The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
Gmtruckguy92

Please help have a few questions!!!!!!!!!

Alright yall so i have a freshly rebuilt 327 (built right) and i have a few questions.

I just started noticing the truck idling weird, as in it idles fine in park and neutral but when i put it into reverse or drive it of course lowers the idle but it lowers it so much that it kinda shakes the truck a bit bc it wants to die. Now i have tweaked the idle and the only way i could get it to where it wouldnt wanna die is to increase it a bit, but by increasing it it has a higher then normal idle in park and neutral. Now when i put it into drive or reverse it doesnt die it just idles so low that it feels and sounds like it wants to die, with foot on the brake i ease into the gas without releasing the brake pedal, usually it should increase the idle and want to move but if i ease into the gas it doesnt really respond and kinda seems like its choking and dies. If i do the same thing but push the gas a bit more firm or dont slowly ease into it it appears like it should and wants to go.

I am unsure of what it could be possibly the carburator? I replaced the fuel filter due to the on it was dirty and wasnt filling up while the truck was running, with the new one on its full of gas when the truck is running, which brings me to my next question.

When the truck is shut off is it unusual for the gas to drain out of the filter back through the fuel lines? (doesnt leak out just drains back into the lines.)

Also i was curious as to how to remove the ac controls on these specific model trucks?, the connection on it is melted and i need to replace the whole unit and wiring.

I think thats all right now.. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED! Trying to get the truck going good for car show saturday. (Its nothing special but id like to take the truck)
Gmtruckguy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
71K20chevy

Re: Please help have a few questions!!!!!!!!!

Maybe a float adjustment problem causing it to load up on idle?
Old 10-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
Gmtruckguy92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71K20chevy View Post
Maybe a float adjustment problem causing it to load up on idle?
if thats the case what or how do i check or fix it
Old 10-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
71K20chevy

Don't know what kind of carb you got, but try this:
http://www.holley.com/TechService/FAQ.asp
Old 10-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
DUALLYTIME

also i don't know what kind of automatic you have but you mentioned it does not want to move when you give it gas. if it has a trans with a lock up convertor the torque convertor may be staying applied which would cause this issue when putting into gear.another problem maybe the stator inside to torque converter may be staying locked up which can cause these drivabilty issues you are describing.hope this helps hard to say for sure without seeing the truck,just throwing a idea out there for ya good luck.
DUALLYTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
Gmtruckguy92

idk what is wrong with her bc now with just a bit of adjustment on the idle it wants to go, maybe its the weather? humidity and heat and such?

so what would be the cause of the fuel draining back into the line leading to the pump instead of staying inside the filter after the truck has been shut off?
Old 10-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
Gmtruckguy92

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUALLYTIME View Post
also i don't know what kind of automatic you have but you mentioned it does not want to move when you give it gas. if it has a trans with a lock up convertor the torque convertor may be staying applied which would cause this issue when putting into gear.another problem maybe the stator inside to torque converter may be staying locked up which can cause these drivabilty issues you are describing.hope this helps hard to say for sure without seeing the truck,just throwing a idea out there for ya good luck.
its not that it doesnt want to move its just ya know how ya do a brakestand, well if i brake and lightly gas it the rpms should go up and the motor should want to move the truck but it wont move bc i have the brakes on, well when she was acting silly id have a foot on the brake pedal and lightly get on the throttle and since the idle was so low it acted like it wasnt getting gas and it would sputter and die, but if i gave it a firmer push on the throttle she would get gas and run.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
geezer#99

It's likely not your carb!
It could be your timing.

Need more info.
What other mods to your 327?
Specs like cam, headers, carb, intake, tranny, convertor, distributor??
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
Gmtruckguy92

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
It's likely not your carb!
It could be your timing.

Need more info.
What other mods to your 327?
Specs like cam, headers, carb, intake, tranny, convertor, distributor??
flowtech headers, holley carb, stock intake, 2 speed powerglide trans, not sure converter havent ever messed with it distributor i believe is just a generic aftermarket one
Old 10-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
geezer#99

Check your timing!
A higher than normal idle will get your mechanical advance in your distributor starting to add timing. When you put it in gear the extra timing goes away due to the reduced idle, then your timing is too retarded.

Set it at 12-14 degrees initial. Your idle will speed up with more timing. Turn the idle back down and adjust your idle mixture screws for smoothest idle.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
Gmtruckguy92

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Check your timing!
A higher than normal idle will get your mechanical advance in your distributor starting to add timing. When you put it in gear the extra timing goes away due to the reduced idle, then your timing is too retarded.

Set it at 12-14 degrees initial. Your idle will speed up with more timing. Turn the idle back down and adjust your idle mixture screws for smoothest idle.
well i know it has an auto choke which ups the idle on startup (sometimes)
Old 10-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #12
geezer#99

PLease no offence but it appears you're a mechanical virgin! LOL!!
Everybody has to learn some time.
Google is your freind as is youtube!
If you don't know how to check and set your timing, adjust your carb or get your high idle on your choke working all the time, then just google it or look on youtube. Just ask for 'how to set your timing on a sbc' or 'how to adjust your holley carb.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #13
engineer_gregh

Lots of questions here. Do you know what cam you are running in the freshly built 327? Too much above a stock cam and a stall converter would be helpful. As the other folks already stated I would certainly check the timing. Are you running HEI or are you still using points? A gremlin I found in my trucks was a rusted gas tank, that will cause it to run good sometimes and then not run at all, very frustrating. After replacing my tank and cleaning the lines and installing a see through filter it helped as I could see the gas flow and also keep an eye for any trapped trash or rust that was still in the lines. What RPM are you at when in park and what RPM are you at when in gear?
engineer_gregh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #14
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Is the choke functioning correctly

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #15
jorgensensc

Check the timing. Freshly built the distributor may be walking on you because the distributor hold down clamp is not tight enough. Is it a little harder to start than it was before?
Posted via Mobile Device

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:00 AM   #16
swamp rat

I had a similar problem and come to find out i had never replaced the rubber grommet in the power booster and it was creating a vacuum leak, i would idle in neutral and park just fine but when i had it in gear it would act like it was choking up and wanting to die, i was looking at my carb, timing and vacuum ports and just frustrated until thought about that grommet, for a measly $4-$5 my troubles were solved..

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote