The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #4076
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

Way to go Alan!! Congrats on getting the knock problem fixed, and getting her on the road!

We are all going to be expecting a burnout video here soon!! Come on...you know you want to! LOL

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #4077
shortbed70

Wow I had to go back and catch up on this and that knock sounded nasty! Glad it was a simple fix or sum what simple. Trucks looking good Alan..
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #4078
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtechX View Post
Really cool Alan, Glad to see you have it on the road!!! I'm about to get mine on the road too, bolt the seats down, final timing, and alignment and "Hear.. We.. Go!"
IThanks, I looked for your build thread, I thought you had one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles View Post
Hey Alan, Your truck looks so good sitting at the pump, You have done an excellant job on it. Will you be coming or possibly driving your truck to the Charlotte auto fair april 24th weekend??? Me and flips are going to meet up there on saturday. I would LOVE to see your truck in person!!
I won't make it this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogeroo View Post
Woo hoo back on the road and at the gas station, congrats AC !

-W
Thanks Scott!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duallyjams View Post
That's a really good stance , looks good with the tinted glass, can't wait see it with the hood on it.Bet that was a fun 7 mile ride.
Thanks, and it was pretty enjoyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Running Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_man5 View Post
Way to go Alan!! Congrats on getting the knock problem fixed, and getting her on the road!

We are all going to be expecting a burnout video here soon!! Come on...you know you want to! LOL
Soon, my son. Patience grasshoppa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbed70 View Post
Wow I had to go back and catch up on this and that knock sounded nasty! Glad it was a simple fix or sum what simple. Trucks looking good Alan..
Posted via Mobile Device
Really discouraging at first, but I got over it and it was a pretty simple fix.

My pastor informed me that he will be using me in his sermon today. I didn't know what to expect. I went to the early service to hear it and filmed a portion of it at the 11:00 service. It was tied into the last thing Jesus said on the cross. "It is finished". I wish I could say that for my truck right now and some day I will. Sorry for the low audio, but hope you get the jest of it. It was a longer video. i had to cut it short because I covered the mic on my phone and couldn't hear anything. The last thing he says in the video is one day he can step back and say "It is finished".

Last edited by Alan's Classic; 03-25-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #4079
gimmy 64

that is crazy funny but true. the only problem we all have is----- IT'S NEVER FINISHED
gimmy 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #4080
4dranch
Shloooooong bed member #2

Very cool Alan...

Daughters 66 truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=484601

Learning to drive a 3 on the tree:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcCMvRgBo1Q
4dranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #4081
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmy 64 View Post
that is crazy funny but true. the only problem we all have is----- IT'S NEVER FINISHED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dranch View Post
Very cool Alan...
Thanks David!!

Wanted to try to get my alignment a little closer before it gets on the alignment rack.

I used a framing square, but couldn't put it against the tireat the bottom due to the buldge.

Left front was leaning out at the top.

Right front leaning in.

I don't know how to measure caster, but could measure wheel base and get it close. Instead I just set the toe. I wrapped a string around all 4 tires.

I made some toe plates so the tires could move freely. I just used two pieces of metal with grease in between. It does a good job.

i made sure the pitman arm was parallel to the frame.

With all that done the steering wheel was 180 out. I can't just remove the wheel and reposition because the horn button has a fixed contact that fits in a hole in the steering wheel.. I need to undo the shaft and spin 180. I'm not sure if I can do something with that horn contact. I still have spin the wheel 180. The column came out of a late 70's or later truck.

Here are the shims after all this. I know the adjustment is there for a reason, but is this acceptable? I guess the alignment machine might change all of this.

This is the right side.

The left.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:43 PM   #4082
tommys66

Lookin good! I can't answer your questions on the alignment, but if you can't watch the guys aligning it, then be sure to double check their work. I took my truck to a reputable alignment shop when it was on the road before, and when I got home I could pull the shims out by hand, they didn't tighten the nuts back! But I would imagine you wouldn't just drop her off right?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #4083
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommys66 View Post
Lookin good! I can't answer your questions on the alignment, but if you can't watch the guys aligning it, then be sure to double check their work. I took my truck to a reputable alignment shop when it was on the road before, and when I got home I could pull the shims out by hand, they didn't tighten the nuts back! But I would imagine you wouldn't just drop her off right?
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Tommy, we have an alignment rack in the quick lane at work. I will have one of the guys show me how the machine works, but i will be doing the wrenching on it.

I just wanted it closer so I wouldn't be up there forever.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #4084
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

yeah, sorry i can't help with the alignment...maybe someone else will chime in though....on a side note, does it ever bother you to see digital close-up photos that show dirt/dust/water spots/etc. on something you thought was clean?...to the human eye it looks awesome; then you take a picture, and voila! for some reason, your pics made me think of that

My Build threads:
1966 Chevy C-10 "Black Betty"

shortbed, fleetside, BBW, 327 V8/ Powerglide (under construction)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=betty

1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2dr/2wd, mild custom (Daily driver)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601142

Pics:
'66 C-10 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWD4h9
'97 Tahoe https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGZ7wKP
'93 C-1500 https://flic.kr/s/aHskxdpdnQ
'88 S-10 Blazer https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYGx4Md

Previous Rides:
1993 Chevy S-10 ext. cab, 4.3L, 4/5 drop (Sold)
1993 Chevy C-1500 short/step Retro-Rod (Sold)
1988 S-10 Blazer 2dr/2wd mild custom (Sold)
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:23 AM   #4085
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Very happy to see you on the road with your truck. I can still remember that day with my Suburban, even though it was nearly 20 years ago.

I may have missed it, but have you been able to save that hood?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #4086
Coboyle04

You have done amazing work
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #4087
Strodder
Daring to be Different

That's normal for the shims to be that much different from side to side. That's a good idea with the string around all the tires to get your toe close. A good alignment machine, and tech will set the alignment to the centerline or, called thrust angle of the truck. A 4 wheel alignment is a must. Your rear axle has to be square with the center line first, then adjust the front caster, camber then the toe. If your rear axle isn't correct the truck will crab, and that will make your steering wheel off also, plus will ware your front tires because you will be compensating the steering wheel to go straight. That means when you turn the steering wheel your front alignment will be out of specs. I hope I didn't confuse you.
After the alignment is done and your steering wheel is still 180 out, turn the shaft at the rag joint, then you might have to go back and set the toe for the minor steering wheel adjustment. I hope this helps you understand how an alignment should be done. I've been doing alignments with the best alignment equipment out there since 1970. I also sold and trained techs after they bought alignment machines when I worked for Snap-On.

KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT
Strodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #4088
theastronaut

Progress is looking great Alan! Bet you had a grin you couldn't wipe off all day! I got to put about 100 miles the blue '65 yesterday going to a photoshoot and it was awesome, first time I've really got much "seat time" in a C10.

Have you seen the "2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments" thread over in the supension forum? There's some great info in there about better-than-stock alignment settings.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=487363
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #4089
chad64chevy

alan glad you got the oil pan fixed! thats what i tought it might have been! about a month ago we had to cut the baffle out of a oil pan on my friends dads 69 ford truck had a 390 in it took it to a shop to have then rebuild it and they put a car oil pan back on it, sounded the same as yours was sounding! love the picture at the gas station, let us know hows the hood coming, good luck with the alignment!!
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #4090
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by likaroc13 View Post
yeah, sorry i can't help with the alignment...maybe someone else will chime in though....on a side note, does it ever bother you to see digital close-up photos that show dirt/dust/water spots/etc. on something you thought was clean?...to the human eye it looks awesome; then you take a picture, and voila! for some reason, your pics made me think of that
It use to really bug me, but have got use to it now. Once everything is done it will get a thorough wipe down. Most of it is shop dust then I wash it and spots up. I'm really gonna hate it when I hit a puddle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Very happy to see you on the road with your truck. I can still remember that day with my Suburban, even though it was nearly 20 years ago.

I may have missed it, but have you been able to save that hood?
Thanks Capt. pic of hood below. I made some progress on it today. I've got 3 weeks before our meet and greet (in signature). I hope to have it on by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coboyle04 View Post
You have done amazing work
Posted via Mobile Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strodder View Post
That's normal for the shims to be that much different from side to side. That's a good idea with the string around all the tires to get your toe close. A good alignment machine, and tech will set the alignment to the centerline or, called thrust angle of the truck. A 4 wheel alignment is a must. Your rear axle has to be square with the center line first, then adjust the front caster, camber then the toe. If your rear axle isn't correct the truck will crab, and that will make your steering wheel off also, plus will ware your front tires because you will be compensating the steering wheel to go straight. That means when you turn the steering wheel your front alignment will be out of specs. I hope I didn't confuse you.
After the alignment is done and your steering wheel is still 180 out, turn the shaft at the rag joint, then you might have to go back and set the toe for the minor steering wheel adjustment. I hope this helps you understand how an alignment should be done. I've been doing alignments with the best alignment equipment out there since 1970. I also sold and trained techs after they bought alignment machines when I worked for Snap-On.
Nahh, you didn't confuse me. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
Progress is looking great Alan! Bet you had a grin you couldn't wipe off all day! I got to put about 100 miles the blue '65 yesterday going to a photoshoot and it was awesome, first time I've really got much "seat time" in a C10.

Have you seen the "2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments" thread over in the supension forum? There's some great info in there about better-than-stock alignment settings.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=487363
That's awesome that you drove yours 100 miles. I'll be taking mine to work next week which is about 16 miles to do the alignment, paint the silver between the mouldings and hope to hang a hood.

I'll check out the thread thanks for the comments and headsup on the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
alan glad you got the oil pan fixed! thats what i tought it might have been! about a month ago we had to cut the baffle out of a oil pan on my friends dads 69 ford truck had a 390 in it took it to a shop to have then rebuild it and they put a car oil pan back on it, sounded the same as yours was sounding! love the picture at the gas station, let us know hows the hood coming, good luck with the alignment!!
Thanks Chad, pic of hood below.

I finished blocking the hood with 120 then guide coated it and blocked again with 180. Then primed again.

I also took a pic of the column where the wheel goes. Am I gonna have problems getting an aftermarket wheel and adapter for this? I'm not exactly sure what it came out of. It had a key on the column, but I eliminated it. The guy I got it from said it came out of a truck. I guess 80's.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #4091
flips72

hood is looking great, i always did like the gmc hood though. and i loved the way your pastor used your truck in his message, that was really cool, mine used my 72 4x4 in one of his one time. he described how rusty and bent the body was but once i got the body off how nice the frame was and what a great foundation it was, just as jesus is the corner stone of our foundation, i thought it was kinda neat as well.
flips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:32 PM   #4092
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flips72 View Post
hood is looking great, i always did like the gmc hood though. and i loved the way your pastor used your truck in his message, that was really cool, mine used my 72 4x4 in one of his one time. he described how rusty and bent the body was but once i got the body off how nice the frame was and what a great foundation it was, just as jesus is the corner stone of our foundation, i thought it was kinda neat as well.
Cool story of your pastor as well.

As soon as I saw a GMC hood I knew I had to have one.

I thought I had a plan to copy the holes on a template and mark the holes on my doors. I can still use it, but not it the way I wanted.

I got some contact paper (3M weld deflection paper) and stuck it starting at the crease on the door. I also cut the paper to the edge of the door. I figured that would be a good referrance point. Once I stuck it on my truck they were 1/4" too high to the holes in the cab corner.

Maybe the kit will come with a template, I hope.

I guess I will be pulling a string to get the top rail straight.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2012, 01:46 AM   #4093
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The hood looks real good Alan

I have grown to like the GMC hoods as well. I acquired one, but it needs quite a bit of work. At least it was free.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #4094
LowDown
Account Suspended

Yep, love the hood and a great build !!
LowDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:47 AM   #4095
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
The hood looks real good Alan

I have grown to like the GMC hoods as well. I acquired one, but it needs quite a bit of work. At least it was free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
Yep, love the hood and a great build !!
Thanks guys!!

I told myself I wouldn't post anything else til I got my hood on. Well that didn't last long. It's still not done, might go to work tomorrow (sat) and work on it.

Tonight I broke out the laser to see if I could get a good line down the side of the truck to mark the center where the holes need to be drilled. I got my mouldings today. i haven't even opened them yet. I'm afraid once I do I'll just drill the holes and not paint between the trim.

Once I found center I was able to use my template from the old door.

I saw some where the layout for the holes from a FSM, anybody have that link handy? With the laser the factory holes in the bed don't even line up. One hole bottom will be lined up with the lazer and the next one the top of the hole will line up with it.

The red pic is a pic thru the glasses that came with the lazer.

I also picked up a head unit.
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2012, 01:02 AM   #4096
198plus

Alan when you get yours drilled and everything works out good for you, come on to the shop and do mine
198plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:43 AM   #4097
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Drilling those holes looks scary. Good luck. One question though, why didn't you drill the holes before you painted it? I would leave it like it is. Just my 2 cents.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT
Strodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:55 PM   #4098
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

those levels are handy, I used one to get the top line straight on my 60 build.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:12 PM   #4099
daverod
SSN 706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strodder View Post
Drilling those holes looks scary. Good luck. One question though, why didn't you drill the holes before you painted it? I would leave it like it is. Just my 2 cents.
Here kitty kitty. Trucks going to look even better Alan. Good luck. Not as if anyone would see a couple extra holes anyway.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #4100
pdxhall

The idea of drilling into that awsome paint job would have me a nervous wreck, but looking at what you've done so far I'm sure you'll do a great job.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote