The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2015, 11:01 AM   #1
The Swed

Fuel tank behind the seat?

Keep it or loose and why?

Thanks!

BTW it's on the road now and running strong.
Attached Images

God Bless our Troops
The Swed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #2
1972BlueC20

Re: Fuel tank behind the seat?

I'm debating this very thing myself right now. I don't really have a problem with the gas tank behind the seat but I do smell gas sometimes. I have a new seal that goes around the filler neck to install but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm hoping that will solve the gas smell I get occasionally, but it only happens after filling up and taking hard right turns.

My reasons for wanting to possibly move the tank to under the bed are as follows :

1) Safety (worried if I get smacked hard enough or flip the truck it could be a big problem)

2) gas smell

3) would free up room behind the seat for speakers

I would need to figure out how to rig something to make it look like I still have the cab mounted tank. By that I mean if I remove the tank behind the seat, it would leave a hole in the cab where the tank filler sticks out.

Your options there are to either fill the hole in and repaint, or I've seen people cut the filler neck off and rig it so its still there but there isn't a tank there. So from the outside it looks normal.

Also as for putting the tank under the bed, you either have the filler coming up through the wood or metal bed near the tailgate, or through the side of the bed.....i've also heard of people rigging something where the filler is behind the side marker in the rear and it flips open and is spring loaded.

I saw recently too someone used a late 1960's camaro tank and the filler was behind a flip down license plate.

Many options and potential hurdles to overcome when doing this change.

Hope this gives you some ideas and helps you begin to make a decision!

Good luck!
Old 02-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #3
EARNHARDT#3

I wouldn't waste my time.

Reasons:
It's a waste of time and money.
I'm not worried about safety. (Not that there's a real concern anyway)
There's nothing I'd like to put behind the seat in its place.
I think it's neat back there.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

Im ditching the in cab for an under the bed aluminium with built in fuel pump to feed the 5.3
ZIP 91351
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:58 PM   #5
bigmac73

well since you already have a Aux fuel door from the factory, I would relocate to that spot,
but I am a tall guy who likes a little more leg room and speakers behind the seat
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:24 PM   #6
leftybass209

Welcome!!!!! As for your fuel tank debate.... we go over that every couple months here on the board, i'll try to break it down into legitimate arguments and not hearsay

Exploding gas tank: When is the last time you heard of one of these exploding? Further, when's the last time gas in the cab of a truck regardless of being in a tank, cup, or fuel can has caught on fire from an accident? Then, when's the last time someone has walked away from a wreck in this style truck where the impact was strong enough to cause a leak in the tank? The answer is never been documented, never been documented, and never been documented.

Fuel smell in the cab: Proper fuel sender gasket, fuel vapor hose, and fuel cap solve these issues. Not only should it be done for the gas smell, but for a good functioning fuel system as well. I'd love my rubber to last 45 years but unfortunately they deteriorate and need replacing. Fortunately it'd cost under 30 bucks for all of them.

Extra room in the cab: Now this is legitimate, as long as you aren't talking about seat room, because they hit the back of the cab before you need the space the fuel tank is taking up. That is a significant amount of room to be used and moving the tank for that reason is justifiable over the other myths.

Lets not even get into the Pinto debate which has already been debunked and overdramatized.

If you have an OCD issue about riding with fuel, that could also be justifiable.
You are much more likely to get into an accident with a fuel tanker or run into a propane tank and have that explode than you are the fuel tank in the cab. Also, little compact cars like to get wedged up underneath the back of trucks, which would put your proposed fuel tank directly over a hot, mangled mess. Food for thought
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #7
1972BlueC20

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
Welcome!!!!! As for your fuel tank debate.... we go over that every couple months here on the board, i'll try to break it down into legitimate arguments and not hearsay

Exploding gas tank: When is the last time you heard of one of these exploding? Further, when's the last time gas in the cab of a truck regardless of being in a tank, cup, or fuel can has caught on fire from an accident? Then, when's the last time someone has walked away from a wreck in this style truck where the impact was strong enough to cause a leak in the tank? The answer is never been documented, never been documented, and never been documented.

Fuel smell in the cab: Proper fuel sender gasket, fuel vapor hose, and fuel cap solve these issues. Not only should it be done for the gas smell, but for a good functioning fuel system as well. I'd love my rubber to last 45 years but unfortunately they deteriorate and need replacing. Fortunately it'd cost under 30 bucks for all of them.

Extra room in the cab: Now this is legitimate, as long as you aren't talking about seat room, because they hit the back of the cab before you need the space the fuel tank is taking up. That is a significant amount of room to be used and moving the tank for that reason is justifiable over the other myths.

Lets not even get into the Pinto debate which has already been debunked and overdramatized.

