The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
Truck Norris

Unhappy 78 short box 4x4 electrical problems please help

Hello all, I have a 1978 Chevy 4x4 Silverado and I'm having some electrical issues. My truck was stolen and stripped back in December among items taken were my door panels and power window and power lock switches. I found switches off a 79 at the junk yard and everything worked great for a couple weeks then suddenly no windows.. I tried to figure out why they didn't have power but no luck. I then spliced the power wire from the locks into the windows and again everything worked great for a few weeks then within a few minutes driver side lock quit then passenger then both windows. And I'm not sure if its related but the blinkers are not working right now either. Please any guidance would be very appreaciated, this has been a nightmare.
Truck Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Re: 78 short box 4x4 electrical problems please help

Being a 78, The first place I'd check is the wires going through the door jams. The wires tend to break after so long, I've repaired a few over the years.

As for the turn signals, A little more info on what their doing/not doing would be helpful....
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
Truck Norris

Thanks for the reply! I checked between the door jam on both sides and found only a very minor cracked wire on the driver side, could just a crack cause this? Everywhere I am able to test the wires for the windows and the locks everything is coming up dead.. The blinkers started acting up this last time I lost power to the windows and locks. They will only blink one or two times when you first click it on then nothing. I also noticed my amp gauge showing low then high and all over at that time. Thanks for your help, back to the garage..
Old 07-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Norris View Post
They will only blink one or two times when you first click it on then nothing. I also noticed my amp gauge showing low then high and all over at that time.

The above sounds like it could be one of two things, A bad flasher or a short in the electrical system which is probably why the windows/lock quit.

Swap the four way flasher with the turn flasher and see if that solves the signal issue.

As for the jam wires, The wire strands can break inside the insulation. Physically looking at them they can appear to be good but actually have a open circuit, Test for power at the fuse panel going to the door and ground from the door to the body/frame. If you have power at the panel and none in the door disconnect the battery and test each wire with a multimeter set on ohm's scale from the door/lock switch to the fuse panel and door switches on the right side.

It's easier done than said but hopefully you get the idea.....
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:54 PM   #5
lunchbox99

it sounds to me like you might have a ground issue, i would start with the basics, clean up all the grounds with a wire brush and make sure they are tight, if that doesnt fix it bust out the ohm meter and find the end of the power supply.
aluminum partoit heads 2.02,lunati 268 flat tappet,comp roller rockers 1.6,hi-tech torque link intake(Jim McFarland),electric water pump,650 holley double pumper,msd 6al,msd street fire dizzy,doug's long tube headers(ceramic),3" exhaust(flowmaster 40)
lunchbox99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
Truck Norris

Smile Re: 78 short box 4x4 electrical problems please help

Sounds a Little over my head but I'm learning as I go. Thanks for taking the the time to help!