The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2016, 09:43 AM   #1851
robnolimit

Re: Make it handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBryant View Post
Hey Rob I am setting up the rear axle a Ford 9 inch and a parallel 4 link with air bags. Its going in my 1983 Chevy long bed 2wd. I have back halfed the frame just behind the cab. My question is where do I set the pinion angle?
OK, here's the basics. *** Disclaimer *** This is for normal stance street vehicles. Not drag cars, 4x4's, jeeps, tow rigs,...... OK.

To start with, you need to be able to set the vehicle (or at least the rear suspension), at Ride Height. So, here is what I would do.

1) put the truck or chassis up on some jack stands, as I get older, I realize the value of not bending over and/or laying on the floor. Get it nice and level all the way around.

2) With the rear suspension mocked up, make up a spring block (coil spring or bag) or a set-up bar (coil over) that holds the suspension at Ride Height. This would be appx half of the shock travel for a coil-over, for a coil spring or bag, give yourself 3" to 4" to the frame for up travel. (you results may vary, depending on chassis mods, this is for you to decide) But, try to get it close. Kugal Komponents has cool adjustable set-up bars for builders. Check them out.

3) Measure the angle of the crankshaft. Yes, you have to put the motor and trans in. Or, at least a shell of each. The oil pan rail is on the crank CL. Also, you can use the balancer face, as the are 90 degrees to one another.

4) As a starting point, set the pinion at the same angle as the crack. Not 'pointed at it', but the same angle (see pict) Using the face of the pinion yoke is easiest.

5) Now, make adjustments to match the type of suspension you have.
Leaf Springs - push the front of the pinion down 2* to 3*.
Coils or Bags on Trailing Arms - Push the front of the pinion down 1 1/2* to 2*.
4-Bar with poly bushings - push the front of the pinion down 1* to 1 1/2*
4-Bar with Delron or Heims - push the front of the pinion down 1/2* to 1*

OK, that's how I do it. I'm sure others have different ways, but this method had worked great for No Limit for 30+ years. Can't argue with success.
Attached Images

2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:49 AM   #1852
robnolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possmguts View Post
Hey Rob.. I just came back to refresh my memory on what Ive read in this wonderful thread. I thank you for taking time to give your expertise here.

Im double thinking the setup I have going on right now. I did 2.5" drop spindles with 3" springs in front and 5" springs in back... Still dont have all the weight back on the truck yet, but I fear, like Ive been told, that this may be no good. I used your adjustable panhard bar kit along with the shock relocation kit and rear above frame sway bar. What I was looking for was maybe 2" higher in back than the front, but I didnt want to do a C-knotch... what would you recommend? Am I too low in front and should I do what you just said here and go with blocks and 3" springs in back? Still dont have the bed on and the front clip is just tacked on with a few bolts right now, so now would be the time to go back if I need to... the wheels and tires are what I'll be running in this pic... no engine (350) or trans are in it yet... Thanks in advance...
I think your close. And, remember, spring changes are easy. You may end up with a 2" spring up front, but why worry now? Get the truck on the road, and see how it sits. BTW, the hood looks great! If it's not 'just right' when your done, a set of springs is cheap and swaps in in a few hours. I don't think you need to C the rear. (I may add an "Anti-C" post soon) blocks and springs may ride a bit better, but again, I'd leave that till later. Keep pushin and start driving.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:06 PM   #1853
69gmcc10

Rob,

I am currently moving my lower control arms forward 3/4" on my 69 GMC by re-indexing the the holes on the cross shaft and was wondering how that is going to effect my factory sway bar? Should I be moving my upper sway bar mounts forward 3/4" for clearance or efficiency, or should I not worry about it?

Also, thank you for not abandoning this page and continuing to answer questions!

03 Silverado build thread-http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591582
69gmcc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:02 PM   #1854
jlsanborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69gmcc10 View Post
Rob,

I am currently moving my lower control arms forward 3/4" on my 69 GMC by re-indexing the the holes on the cross shaft and was wondering how that is going to effect my factory sway bar? Should I be moving my upper sway bar mounts forward 3/4" for clearance or efficiency, or should I not worry about it?

Also, thank you for not abandoning this page and continuing to answer questions!
I did the same LCA modification and didn't have any clearance issues with the sway bar. It just pokes through the bushing an extra 3/4". I suppose you could saw a bit off the ends if you wanted to. It did introduce a little more interference with the wheel (15") and I had to do a bit of grinding on the LCAs near the ball joints.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:48 AM   #1855
Greywolf200

Does anyone know if welding ends on a sway bar will cause any strength problems?
Greywolf200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:51 PM   #1856
tinydb84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywolf200 View Post
Does anyone know if welding ends on a sway bar will cause any strength problems?
In general you dont want to weld on springs or anything heat treated.
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:56 PM   #1857
tinydb84

Rob can you talk about the addition of tube connecting the body to the frame in order to stiffen the chassis up?

I got these pics off the protouring forum:

This guy was making a cage in which he can remove the body (obviously) but would it be beneficial for us who arent running a cage to add tube in a similar fashion using 6x6 1/8'' plates to distribute the weight on the body?

I dont know if I want to do a cage but I like the idea this guy had.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:39 PM   #1858
Bowtie001
Project underway - finally.

What exists to adjust bumpsteer following a relocated ball joint height?
Old 01-09-2017, 10:51 PM   #1859
68c10airstream

Good question. If your upper control arm length was correct before changing ball joint height you would have to shorten/lengthen the upper control arm length to compensate for the change.

I have NOT purchased any aftermarket front end system yet because very few address bumpsteer correctly when designing a new system. All you have to look at is if the upper control arm can be lengthened/shortened within the "A" arm itself, (this is based on the fact that the lower control arm is a fixed length). Slotted upper arm mounts, eccentric cams, shims, affect bumpsteer.

As i think about this a little more the spindle contains the 3 pivot points, upper and lower ball joints and the outer tie rod end so if the relocated ball joint height is part of the spindle and is on the same plane as stock you should see no change If you had an adjustable upper "A" arm. If not, you would have to move the upper arm in/out to correct for the ball joint change to maintain your desired alignment angles and would impact the bumpsteer amount.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #1860
Bowtie001

Why not move the steering idler and box around and leave the control arms alone?
Old 01-11-2017, 03:17 PM   #1861
Domer

Here are my bumpsteer adjusters i built. They are stainless steel, machined taper to match c10 spindles, with a 5/8-18 thread to use a 5/8 heim.
Domer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:22 PM   #1862
Bowtie001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer View Post
Here are my bumpsteer adjusters i built. They are stainless steel, machined taper to match c10 spindles, with a 5/8-18 thread to use a 5/8 heim.
How do you use those? Not trying to be ignorant, but I can't figure out what you're doing there.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:25 PM   #1863
tinydb84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie001 View Post
How do you use those? Not trying to be ignorant, but I can't figure out what you're doing there.
I am assuming he bolts the tapered side into the spindle and uses a heim joint instead of a tie rod end on the other side. It would allow the height of the tie rod to be adjustable.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:38 PM   #1864
Bowtie001

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydb84 View Post
I am assuming he bolts the tapered side into the spindle and uses a heim joint instead of a tie rod end on the other side. It would allow the height of the tie rod to be adjustable.
Ahh, I see. So are we comfortable using a heim joint rather than a ball joint on steering gear for the street? I thought that was rather difficult and expensive to do properly.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:51 PM   #1865
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie001 View Post
Ahh, I see. So are we comfortable using a heim joint rather than a ball joint on steering gear for the street? I thought that was rather difficult and expensive to do properly.
Many aftermarket R&P set-ups are connected using Heim joints. Not as good or durable (from a maintenance perspective) as a better sealed Tie-Rod end but definitely usable.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #1866
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer View Post
Just curious, what kind of stainless? My concern would be to make sure you are over compensating for the significant reduction in strength between stainless and a tempered steel part especially with an undampened part. Even exotic stainless alloys like Inconels are about 75% of the strength of hardened tool steel and more typical stainless alloys fight to equal the strength of 7000 series aluminum alloys.