If you have an OCD issue about riding with fuel, that could also be justifiable.
You are much more likely to get into an accident with a fuel tanker or run into a propane tank and have that explode than you are the fuel tank in the cab. Also, little compact cars like to get wedged up underneath the back of trucks, which would put your proposed fuel tank directly over a hot, mangled mess. Food for thought

Good points man!

I'm most likely leaving my tank where it sits...

Not on my short list of things to do thats for sure!
Old 02-02-2015, 03:58 PM   #8
Bagd72Chevy
C10 Collector

I'm keeping mine on my 67. Its part of the Nostalgia.

In my 72 I moved to the rear for weight distribution and to shave the filler.

In my 67 I tig'd a -6 fitting into the side of it for the return hose from the LS swap. My spare is under the bed.

People will come up with all kind of reasons why they had/wanted/needed to move it or not. Its likely not a safety hazard but there are many reasons to move it or not. It comes down to personal preference.
1967 Chevy LWB- 454 and patina
1971 Blazer - Rusty
1968 Crewcab project
Bagd72Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:52 PM   #9
70cst

I am keeping mine as is ... as it was manufactured.

Hey ... you asked

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:00 PM   #10
The Swed

Thanks for all the input I'm keeping the tank in place. What's the best way to clean it out? The fill tube looks nasty may because the locking gas cap is loose and sat for 14 years in field. LMC for parts?

God Bless our Troops
The Swed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:27 PM   #11
Bagd72Chevy
C10 Collector

I have a tank but you're kind of far. I got a used original 68 tank from a friend that still says US Steel on it. They are easy to find to with everyone going to rear mount.
1967 Chevy LWB- 454 and patina
1971 Blazer - Rusty
1968 Crewcab project
Bagd72Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:45 PM   #12
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I'm moving mine. But not because it's unsafe and all that malarkey... I want more weight over the rear axle and not amidships.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:55 PM   #13
68shortwide

Movin mine. Efi pump, weight over the wheels, free cab space, no gas smell and I'm shaving the filler neck.
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:47 PM   #14
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Leaving mine would rather have the spare back there. I love the look of the filler neck in the cab. If I did move it I would leave the filler don't like the shaved look anymore.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:16 PM   #15
Chevy_Life

I'm looking for a stock tank to put behind the seat of my 68. So if yall know anyone who has done the conversion and is getting rid of the stock tank let me know! Thanks.
Chevy_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:31 PM   #16
Orange67

Welcome! Good to see another Utahn. I will hopefully move mine under the bed somewhere, but I'm leaning toward a Duramax swap, and diesel smells like hell...

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:51 AM   #17
2001convertable

Im thinking of moving it back into the cab for originality.
2001convertable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:15 AM   #18
custom10nut

I went back and forth for a long time over this conundrum. I was going to move it because after getting my truck out of a five year storage (while I was stationed in Germany), I had a lot of rust and sediment in the bottom of my factory tank. I even went so far as fabbing the filler door/tube and collecting most of the hardware to move it. I even had the tank kit in my "shopping cart" ready to place my order. But in the end, I figured out how to fit the soud system In/under the seats, I couldn't bring myself to cut into my pristine bed side to put the filler door in.
Of course this is my choice, and should I find another truck to build later, I'll do the under bed tank. (I'm already collecting parts for a truck I don't have)
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:25 AM   #19
jocko

I don't really like filler doors either, or cutting holes in the bed wood for a filler. Slightly more appealing and subtle, but less original looking than the flimsy metal dealer saddle tank doors, is a grafted in more current filler door - but if your paint is already done, that's not a good option. There are wheelwell fill necks that are almost invisible inside the wheelwell/bedside if you can find them.

Me, I'm keeping my cab tank (along with the two saddle tanks) so I can pass up one more gas station.

Below is a pic of a nicely done later model fuel filler door grafting - saw this truck at Brothers Truck Show a few years back parked next to the orange and black Overhaullin truck.
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:21 PM   #20
2001convertable

Iam thinking of moving it back. I have a tank that mounts in the rear with the spout that comes out between the rear tailgate and the bumper.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:49 PM   #21
4carbcorvair

Leaving mine.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:05 PM   #22
2001convertable

took my tank out of the bed and getting ready to install back in the cab. I have the tank for sale with a hitch as well.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:52 PM   #23
Z10

For all you youngsters, do you remember the Ford Pinto? Where was the gas tank located? Under the car in front of the rear bumper.

Mine's staying in the cab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgOxWPGsJNY
1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:27 AM   #24
brown7373

If you smell gasoline, you have a bad fuel sender o-ring or hose somewhere, that needs to be fixed. A fuel leak is not a good idea regardless of where the tank is located.
brown7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:21 AM   #25
ZEKE68

Leaving mine in the cab. Planning on carrying a spare in the back.