The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2023, 08:41 PM   #1
kwmech

Horse Power Boost

Have a 91 Burb 1/2t 4x4 converted to 1 ton running gear and a 4l80e trans. Stock 5.7 engine with about 160k on the odometer, so it still has some life in it. Could use a little bit more HP without going too crazy. I would really like to put in a mild 383, but money and parts availability are not cooperating at the moment. Anyways....any mild changes that can be down with the TBI system. I've been reading some info at TBI Chips dot com. The only real thing I see there with my stock engine is a 225.00 chip replacement that will net me about 10-15 hp. Already have a clean tune-up on it and keep up on the maintenance.

Thoughts??

I live in commie calif, so we have emissions inspections
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 01:15 PM   #2
James Lamb

Re: Horse Power Boost

I have a 1989 Suburban 1500 4 x 4. It was originally a diesel, got tired of replacing engines, built a 350 with a quadrajet for it. Went back as stock as possible, GM pre-vortex heads, mid-range cam like you would find in an RV to keep the torque down where I wanted it for 4 x 4 work.
Long story, drove it a couple thousand miles, thought there was a problem with the engine and took it back out. No problem, as it turned out, but I decided to rebuild it as a 383. Unbolted the intake, with carb attached, set it aside. Bought a new 383 internal rotating assembly for $1000, reassembled engine, bolted intake/carb back. The exact same block and everything except the 383 specific parts, no adjustment to carb. I gained 1 mpg driving it on exactly the same drive I tested the 350 on, which is average speed 55-60 mph, some flat, some mildly rolling hills.

My take is the extra fuel economy is due to the extra torque making the transmission plenty happy staying in overdrive at any speed over 45 mph, and the engine not working hard at all moving the truck down the road. The extra hp and torque is very noticeable, I have a hard time finding a hill steep enough where I live to make it shift out of overdrive.

I run tires 2 inches bigger diameter than stock, which lowers engine rpm and there is plenty of room under the fender for taller tires and a "free" 1inch lift. Have 3.42 gears, built up 4l60e with aftermarket controller, have a speedo conversion that corrects the speedometer/odometer.

I finally got sick of the quadrajet, installed a Holley Sniper with Hyperspark distributor, so the ecm controls fuel and timing. Runs much much smoother, starts easy, don't have mpg figures yet for it. I feel like it gave me a little bit of extra hp, but I have no quantification of that other than seat of the pants.

With the 350 - 13.5 mpg average. With 383 14.5 average. I also have pretty aggressive tires, so could probably bump that some more with more road-like tread. Don't know that I will ever recoup the cost of the Sniper system, but I was after reliability and driving convenience.

I don't know what a 383 rotating assembly costs now, but not many mods can be done for less than $1000 with any expectation of increased hp/mpg. When I first bought the truck, more than 20 years ago, I replaced all the wheel bearings, went to synthetic fluids throughout the entire drive train. That got me just a tiny bit shy of an extra 1 mpg, averaged before and after over 1000 miles of driving.

Good luck with the project.
1959 Triumph TR3A
James Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 10:40 PM   #3
chris989

Re: Horse Power Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Have a 91 Burb 1/2t 4x4 converted to 1 ton running gear and a 4l80e trans. Stock 5.7 engine with about 160k on the odometer, so it still has some life in it. Could use a little bit more HP without going too crazy. I would really like to put in a mild 383, but money and parts availability are not cooperating at the moment. Anyways....any mild changes that can be down with the TBI system. I've been reading some info at TBI Chips dot com. The only real thing I see there with my stock engine is a 225.00 chip replacement that will net me about 10-15 hp. Already have a clean tune-up on it and keep up on the maintenance.

Thoughts??

I live in commie calif, so we have emissions inspections
I have an 89 with a 5.7 TBI.. i made a few mods in the rebuild and the motor rund great and I get 15 mpg. Here is the link from a few years ago.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=696544
chris989 is offline   Reply With Quote