The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2019, 02:49 AM   #1
jerimy75

Aired Out Height Issues w/ PB Mild DM

*Please note, my original title was incorrect. This is an aired out height issue, not a ride height issue*

Greetings all - It's been quite a while since I've posted or even visited the forum... when I started my project back in 2011 and would see guys talking years to build their pickups, I said "Not me" but now I understand! Man, life's a *****! Here I am 8 year later and just now hoping to get to paint and body this year. I'm hoping someone has run into the same issue I'm having or can look at this as a second set of eyes and tell me what I'm missing or if I'm not missing anything, have a suggestion or two for me. Here is my issue:

'72 C10 (duh) with a PB Mild DM with 2" drop spindles. With everything aired out, the rear notch sits on the axle and the frame at the rear cab mount is about 2.5" off the ground, but the front cross member is on the ground and the frame at the front cab mount won't fit a 2x4 under it. The front bags measure about 3.5 to 3.75 in height with the front on the ground (I'm told there is an internal stop at 3"). Now if I shim the front bags up to where the frame is about level with the rear notch sitting on the axle, I have to shim about 2.75" and the frame sits about 3.75" off the ground at the front and rear cab mounts.

Help! Should I not have a 2" drop spindle with the mild DM? This is the only thing I can think of that would cause this to be off so far. Even then I'll still need a 1" spacer or so if I want the frame to sit level. But really, I might be happy with the front cross member a couple inches off the ground, just so I can drag it up a car carrier if the air system fails me.

I will appreciate any help you can give. Thanks in advance!

Sorry the photos are rotated... I'm not sure how to fix that.
Attached Images

Last edited by jerimy75; 02-25-2019 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Incorrect title
jerimy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:30 PM   #2
slowcpe

Re: Aired Out Height Issues w/ PB Mild DM

I'm running a mild DM on my '67. If my wheels ever come in it will finally sit on the ground for the first time in about 4-years.

Biggest thing I see is you do not have your shocks on. I don't think it will sit that low with shocks.

Are you running a c-notch or mild step notch? I don't believe a c-notch rear and mild DM will sit level without doing something with the front. I remember Nate telling me if I was going to run stock inner fenders the truck will hit the fenders before it bottoms out.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:19 PM   #3
jerimy75

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcpe View Post
I'm running a mild DM on my '67. If my wheels ever come in it will finally sit on the ground for the first time in about 4-years.

Biggest thing I see is you do not have your shocks on. I don't think it will sit that low with shocks.

Are you running a c-notch or mild step notch? I don't believe a c-notch rear and mild DM will sit level without doing something with the front. I remember Nate telling me if I was going to run stock inner fenders the truck will hit the fenders before it bottoms out.
Thanks for the reply and thoughts, Slowcpe. Good point about the shocks and I didn’t mention this but I did collapse a shock and compared that length to the distance between mounting bolt hole and the shocks length was shorter. That said, I will double check tonight. I have the mild step notch and will be running Hills Rod and Custom inner fenders.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2019, 03:47 PM   #4
SCOTI

Measurements taken with or w/o wheel/tires installed? They will play into final dimensions. Quickest answer though is if you have 2+ inches of difference in the heights, switching to stock spindles would be how I would do it.

I built my chassis w/o the drop spindles but based the decision on calculated F/R tire dimensions (my set-up is one of the original DM's that came before the 'mild' versions). If I used dropped spindles w/mine, it would be if/when I decided to run a taller front tire.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:03 AM   #5
jerimy75

Thanks for the reply SCOTI. I am running a relatively early version of the mild DM, I think it was dubbed the cheese cutter or grater? I have stock tires from a mid-90's Chevy 1500 that measure about 28.5 or 29.5 inches tall. It's been a while since I confirmed but, this is what I remember the approximate tire height I plan to put on the pickup. I say approximate because I am not completely sure what size (specifically sidewall) I want, they will be 20's though. All that to say, not everything is exact with my temporary set up, but I believe it's pretty close and enough so that I don't think it answers the 2.75" bust. I'm trying to envision how running a stock spindle will affect geometry, if at all; have you had any issues? My concern stems from the fact that at ride height (about 7" at the front and rear cab mounts, the upper a-arm is pretty close to level. I imagine if I drop that down a little (by moving the spindle down with a stock spindle) it will drive the upper a-arm down a little so its not as level... but maybe I'm being too much of an engineer and trying to be too precise? All of your comments and thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks again!
Old 02-26-2019, 11:20 AM   #6
SCOTI

My ride height has the frame rail under/at the cab mounts between 4-5". this is w/no drop spindles @ this point & w/a 27" tall front tire (29.5" rears).

My plan was to use drop spindles if needed to get the a-arms as level as possible @ ride height & w/the final front tire combo (20" wheels & expected =/<28" tire combo).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote