The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2016, 10:26 PM   #1
pamoffa

2003 head issue

I've waited a while before posting to make sure i wasn't jumping the gun, I've had the dreaded coolant leak into the oil for a few years now and my way of dealing with it was to frequently change the oil. months ago I put in the ac delco coolant seal tabs and to my surprise I didn't lose any coolant for months and let it go a while longer and still no coolant loss. So considering that I also had a bad engine tick i removed the valve covers and witnessed a terrible mass of gunk all over everything I cleaned it out and replaced the badly worn push rods and after putting it back together no ticks the oil pressure gauge is extremely responsive to the throttle and still no coolant loss. i might have saved my baby. I have the casteck 706 heads and 100% think I have the bad ones I was concerned about the tablets but I mixed them up in water before I put them in and It looked rather benign to me so i put 4 tabs in and my heat still works so It didn't screw up the heater core yet.
pamoffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:57 PM   #2
pamoffa

Re: 2003 head issue

12-30-16 I still don't have any coolant loss the truck is running quiet heat still works the oil pressure gauge is still very responsive to the throttle. those ac delco coolant tablets 100% stopped my coolant loss into the oil. I was adding coolant frequently and haven't added a drop since my last post I emailed gm about the casteck heads and they played dumb.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:38 PM   #3
pamoffa

I dont have the email from gm anymore wish I had it but they alluded to not knowing anything about the issue in an indirect way. very indirect so I couldn't get any sense from the email and there wasn't any direction to go further with it. so I dropped it.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:10 AM   #4
pamoffa

update it is now 5-6-17 and i still haven't had a drop of coolant loss since I added the ac delco coolant tabs the tabs definitely stopped the coolant getting into the oil my last two oil changes no clumps. history on the issue is in my last posts on this thread
Old 06-11-2017, 01:09 AM   #5
rickpilgrim

Very interesting as I also have the 706 castec heads on our 04 suburban and my coolant loss is very minor(gal every 4-6 months) and we change oil every 22-2500 mi to keep the "white paste" out of the valve covers. I'll have to try the ac/delco coolant tabs and see what happens.
rickpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote