roar. many electrics already have a noise maker to warn pedestrians and anmals.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #23
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
A bloke from Australia once said: "Americans will modify a blender if they get the chance." Don't think electric cars will be immune to the hotrodder. This one is at the beginning of the curve.

https://www.facebook.com/1320Videos/...5628166917112/
That's pretty wild, I'm not going to lie.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 07-28-2017, 03:03 PM   #24
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
Our first experience as Tesla passengers left us in hysterics. I swear we felt several G forces all at once off the line. The power was clearly beyond what many drivers could safely control without training.
The Design Chief (at the time) was good friends with the president of a firm known for luxury Italian jewelry.

Our distinguished guest wanted to drive a Chevy Volt, so I provided a car and rode in the back seat while they drove around the GM Tech Center and visited.

They were giggling like school girls every time they got deep into the throttle.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 07-28-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 04:27 PM   #25
paintman

Just remember.............every time you see a Tesla go down the road, you helped pay for it. Tesla is one of the most heavly subsized companies in the country. Elon Musk weaseled our taxes to help pay for his companies survival. Along with all the other alternative energy companies. i.e. Sylindra. I wonder how many people would buy a Tesla if they had to pay the full freight for one.
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote