The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-2018, 03:19 AM   #1
Super_Dave

Wiring Power Mirrors

First off. . . I am an IDIOT when it comes to wiring/electrical. I can follow decent instructions but cannot read a wiring diagram to save my ass. Pictures are GREAT and videos even better!

So. . . be nice. . . you may need my help someday

I got some factory power mirrors from a dismantler in New Mexico, off a 1990 Blazer. I got both mirrors with pigtails and the joy stick controller with pigtail.

However, after asking that he send "EVERYTHING" I need to install them in a truck that didn't come with them from the factory, (with the exception of the main wiring harness, which is newly installed in my '74 C20 build). . . I have come to realize that I am missing a number of important parts needed to do the install.

Apparently, there are internal mounting plates/brackets to stiffen the door when the bolts are installed.There has to be some additional wiring/plugs/connectors, as well.

We (my neighbor and I) hooked up a 12V Power Supply to test the joy stick controller and the mirror motors. We get movement from both mirrors and the joy stick does control "some" movements.

Having said that, there is no real way to connect power to the mirrors, as all we have are the four wires that go to each mirror and no discernible way to connect power or deal with polarity changes. . .

I mated the various "same wires" from each mirror (yellow/black, white/black, etc) with the matching wires from the controller. We ran a lead from the PS to individual wire sets and the mirrors would move in a single direction. . . and the controller had no impact, as we had bypassed it with power directly to the mirrors.

Sometimes, one of the test wire sets would move BOTH mirrors simultaneously and other times, only the controller would move the mirrors but not the mirror the controller was pointing at. . . and the movement with the controller was in one direction only. . . no return movement.

So, to put it bluntly, we don't know what the hell we are doing!

BUT! we do know that the controller functions and both mirrors have good motors, so it's not a total loss.

I downloaded a schematic, which I clearly do not know how to use to identify what else I need and what to do if and when I get all the additional parts.

I do not have the discretionary funds to pay someone, as I am really stretching my resources on the build at the moment. Had I gotten 100% of what I needed and asked for, perhaps I might have a fighting chance.

That's water under the bridge. What I need is some clear, concise, simple information on what else I need to get, and what the hell to do with it when I get it! If you have a 1st grade son or daughter who can draw me some pictures, that would be a Yuge Bonus!

So, here is what I have to date:
Name:  Mirrors 1.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  41.0 KBName:  Mirrors 2.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  37.9 KB

Here is what another member was selling in 2011:
(Clearly I need a lot more... like a complete electric mirror harness.)

Name:  Mirrors Not Mine 1.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  33.1 KB Name:  Mirrors Not Mine 2.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  43.1 KB Name:  Mirrors Not Mine 3.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  36.3 KB

"Life is tough - wear a cup!"
"Old Enough to Know Better - Too Young to Resist"
"Junk is something you will need three weeks after you throw it away."
Super_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote