The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2005, 05:56 PM   #1
JerseyGirl
American Woman!

ATM theft! This happen to anyone??

I am sooooooooooooooooo screwed!!!!!!!!!!!! I went to deposit some money today into my account, and I asked for a balance..well it didnt match what my check book showed....so I called the bank.......and sure enough someone withdrew almost ALL my &%$#!@!@!!! money out of my account...left me with enough to buy food. OMG I am sooooooooo upset I can't even type! I had like 4 withdrawls from a freakin ATM machine at a 7-eleven in freakin California!!!!!!!!! WTF????????? I don't honestly know how this happened..but its in dispute now....I am soooooooooooo screwed it isnt funny! This ever happen to anyone? I am seriously at a loss for words....and my mortgage is due at the beginning of the month....man.....................I need to punch someone sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2005, 06:06 PM   #2
PHOENIX

Who is your bank?
I never had anyone steal money out of my account, but I have had people try to charge more then agreed upon. My bank (Bank of America) was always quick and friendly with their help. I was credited the money back while they investigated. All of which were handled quickly and correctly.

I know a few friends who had someone steal their card and use their pin. It was in our city so the bank had them review the photos and found out it was a friend of theirs stealing their money. Not sure what ever came out of it.

I keep a balance to a T, both bank account and credit card accounts.
You never know when someone is going to try and rip you off or charge you a different amount. I caught a local gas station charging me for gas on days I never even went there. My bank gave me the money back and I stopped going there.
People who dont watch their account closely would probably not have caught this.

Good luck in getting your money back, I am sure your bank will help you greatly.
Just make sure you stay on top of it and provide them with any information they need ASAP. You dont want to be the one to drop the ball while they investigate.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:12 PM   #3
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Dam, that is pretty ****ty. I don't keep as close an eye on my debit cards as I should but hey thanx for the reminder. Hope you get your money back and every thing works out ok.
-Later
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 06:15 PM   #4
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

This happened to me once a long time ago with B of A. I found out when checks started to bounce so I went to the bank to look into it. The 1st ? was "did you give your pin # to anyone?" She did like my answer only because it was mostly 4 letter words. Long story short it turned out to be an inside job and a LOT of people were getting ripped off. I did get all my $ back and the bounced check fees and letters of apologies from the bank for the bounced checks.

Good Luck
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 06:16 PM   #5
JerseyGirl
American Woman!

That's just the thing..I still have my atm card..no one stole it...and I never gave my PIN # to anyone online when making purchases..blows me away!
The bank has been really cool with me & it is in dispute now...and they cancelled my card...so now I can't do anything but sit & wait..which is soooooooooo hard for me to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Driving me
I am just going to keep a minimal amount from now on in the bank, and I dont own any Credit Cards...so...cash is it for me.
I just hope I dont have to sell my truck to make up for my lost money...
Old 01-27-2005, 06:18 PM   #6
PHOENIX

Did they tell you if the card was run as debit or credit?
Was it used for purchases, cash withdrawals or cash back?
Old 01-27-2005, 06:21 PM   #7
JerseyGirl
American Woman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOENIX
Did they tell you if the card was run as debit or credit?
Was it used for purchases, cash withdrawals or cash back?
It was an ATM withdrawl..they even charged me $1.50 for each withdrawl..now how do they make a withdrawl from a machine without my card????????????????????????????????
Old 01-27-2005, 06:33 PM   #8
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl
It was an ATM withdrawl..they even charged me $1.50 for each withdrawl..now how do they make a withdrawl from a machine without my card????????????????????????????????

Not sure of what its called but people can set up a ATM to steal information when you are using a ATM. Once they have the information they just make themselves a card with your information. Someone posted alink to this type of scam last year sometime.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:33 PM   #9
dubie

card pin # theft seems to be on the rise by the day. Hell, there was even a thing on the Canadian National news about one of the major Canadian Banks was faxing confidential bank documents to the wrong number and their clients personal banking info, including credit card and pin #'s, were being sent to an auto wrecker in North Carolina. Even after he called the bank to inform them of this, they continued to fax them there. Wonder if something similar has happened to you as well.

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 06:42 PM   #10
rustyold72

Without a card, WTF, I'd say that wasn't possible, does anyone else have a card for this account? Has their card come up missing, and they haven't realized it
Have you had a break in house or vehicle (most banks send 2 copys of the ATM card)
BTW it's a real good idea to shred your bank statements, bills, and any credit card offers before throwing them away, prevents dumpster diving
93 Nissan Pathfinder "Emily" Totaled RIP girl
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee-HEMI powered
87 Iroc Z28 305 TPI auto (crying out for an LS1 swap)

Last edited by rustyold72; 01-27-2005 at 06:47 PM.
rustyold72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:02 PM   #11
ChevyDude

I'm hoping the bank will back you on this one and reimburse your stolen money. ATM's have camera's so they will know it was not you. I don't know...that just sucks big time!!

1971 Lil' Red 350 SBC 700R4

Last edited by ChevyDude; 01-27-2005 at 07:30 PM.
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:14 PM   #12
ed455
Captain Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyold72
Without a card, WTF, I'd say that wasn't possible, does anyone else have a card for this account? Has their card come up missing, and they haven't realized it
Have you had a break in house or vehicle (most banks send 2 copys of the ATM card)
BTW it's a real good idea to shred your bank statements, bills, and any credit card offers before throwing them away, prevents dumpster diving
An ATM car is just a piece of plastic with a strip of magnetic take attached to it. It's not a sophisticated item. Put the correct information on the magnetic tape and voila, you have an ATM card. They are EASILY counterfeited. A crooked bank employee could give a person the information they need to counterfeit cards. I suspect that a paypal account could be hacked and the information could be acquired for a fake debit card.

I only deal in U.S. Postal money orders and Bank cashiers checks when it comes to my ebay dealings. I never allow bank drafting on my account EVER! I deal in cash or credit card only and pay my credit cards with cashiers checks or money orders. Also I deliberately keep a low credit limit on my credit cards just in case one does get compromised, the thief is limited in the damage he or she could do. I have a pretty good net worth but I keep my financial dealing in stealth mode. Makes me less of a target to cyber-thieves.

It's not paranoia if there really are people out to get you.

Last edited by ed455; 01-27-2005 at 07:20 PM.
ed455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:18 PM   #13
TugOwar

Hope your bank gets it fixed quickly Tree.

thats too weird it was a atm, how the heck can that be??
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:28 PM   #14
70short/step

This has happened to two people I work with just last month at Christmas time. What the investigators told both of them that when you use a credit card like at a resturant and they take your card and go ring it up, they have found that the people have taken the number and used it. They were told never to let the card out of their sight when using it. They say that even when your in a store and if they ring something up wrong and run your card thru and tell you they have to run it again to make sure you get the voided charge slip so they dont have your number. I dont know how they can use just the number to charge at an ATM but they did on both the card numbers. Guess the investigators didnt want all the secrets out.
On a good note though, the bank was quick to give back all their money they lost except the finance charges. That has to go through another department of the bank.
Hope it all works out for you

70 Short/Step
70short/step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:39 PM   #15
mblackburnjr
collector of vintage rust

There was a special on t.v. where people would use those picture phones while standing behind people in line at an atm. Getting all there info,and making online purchases. I guess its a pretty common scam right now!
mblackburnjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:30 PM   #16
TsgtE662
2A674 Tank Rat

The Air Force at my base emailed everybody in the unit telling of how thieves place a device over the slot where you slide your card in / out and it reads your card tape, also there is supposedly a little camera also able to see you type your pin number. Then they have your info.
Then another scam is at hotels where you use the computor card to open your hotel room door with. Some places were reusing the cards without reprograming them then people could get in the rooms to steal peoples stuff from the rooms. Or something simliar.

We never throw away our ATM receipts EXCEPT at home where we rip them up.
Since being told about these ATM "games" we now cover our typing hand when we put in our pin numbers.
Also, at stores always insist on keeping the carbon copies of all credit card purchases. Store employees were found to be taking them out of the trash after customers left to get the credit card numbers from them including ATM/Debit cards.
This happened to my mother a while back and the idiots got over $3300. She got her money back though from the bank, and the person was caught in California or Las Vegas if I remember right.
All receipts are your including the carbon copies because they have your info on them.

I wish you luck in getting your money back, which you probably will. They may have you close that account and reestablish a new account with a new card. Like they did with my mom. Very aggrevating I know.

Good Luck.

Mike

'92 GMC Sierra, Sportside, 2wd, 350, Black
'92 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab 4 x 4, Blue
USAFR = 2A674 = Aircraft Fuel Systems Maintenance
i.e. Tank Rat
TsgtE662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:59 PM   #17
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

My debit card has a $300/day spending limit, so no one can withdraw more then $300/day from an ATM.

I think you can setup your card to a max ATM withdrawal a day, to at least minimize credit theft damages. You can usually setup flags for your account too- like if there is out of state spending, unusual purchases, and they will stop the transaction.

+ side, your acct is more secure
- side, it can be burdensome sometimes when you are shopping and have to go through a confirmation with the bank at the store.

Sorry to hear, but you will get your money back, and I hope you get it back in time before you have more grief then you do already. Keep us filled in.
redz 1970 K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 09:32 PM   #18
724wdcopper
graphic designer

tree, that sucks big time. reall sorry some jacka$$ ripped you off. As stated above, ATM cards, or any credit card type object is one of the easier things to forge. I hope everything goes well for you. i also think the bank will side with you and give your money back. dont sell your truck. you'll just have to buy it back in a month or so anyway. who needs a house anyway!? just tryin to cheer ya up! it'll work out. like the others said, ATMs have cameras, so there is a record of this #)(&$&(%(&&# freak somewhere. good luck.
724wdcopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 10:52 PM   #19
JerseyGirl
American Woman!

Thanks guys!!! Ya'll rock!
Here is the thing....I NEVER use my debit card, except for advertising & eBay. That's IT! I NEVER withdrawl money from ATM's..and my bank can check my records on that & see that is true.
I just can't figure it out! I guess people can make bogus debit cards if they have your info........damn!
I just hope my bank is cool.........they just merged with another bank too...and gave me a new bank account #..wonder if that has anything to do with it? I have a headache.........
Old 01-27-2005, 10:54 PM   #20
JerseyGirl
American Woman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed455
I only deal in U.S. Postal money orders and Bank cashiers checks when it comes to my ebay dealings. I never allow bank drafting on my account EVER! I deal in cash or credit card only and pay my credit cards with cashiers checks or money orders. Also I deliberately keep a low credit limit on my credit cards just in case one does get compromised, the thief is limited in the damage he or she could do. I have a pretty good net worth but I keep my financial dealing in stealth mode. Makes me less of a target to cyber-thieves.

It's not paranoia if there really are people out to get you.
Smart move...I guess I will have to do the same...except I dont have credit cards...
Old 01-27-2005, 11:02 PM   #21
Alexis
Member since 2000

They can put your info on a another card, thats the easy part. it getting your info that takes the work.

heck when i worked at a drug store and people used credit cards or atm all the info of there card was printed up on the reciept that was kept for the store, instead of getting the normal ************4512. it wouldn't of been hard to take the info.

it's nothing new, just sucks when it happens. Banks should have insurance for there customer for when this happens. the equipment to drop info on a blank card is easy to get.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 11:35 PM   #22
3100 special
Street Rod Dreamin'

That bites. I hope things work out for you so you don't have to sell your truck. If you get in too much of a bind, couldn't you secure a loan using your truck? You SHOULDN"T have to be going through that but, it might be a way to make it through.
Hope they catch the stinking ba$tard(s)!
"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1776
3100 special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 11:57 PM   #23
Prerunner1982

JerseyGirl, ALL ATMs i have seen have cameras. The bank knows what time they withdrawls were done, and can look at the video and see it wasnt you.. granted its 1/2 way across the country, but someone body has to own the ATM and has the video for it. Though i dont know how long the keep the video for certain days. Also if you can verify that you werent in Cali at that time, you will also have a strong case. Good Luck and if your bank doesnt help you and blows this off... go else where. I bank with a credit union and maybe it just the fact i have been there for many years... but they go out of thier way to help. again.. good luck..
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 02:57 AM   #24
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl
...they just merged with another bank too...and gave me a new bank account #.
That's it. I just recently heard many banks are recycling bank account numbers. So when one person closes their sccount, the same account number is issued to a new person. The original account holder more than likely still has their old ATM card, and was able to take money out. The bank will refund you your money as soon as this is verified.

This is why I deal with a small bank. Less likely you will end up with problems like youn see with MBNA, B of A, Capital One, etc.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 09:26 AM   #25
ed455
Captain Ed

This is also why I don't use Paypal. It eliminates some sellers and buyers availability to me, but I'm not voluntarily letting anyone have access to draft my account. Paypal gives you a $1000 limit before getting "verified." Verified means that you give them you checking account information for bank drafts. Ain't gonna do it.

Health clubs want annual payment up front or monthly bank draft. Ain't gonna do it.

Last edited by ed455; 01-28-2005 at 09:39 AM.
ed455 is offline   Reply With Quote