The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2019, 03:57 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Resale vs personalizing

Personally speaking I think if you are building one of our trucks, over personalizing really hurts resale opportunity. Yes I know, you are never going to sell your truck and you will build it the way you want.

These trucks are popular because of the classic good looks they came straight from the factory with. My thought has "mostly" been, build it factory-ish with modern upgrades and you have an easily saleable truck when and if the time arises.

And then C/10 King posts pics of his trucks. I love the way he has them lettered and personalized. I wouldn't change a thing on any of his trucks, lettered or not. I think he gets it more than anyone else. A couple of his latest ones. Such a cool look! My guess every truck person here on the board would happily drive these two trucks exactly as they are and not change a thing.
Attached Images

CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:15 PM   #2
flashed

Re: Resale vs personalizing

I love both of those trucks and would proudly drive and own either one . I only have one truck that is period correct and original , a 72 K10 I bought from a member here in California and had shipped to Ga . Unfortunately I killed the 350 motor in it but just bought a good used one for it .
My Orange 72 that I had restored frame off was no where near original when I bought it . It was a factory short bed truck with a 6 cylinder and auto trans originally . When I got it it had been Hotrodded back in the day and needed pretty much everything . I restored it tastefully , Medium Red paint (original) after rust repair , BuddyBucket seats in Black , Black 3 point seat belts , radio delete ,it had a non working AM , hid a radio in the BuddyBucket console ,hidden ower antenna in a stake pocket , kept the white painted bumpers , turned out well .

Im going to build a 70 shorty stepper next when it comes home from rust repair , it will retain most of its original patina paint , Blue houndstooth BuddyBuckets , Blue Vinyl floor mat , radio delete , 5.3 and overdrive from a wrecked 04 Avalanche ,373 Posi , white steelies with caps from Special K . Cant wait to drive this one .
I have others waiting their turn .
I like original trucks but they are hard to come by , my 70 stepper was original , 6 cylinder , 3 on the tree , I persisted for 25 years and finally got it bought from the original owner but it was locked up tight .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:34 PM   #3
Grumpy old man

I build my trucks with the intent of them being sold . Yeah , I'm going to keep them forever , Sure, I'm a bit more realistic than that . I watch so many trucks that could bring good money get sold for pennies on the dollar . Personalizing is a bad idea . I build my trucks with the next owner in mind ,I also buy a website "potential business " to go with the truck and add just a small web address on the tailgate . All the while your driving it that ol website is advertising your one day sale to whoever pulls up behind you at any traffic light . it works better than you may think . Some good build pictures and info will bring the right buyer to you . Mean while your driving your toy and enjoying every minute, With no FOR SALE sign in the window . Although I think the shop trucks with a logo on the door look cool , I'd never do it .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:09 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

When you have good taste you don't have to worry about this stuff

All popular trends were started by someone who dared to be different... and nailed it!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:22 PM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I keep looking at those pictures and it gets my mind going. What cool thing could I do like this? I love the vintage look.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:40 PM   #6
Mbeef61

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
When you have good taste you don't have to worry about this stuff

All popular trends were started by someone who dared to be different... and nailed it!
Exactly. You like those trucks. I would change most everything on them. To each their own.
Mbeef61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:46 PM   #7
truckster

Central Valley GMC - super cool. But I hate dealing with U-Haul.

Still, there was a logo on the doors of my Blazer when I bought it. It's too worn to tell what it originally said, but it looks like it featured a cartoon duck. I'd love to see what it was once.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:05 PM   #8
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
I build my trucks with the intent of them being sold . Yeah , I'm going to keep them forever , Sure, I'm a bit more realistic than that . I watch so many trucks that could bring good money get sold for pennies on the dollar . Personalizing is a bad idea . I build my trucks with the next owner in mind ,I also buy a website "potential business " to go with the truck and add just a small web address on the tailgate . All the while your driving it that ol website is advertising your one day sale to whoever pulls up behind you at any traffic light . it works better than you may think . Some good build pictures and info will bring the right buyer to you . Mean while your driving your toy and enjoying every minute, With no FOR SALE sign in the window . Although I think the shop trucks with a logo on the door look cool , I'd never do it .
Could you show us a couple of those websites? That would be fun to see.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:19 PM   #9
Terrysch

Good points by both Grumpy and Special-K.

I am one of the keep it or restore to original guys. But at the same time there are some things that I don't like and will not restore to original.
But not paint, original for me.

Paint will probably be two different sides, original and custom.

But our trucks are such great trucks, so maybe a very custom paint job like these two trucks may limit the number of potential buyers, but it may not impact selling price, because of the demand for our trucks. Don't know.

But my ridiculous opinion is that this is your truck, and you should do what will make you happy!
Terrysch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:47 PM   #10
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Im not saying don't do a particular thing, do whatever you want, its your truck.

Ive seen a ton of hot rods and even these trucks that were obviously beautifully done with expensive interiors and paint jobs. People are asking a ton and who could blame them, they have a ton in them.

But when average Joe looks at something with an 80's or 90's "theme" instead of being built in a timeless manor he's going ... Great truck beautifully done, but that paint ugh, that tweed interior ugh, those sawblade rims, ugh (sorry sawblade lovers lol). That's all extra money he needs to spend to change it to his liking.

I guess my long winded point is C/10 King knows how to put together a truck. And when he does step outside the box somehow he knocks it out of the park ... again!
Old 08-17-2019, 10:01 PM   #11
Martyt

Love the red trucks posted above! As for me, I am a purist and love original look that keeps equal dignity with the SPID— not for resale (although it might help) but only for me. With that said, that is the cool thing about this hobby— freedom to make the truck the way you want it.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:03 PM   #12
palallin

Since I don't intend to sell my truck, these considerations don't guide my decisions. I like stock, as near bone stock as can be, and this decision hurts resale value because the current trends are for all sorts of updates (such that there really isn't anything '60s/'70s left). But as I also think the current selling "value" is a bubble at best and largely a mirage, I don't feel that I am being deprived.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:43 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Im not saying don't do a particular thing, do whatever you want, its your truck.

Ive seen a ton of hot rods and even these trucks that were obviously beautifully done with expensive interiors and paint jobs. People are asking a ton and who could blame them, they have a ton in them.

But when average Joe looks at something with an 80's or 90's "theme" instead of being built in a timeless manor he's going ... Great truck beautifully done, but that paint ugh, that tweed interior ugh, those sawblade rims, ugh (sorry sawblade lovers lol). That's all extra money he needs to spend to change it to his liking.

I guess my long winded point is C/10 King knows how to put together a truck. And when he does step outside the box somehow he knocks it out of the park ... again!
What would you mean by "Timeless manor"? To me that would be "era-correct", anything that was done in the time these trucks were dailys and about 10 years beyond... including stock. Certainly what you see done in current builds that most guys dig and wish they owned is only the current trend, as things keep evolving and this is just NOW.

I bet I could build an '80s or '90s style truck that people would drool over, if they can rise above the clouded vision of prejudice. There are styles from the correct era that most wouldn't care for now and you don't see anyone doing it. I have pipe dream truck builds in my head but no money to carry them out. I have seen many thoughts carried out by others, through the years, who had the money to do it. I don't share my dream truck ideas with others in case I come across the money and can do mine first. If I had a rich friend with more money than imagination and good taste we could make a great team. Anyone???

I have builds in my head that would knock peoples' socks off, and would want to buy. What's funny is I didn't go for the 80s/90s trends back then. I always stayed with what I continued to love when others moved on. Now they call that old school. I call it classic, which to me means timeless. These trucks are from the muscle car era, the best years for factory built fun go machines... IMO

In time, it all comes around again. First we move away to the next new thing, but in time we start looking back. Many things get brought back in a new combination of old & new while others go about "nailing" the look from back in the day. Just look at the "customs" that sat half a century stuffed away because they became "dated" and people moved away from that whole element in cars. Now there is a revival of that style. I like to take what most look down on and show it back to them in a way they have to admit looks good.

Ask C/10 King about a lime green 2wd Blazer

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 08-18-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #14
Grumpy old man

This Yellow truck is pretty much what I'm building now , I'm using different wheels a black custom leather interior and more chrome but this picture is close and I'm still considering a black vinyl top . The body remains stock and most parts are period correct . I don't consider this style "personalizing " The truck I'm finishing next ( You heard it here ) Is a 67 HURST C-10 . White with Hurst gold stripes and Hurst gold interior 427 4 speed posi truck . I saw the dodge ram Hurst truck and liked the idea of a C-10 Hurst shop truck . Again I don't think building a theme truck is "personalizing "
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 08-18-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:19 AM   #15
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Tim I glossed over the Blazer on purpose haha!

But let’s take Gumby for instance that truck IMO is timeless. I believe if that Gumby was modified like it is today on the day it came home from the dealership and never changed through the fifty years it would always have been a well loved truck.

Usually we are sympatico but I disagree with a lot you said this time. But that’s what makes the world go round. Still buds in my book!

I was over on the HAMB looking at custom paint jobs ... Flames are my downfall. I can Imagine my panel flamed front to back including the roof. So much for resale, unless I was selling it to myself haha.

Last edited by CG; 08-18-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:27 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

Oh I dunno. You could do a shiny smooth black Panel with flames just right and you'd have people who never considered a panel wanting it. That's what I'm talking about. That's how it works

ps: No probs with disagreeing. This happens with men of their own mind

Tim

Old 08-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #17
Terrysch

ttt - need more ideas and opinions. Soaking it in as a newbie.

Grumpy - love that yellow.
Hmmmmmm …
But will probably stay with returning Jimmy to it's original light olive color and white top. A prior owner had changed it to burgundy with black top.

What would you guys think of putting a light metallic flake in the light olive?
Only a thought right now, so I would value your opinions.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:18 PM   #18
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I like the original stock look with modern upgrades. I just finished redoing the rear end in my truck that had factory 3:73's and added an Eaton Tru Trac to enhance the 3:73's for when I get the small block 400 I picked up and my horsepower will go to around 400 when its rebuilt. It's been an expensive summer as I had the 700R4 I bought last year installed in the truck too. So now my powertrain is 2/3rds modernized and ready for the 400 and its power when installed. I added a tach dash with speed warning and vacuum gauge. I took the Highlander bench out an added original buckets and console with plaid inserts. I can go on but for me my truck still looks like it did when new and the upgardes add to its driveability and reliability. I don't say I'll never sell it cause I've learned never to say never but if I decide to sell my truck it still looks like the Classic it is and I think thats what people are wanting when looking for a truck.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:55 PM   #19
67C10Step

The thing that has always been great since the inception of hot rodding, customizing, or cars and trucks in general is that everyone could do what they want. I like a lot of different styles but when it comes to my own stuff my thought generally leans to the theme of if I finished it and put it in a shop for 20 years when I rolled it out would most everyone still think it's cool. That makes me lean away from a lot of the trends.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's some of the paint jobs I saw made me scratch my head thinking the amount of work put into getting something ready to paint only to put something on it that was going to be "out of style" in a year or two. The paint splatter stuff comes to mind.

Old school look or a nice solid or two tone paint job is like a pair of blue jeans. Never out of style and always attractive to a wide market if you want to sell.
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:47 PM   #20
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrysch View Post
What would you guys think of putting a light metallic flake in the light olive?
Only a thought right now, so I would value your opinions.
I like a little metal added to dark colors. I think it would look sharp.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:11 PM   #21
special-K
Special Order

Medium olive poly already has metallic in it. Do you mean like metal flake? It would be like candy apple green

Tim

Old 08-18-2019, 10:38 PM   #22
Terrysch

Special K,

I meant metallic, not metal flake.

I did not know the light olive had metallic in it.
Thank you for that detail. Still learning.
Sorry for the poor wording in my question.

Are you saying that if metal flake were used that then the color would look like candy apple green, and no longer light olive???
Would not want that color.

Terry
Old 08-19-2019, 01:58 PM   #23
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
The truck I'm finishing next ( You heard it here ) Is a 67 HURST C-10 .
I'm gonna need some royalties...
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #24
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrysch View Post
Special K,

I meant metallic, not metal flake.

I did not know the light olive had metallic in it.
Thank you for that detail. Still learning.
Sorry for the poor wording in my question.

Are you saying that if metal flake were used that then the color would look like candy apple green, and no longer light olive???
Would not want that color.

Terry
You worded it right. The word "poly" in Medium Olive Poly means metallic. I think medium olive when mixed right (I see a lot that is too much silver) and cleared already looks a lot like Candy Apple Green and with metal flake it would be very close

This may be a custom mix, but based on Med. Olive

Name:  5a276f65a0140335a3e88a7a02c92435--lowered-trucks-c-trucks.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  81.3 KB

Tim

Old 08-20-2019, 03:35 PM   #25
bigdog55

When I bought my truck the previous owner put the phrase "color of money"on the tailgate. And its been on the truck ever since. I get people coming up all the time wanting to buy the truck. I don"t intend on selling it but if the money is right then maybe. It doesn't hurt that the truck is green.
Attached Images