The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2018, 01:42 PM   #51
cardude

Re: My truck got hit yesterday

You're a nicer guy than me, I'll say!
When you INSIST on seeing their up-to-date insurance card, and non is offered, a call to the cops for a little is highly recommended...............ON THE SPOT!
Especially when you've got 'um down with a flat tire!

Nice truck! Hope all this works out for ya!
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:49 PM   #52
YBNORML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberdare View Post
Seems to me that they don't have anyone on their staff who has the experience to properly repair your truck... so it is their loss that they turned away your business. Just be sure to pass it along to your insurance company and they won't be sending THEM any business in the future.
I disagree with your statement. I would much rather have a shop turn down my work because its out of their element than take the job and do a ****ty job. Most shops recommended by the insurance companies are just parts changers, focused on getting them in and getting them out. Not really the best environment for a classic.

I see crap like that all the time, people taking on work regardless of their skill set. It can go terribly wrong, very quickly.

That body shop gets nothing but respect from me.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:30 PM   #53
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by old51sedan View Post
That's a crying shame, these ins. companies are so quick to take our money and so slow to give any of it back. This is why people need to insure these vehicles with companies such as Hagerty, Grundy, or other companies that deal in antique vehicles.
Very correct. Insurance companies NEVER give you money. They legally steal yours, and when you file a claim, they "loan" it to you with interest in the form of increased premiums. In other words, you end up paying for it out of your own pocket in the end, because they will make money off the accident.
PROJECT JIGSAW 1967 GMC C3500
GREAT WHITE 1986 Blazer M1009
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:03 PM   #54
weq92f

True this. I remember a past similar situation I did this and the cop had to explain to the tourists that when they cause an accident, even if no damage was incurred to their vehicle, it's their fault and they are required to pay the consequences. In my case a group of tourists in a big sedan ran me off the road, across a grass median and onto an Interstate. If I didn't avoid them, it would have been me T-Bone'n them and somebody would have died.

Anyway... good advice.

-klb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
You're a nicer guy than me, I'll say!
When you INSIST on seeing their up-to-date insurance card, and non is offered, a call to the cops for a little is highly recommended...............ON THE SPOT!
Especially when you've got 'um down with a flat tire!

Nice truck! Hope all this works out for ya!
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:21 AM   #55
Lancialonnie

I have to add my experience with Allstate, needless to say at first I was NOT in good hands! On 30 June a crazy lady jumped in her car and backed up without looking right into the bed on the drivers side, leaving a nice big dent that creased up to the top of the bed rail. She gave me her insurance paperwork and I filed a claim using their app that has you load pictures. A week letter I get a check for $1,200! I call and ask what is this, a down payment? They said no, it was an old 72 truck and $1,200 will cover having Maaco bang out the dent, bondo it and respray it. I go on to explain that isn't going to work and I was transferred to their "Expert" who told me that it was in my best interest to have it bondo'd because if I have a shop replace the side with new sheet metal, I am risking corrosion where they take apart the bed! And I think he was serious when he said this! I fought with them for another 3 weeks or so before they finally agreed to send out a real adjuster in person to put eyes on. He took one look and asked if it was a show truck to which I replied, well, I have shown it but it is also a daily driver that had no bondo on it before it was hit. His next words were, well, we have to make it right so if you want a new bedside, I will approve it. I quickly shook his hand and said thank you and of course you will then have to have the bedliner resprayed and he agreed. So total estimate is right at $4,000, a far cry from the $1,200 low-ball offer they wanted to give me! Truck should be done by the end of the week with a new gas filler door and a spare tire pocket now as well!
Lancialonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:07 AM   #56
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SG.Rob View Post
Aaaaaaaaand the other driver is claiming it's my fault. People just suck sometimes, I even changed their tire for them so they weren't stranded on the side of the freeway (it was a couple of older ladies that didn't even know if they had a spare in their car). Comically, they are claiming that I hit them while they were stopped in traffic. Oh really? If I hit them while they were at a standstill then please explain how my front bumper got bent FORWARD!! Good thing I took a boat load of pics of the whole situation. I've got USAA and am confident it will work out in my favor. Now getting their rinky dink auto insurance to pay out? That will be the real challenge.

Spf 79 and HO455, thanks for the tips on local body shops!
Try an attorney if things get ugly. Oregon law has a stipulation that you can insist on OEM parts. Body Panels and such.

They Hate That! A good body shop will back you up on that.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #57
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancialonnie View Post
I have to add my experience with Allstate, needless to say at first I was NOT in good hands! ...
Right. How many claims do they actually settle this way though when less well informed folks actually see the check and just go cash it only to realize later that they probably made a mistake doing so?

I bet there is zero recourse once that check gets cashed. I also suspect having no prior correspondence is not an accident or oversight. They hope you just go and take that happy 1200 bucks to the bank!

It's straight out trickery and a shame.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:10 PM   #58
twouvakind

I too have USAA , just because you have the coverage through (any insurance company)does not mean they have to pay. I am dealing with an underinsured motorist claim(from 2016, still) on my daily driver. One thing I have learned is to purchase as much insurance as you can afford. There are many uninsured and underinsured motorists out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SG.Rob View Post
Uh oh, USAA might want to try to total it. They just told me they are doing extended market research to find the value of the vehicle.
twouvakind is offline   Reply With Quote