I am all about stainless fasteners and parts, for all kinds of things, just make sure you take into consideration the requirements of the piece. Not saying you didn't, just don't want to see someone go off a cliff for pretty.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #1867
Domer

I'm using a 304 stainless, but plan on adding a double shear plate to the top that bolts to the spindle.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:59 PM   #1868
skorpioskorpio

Just checking, blown small block, manual trans and California curves. If you got that speed bug here, you better trust your machine.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:39 PM   #1869
Domer

Thanks for looking out.. shouldn't be any sheer issues.. definitely working on over building the chassis..
Old 01-19-2017, 10:38 PM   #1870
robnolimit

Good topic. Tall or raised ball joints will have little effect on bump steer, and are usually used to adjust the roll center and/or quicken the rate of camber gain. Adding caster, and thus tipping the spindle back, and raising the outer tie rod end pivot center, can have big effects on bump steer. These types of studs are common, and can be found at Speedway, How Racing, Coleman Racing, and other circle track suppliers. Google 'bump steer kit' and you can find a bunch. Good bumpsteer curves come from the initial design, and can be tuned (slight bump out in compression is best) bad bump curves are a design fault, and usually cannot be tuned out with studs/spacers. Keep pushing the design.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:28 PM   #1871
Domer

Thanks for the good words Rob.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:27 PM   #1872
Dudler

This is a great thread and thanks Rob for all the info.
I'm already starting with a disadvantage because my truck has a BB in it so the front end is heavy but still would like to make the truck handle its best until I get around to an LS swap.

A couple quick questions I have are based on wheel and tire width. This is what I was thinking:
20" wheels,10"wide front and 12 on the back
295 or 305 (28" tall) front if they fit and 15" wide (29" tall) MT on the back
5/7 drop - 1.5" sectioned CM with 2.5 spindles and 1" drop spring with coilovers (outside frame rails) and blocks in back

Can too much rubber a bad thing? Wider in the back or matching width as the front?
Better to center the offset on the front rim and narrow control arm or have regular length control arms with more offset?
In the back is it worth the money to center the offset and narrow the rear end?
Do you see any issues with what I have planned?

Thanks in advance and sorry if something like this has been covered!
Dudler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:12 AM   #1873
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Hey Rob, have you seen the Wilwood ProSpindle kit? It has a modular design with a removable steering arm, sealed bearing for slip on rotors and a 2.5" built in drop.

http://www.wilwood.com/PDF/Flyers/fl427.pdf ..................... http://www.wilwood.com/PDF/DataSheets/ds1194.pdf

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:05 AM   #1874
solidaxel

Complete spindle and hub and only 750 more to my build!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:17 PM   #1875
rcodea

Question regarding bump steer and my alignment guy. Specifics on my truck are below. Having the truck aligned to -0.5* camber, 1/8" toe, and as much positive caster as possible. Hoping for 7-9* caster total.

Am I going to have a big bump steer issue?!?! If so, what center link do I need to buy to fix/improve it?

Basically the alignment guy said that anything more than 3* caster would cause huge bump steer and he would not align it, despite the directions stating specs from Ridetech. I tried to explain that the arms take this into account, but he still refused. Needless to say I got on the phone with Ridetech the next day, and they again stated that the arms have taken this into account. Looking through this thread, it seems that the lowered truck with high caster would actually help improve bump steer, but I may have read that wrong....with the 5/8" too high ITR mounting point on the center link....or conversely 5/8" too low on the OTR mount. By adding caster, we are actually improving this....right?

'71 c10 LWB
Ridetech Shockwave HQ bagovers & StongArms
1.25" MuscleBar
new ITRs, OTRs, pitman, and idler arms
stock center link
billet adjuster sleeves
Belltech 2.5" drop spindles
AGR steering box
29.5" height at the fenders, on the 265/50/R20

Thanks!

~Ryan
rcodea is offline   Reply With Quote