The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2017, 12:19 AM   #1
seattle gmc

Is limited slip or a locker worth it for me?

I have a 2wd Z71 07 silverado 1500HD classic. I will be moving back home to Idaho next month, and im a bit worried about driving my truck in the snow next winter. They had a lot more than average snow fall this last winter.

I was thinking that if i got a locker or limited slip set up, i might get some help in the traction department. I know nothing of rearends, so howhard would it be to add something like this to my truck? How much would something like this cost?

Im pretty sure my truck has an open diff with 373 gears. Im also planing on picking up aother set of rims and getting some studded tires. let me know what you guys think. I will try to attach a pic of my trucks spid.
Attached Images

2007 Chevy Silverado 1500HD Classic
seattle gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:38 AM   #2
Matt Man

Re: Is limited slip or a locker worth it for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle gmc View Post
I have a 2wd Z71 07 silverado 1500HD classic. I will be moving back home to Idaho next month, and im a bit worried about driving my truck in the snow next winter. They had a lot more than average snow fall this last winter.

I was thinking that if i got a locker or limited slip set up, i might get some help in the traction department. I know nothing of rearends, so howhard would it be to add something like this to my truck? How much would something like this cost?

Im pretty sure my truck has an open diff with 373 gears. Im also planing on picking up aother set of rims and getting some studded tires. let me know what you guys think. I will try to attach a pic of my trucks spid.
You want a limited slip, having a locker in the snow is not exactly fun especially with no front drive axle to help pull along. As far as installing, it is pretty involved I do not remember if you have to check backlash on the gearset because you are reusing the same gear set and using the same shims on both sides (I would check to be sure). I think the carrier will be ok as limited slips come in ratio's as low as 3.08. My 81 has a detroit locker in the back and a true trac posi in the front. I have had my rig in the snow once and I had to BABY it around corners in 2wd so it would not come around on me once in 4wd it was a ton better, so add a posi for your application.

Adding a posi will probably cost around 800-1000$ depending on who does the work, the posi itself is about 450$. Traction adders and gears are not cheap and require a skilled person to install properly, the rear end will eat itself very quickly if not installed properly.

Also, I find it odd how your truck is a z71 2wd and doesn't even have a posi in the back strange.
2020 Silverado Double Cab LT Z71 5.3 8 speed Daily Driver

K10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671934

The Peach build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=733903

Matt Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:36 PM   #3
seattle gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Man View Post
You want a limited slip, having a locker in the snow is not exactly fun especially with no front drive axle to help pull along. As far as installing, it is pretty involved I do not remember if you have to check backlash on the gearset because you are reusing the same gear set and using the same shims on both sides (I would check to be sure). I think the carrier will be ok as limited slips come in ratio's as low as 3.08. My 81 has a detroit locker in the back and a true trac posi in the front. I have had my rig in the snow once and I had to BABY it around corners in 2wd so it would not come around on me once in 4wd it was a ton better, so add a posi for your application.

Adding a posi will probably cost around 800-1000$ depending on who does the work, the posi itself is about 450$. Traction adders and gears are not cheap and require a skilled person to install properly, the rear end will eat itself very quickly if not installed properly.

Also, I find it odd how your truck is a z71 2wd and doesn't even have a posi in the back strange.
Are you saying its odd, because the Z71 should have limited slip? What can I do to know for sure if the rear diff is open or not? Im assuming its open because I'm only getting one wheel spinning when the rear end breaks loose (going up steep Seattle hills wet with rain and stomping on it, or holding the break and stomping on it). I called Randy's ring and pinion and they said it would be 1200-1300$ for everything out the door.

Lets say I pay the 1200-1300$ is it worth the price. In the end its still a 2wd truck. So would I be wasting money or would I get a noticeable benefit?

Old 04-26-2017, 05:03 PM   #4
95 S_Trucker

FYI, your truck is not a Z71. You would have a Z71 RPO code, and you don't. Most likely someone put the stickers on your truck.

The Z71 would also have the G80(locking rear diff)

I would put some weight in the back and drive it a snowy season and see how it goes. You may not need to invest in a limited slip.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:05 PM   #5
seattle gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 S_Trucker View Post
FYI, your truck is not a Z71. You would have a Z71 RPO code, and you don't. Most likely someone put the stickers on your truck.

The Z71 would also have the G80(locking rear diff)

I would put some weight in the back and drive it a snowy season and see how it goes. You may not need to invest in a limited slip.
You could be right about my truck, not being a real Z71. That's why I posted a pic of the spid. But the truck dose sit like a 4wd with lifting blocks under the leafs. Everyone is surprised when I tell them is 2wd. Since is an 07 classic it seems like they wanted to use every thing that was left over?? 8 lug axle on a half ton truck.

There is a Randys ring and pinion very close to me so I was thinking about getting it done before I left seattle.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2017, 06:11 PM   #6
Bobzilla75

Second the not a Z71. Just added an LSD to our 06 GMC 1500 CC. It never really had an issue as long as you were patient. But pulling out now in wet pavement is amazing. You actually accelerate.

Your GT4 code denotes the 3.73 gears and the lack of the G80 means it's does not have the factory LSD
Bobzilla75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:32 PM   #7
seattle gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobzilla75 View Post
Second the not a Z71. Just added an LSD to our 06 GMC 1500 CC. It never really had an issue as long as you were patient. But pulling out now in wet pavement is amazing. You actually accelerate.

Your GT4 code denotes the 3.73 gears and the lack of the G80 means it's does not have the factory LSD
Yes I think it isn't a real Z71, but im pretty sure the cheesy stickers are factory.

Ok so 1300$ for Limited slip is a lot of coin. For sure im picking up another set of rims for some studded tires which is also going to cost some money. I found a set of OEM aluminum wheels on craigslist that came off a 02 2500 chevy for 200$ for the set. I will have to think about wether the limited slip is worth it or not.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:00 PM   #8
95 S_Trucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle gmc View Post
You could be right about my truck, not being a real Z71. That's why I posted a pic of the spid. But the truck dose sit like a 4wd with lifting blocks under the leafs. Everyone is surprised when I tell them is 2wd. Since is an 07 classic it seems like they wanted to use every thing that was left over?? 8 lug axle on a half ton truck.

There is a Randys ring and pinion very close to me so I was thinking about getting it done before I left seattle.
All of the 1500hds were 8 lug and 8600 gvw. Same frame as a 2500(non hd). Regular half ton was 6200-7000 gvw. It's basically a 2500 truck with a 1500 badge.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #9
stooler

Man don't waste your cash. Like a previous response, put about 40-60 lbs in the rear and drive a season that way. Also, that leaves a lot of cash for important stuff (hookers, coke and booze). Then you can blow the rest.
stooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:14 AM   #10
edhtrd71

A truck without a locker/limited slip is an incomplete truck. It sucks that manufacturers would sale a 2wd without and even worse on a 4wd. I would get the locker. I've been in one wheel wonders with weight on the back and had a real hard time getting going uphill in ice. Add the locker, add some weight, some good winter tires and go have fun on the roads that others are getting stuck on.
edhtrd71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:16 AM   #11
edhtrd71

Oh and sorry it's definitely not a z71.
edhtrd71 is offline   Reply With Quote