The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2018, 06:05 PM   #1
Coach

Holy crap - numbers matching frame and cab!!!

So after a complete nightmare at the DMV today while trying to re-register the truck and obtain a correct title (owned truck for 4 years, now DMV finally realized the truck VIN on file for the last 19 years had an incorrect digit, which now requires me to get a new title and registration), something good came of it. I had to go to the CHP Office after the DMV so they could find a 2nd VIN on the truck to verify the tag on the door jam. Low and behold, within 2 seconds, he located the VIN on the frame rail inside the engine compartment and it's a match with the cab!!!! Made my day to know I have a numbers matching frame and cab, a true 67c10 shortbed stepside.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:18 PM   #2
MusicMan70

Re: Holy crap - numbers matching frame and cab!!!

Kudos to that Officer/Official who knew where to look. Congrats on your Renewed Title!
Old 05-11-2018, 09:44 PM   #3
67swb72klb

I had a 72 Monte Carlo once that had one digit or letter that was wrong and the Secretary Of State just fixed it without an inspection Glade you got it fixed!
Old 05-12-2018, 05:00 AM   #4
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I have talk to cops CHP Even a fed officer off duty.After i asked them about my cancer cab and how much money it will cost me to fit it.The CHP officer Sargent.Tells me Trucks are not on any one list to steel back when they where new.So He told me That if the truck cab vin was swapped who is to know.A fed officer Said he bought a 1969 Camaro from Florida.its was a cancer baby really bad.So the shop told him it would cost him over 11K to do all the body work.The new body's that are coming out he bought one the custom body shop swapped the Vin.Not even the INS company put up any issue's with it when he said nothing.He sold it 4 years later for 17,000.its in Texas.Still nothing coming back to him..

Now i know a guy that builds some really crazy hot rods.he put one of them new front ends in this 1953 F100 it was done finished.it was side impacted at a 4 way stop.

When the cops where checking vins and numbers Yes you guessed it.A custom Frame No numbers.Just the vin and the Pink slip matched.All the cops put in there report Custom frame.The Vin matched the Pink slip Ins checked it Guy was payed 27,000 this was back 8 year ago New York.

It just depends if the cops really want to fill out the paper work.
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:36 AM   #5
jamie72

i have know more than one of these trucks to have a letter or digit not on the title, but on everything else.. was told the last one was probily that way since new.

member #807

http://www.myspace.com/whitetailobsession
www.antlertalk.com
jamie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:22 AM   #6
davepl

I was trying to register a car in WA that came from Canada and didn't have the "prior registration". Since Canada (or Alberta, anyway) doesn't rack ownership or title on registrations, it shouldn't have mattered.

They were going to make me do the 3-year contested title on my own car! It was a lot of arguing and multiple visits and getting the State Capitol involved, but I got it licensed originally.

Sorry, I know it's not really related, but when you said "Nightmare a the DMV" I think I had a little flashback!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:12 PM   #7
mike16

I have run up against that issue wit AZ DMV. the officer knew where to look and I had the overhual, repair and parts manual all open to the page that id's where the vin numbers are and a picture of each for him to put on file(or in the round file?). with some vehicles it only on the engine block.

Congradulation though, it always goes smoother when everybody knows thier business
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:24 AM   #8
Old Truck Man

So far I haven't seen a vin on any 63 thru 72 GMC frames? I was told that starting in 63 the GMC,s began to be assembled in the same plants as the Chevy. and the GMC frames all have real leaf springs. So the guy stamping Vin numbers on the frames skipped the GMC frames so the chevy would not be out of sequence?
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #9
brian mac

My 68 gmc is a known original cab and frame. Leaf spring rear, 6cyl ,3 ott. I wire wheeled the frame to bare metal and there was no evidence of the vin number stamped on frame anywhere.
brian mac is offline   Reply With Quote