The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
A.Bursell

67 Ignition Switch Wiring Help

Hello,

Long story short, decided to do a little cleanup inside my 67 today, while waiting for degreaser to work on the steering/suspension. Project snowballs as I look under the dash for the first time ever (!) and find the ignition switch wire harness is spliced together. I'm not real surprised, as I have fixed several other spots of wiring on the truck. Everything worked, no problems, I just don't think twisting wires together and covering with electrical tape or using wire tap-ins or household wire nuts is the right way to do things. Everything I have fixed I have crimped together with weatherproof connectors and heat shrunk after (even inside I like to do this).

Anyway, I decided to go after the ignition switch wiring and get it fixed up. I was a little nervous about working in a tight area, but I found that if I unplugged everything and popped the defroster vent out, I could bring the wire harness up on top of the dash and work on it there. Much better!

My question is about a couple wires. There is a 10 gauge solid brown wire that shares the same terminal as a 14 gauge brown/white wire. The 10 gauge wire does not have a mate. It didn't when I took it apart. It was just capped. Also, there is a light gray terminal that does not seem to plug in anywhere, but it is near the ignition switch. It has two light gray wires coming into the terminal. When I found it, it had the other terminal plugged into it and the wire capped.

I suspect my ignition switch is from a later truck (it feels like it has an accessory position, but I don't believe my 67 is supposed to). I'm wondering if the brown wire is part of a replacement harness for a later model truck that is not used in mine? And the gray wire I have no idea what it is for.

I have looked in my wire diagram book and not having any luck.

Thanks,

Adam
Attached Images

A.Bursell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
A.Bursell

Re: 67 Ignition Switch Wiring Help

Figured out the gray connector goes to the heater lights (I didn't even know I had!). But the brown 10 gauge wire is still a mystery. Help?

Oh, and what is with the brown/white wire? It seems to just be a single aluminum piece, not stranded. Very strange. Difficult to crimp. I hope my works holds! I tested and so far everything is working good.

And, anyone know what applications I could get a replacement light holder and pigtail for my heater lights? I have the terminal and some wire, just need the correct socket with some wire so I can splice it back together.

Adam
Old 09-11-2012, 02:31 AM   #3
67chevy1series

yes gray goes to the heater controls lens to light up the little window and the 67 chevy trucks or GMC's never had accesorries position, most 68's had them and all 69-72 had the accessories position.
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
There are two 14ga Tan wires that are for the brake warning light in the instrument cluster and the plug in on the distribution/proportioning valve. This light comes on when you have a brake system malfunction and one of the chambers in the master cylinder has no fluid in it. Many people think it is for the emergency brake but it is not... If you have an accessory wire in your wiring loom it will be a larger 12ga wire colored Brown. The small Brown w/white stripe solid wire you describe is a resistance wire to excite the alternator. The wire is stainless steel and can not be soldered.

You should be able to get a single wire light socket in the electrical section of your favorite auto parts store.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 09-11-2012 at 08:10 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
A.Bursell

Thanks guys!

It sounds like someone swapped in a later model wire harness end at some point, as I have the large brown wire with no place to connect. I just capped it, as you can see above.

That resistance wire is funky, have never seen that before. I had trouble getting it to stay in a crimp, I think because the wire doesn't spread and get pinched down like copper wire. Hopefully the heat shrink will also help hold the ends in place, there shouldn't be any vibration there to knock it loose. Otherwise I'm not sure what type of crimp or connection I would use there. I guess for now I'll keep an eye on the gauge and make sure I am charging so I know my crimp is working!

I checked AutoZone last night, no luck with the bulb socket. I'll try Napa today and see if I do better.

I did start the truck last night and everything seems to work great! Maybe just my imagination, or because I cleaned the battery terminals, but I think it works better than before! Maybe not, but I feel better about it. No more rigged up wiring!

Thanks again guys!

Adam
Old 09-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
A.Bursell

Alright! Heater control panel light is fixed!

For future reference of any searches, I picked up Napa part #787133, which is the right size socket to fit in the control panel as well as accepts the original bulb (1445).

BUT, instead of using it, I slipped the contact with wire attached out of the new socket, slipped it into the original socket, and reused the original. Overkill I know, but I liked the idea of keeping as much original as possible. Especially since the rest of the socket was in perfect shape. A quick crimp onto the original connector's wire, heat shrink, and I have a light!

Adam
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Way to go... I like to use some of the original parts too, as long as they are in good shape.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote